Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Insurance Claim

Options
  • 17-10-2007 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

I assume everyone saw this ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7046931.stm

I am actually surprised this does not happen more often , I assume taxiways are designed so that aeroplanes shouldn't touch. But think about it LHR was designed in the era of Lancastrians ( Civvy Lancasters ) and by and large most of the building would have been done by the 1970's and is quite cramped compared to say CDG or AMS

It doesn't seem to hve changed much since the 1980's if you ask me. A340's are huge compared to 707/727 which would have been the common aeroplane then. Has the wingspan of a 747-400 grown as compared to a 747-100/200 ? ....yes by 20 feet .. that could have been enough to make the taxiways too small !

When I was there on Sat a KAL 747-400 taxied past and I reckon the wingtips were only 6-7 feet away ( ok may have been 12 feet but not much more ).

Has anyone seen this happen ? or been involved ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

We have had a few of incidents like this at LHR. The only reason the media had any interest is because of the video footage.

All departing aircraft crews are warned that 'wing tip clearance is not assured' on all taxiways to, and at the holding points for take-off.

An example of an incident was March 2004 an Aer Lingus A321 had a BA 747-400 winglet tear through it's rudder.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_032603.pdf

It is now down too the AAIB and the insurance investigators to work out what went wrong and cost.

Advertisement