Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulging Laminate Floorboards

Options
  • 17-10-2007 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Help needed.

Put down laminate floorboards months ago in new apartment and recently they have started to bulge right at the entrance to the living room. Is there anyway I can fix this easily without pulling up the section of board? It never got wet apart from washing the floor, all I can think of is the storage heater is beside it and may have warped them, but I cant see how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Did you leave an expansion gap at the edges and depending on the floor type did you need to use any underlay insulation? It's unusual for this to happen once the guidelines are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭theram

Hmmm, left gaps but do think that may be the problem, perhaps didnt leave wide enough gaps. Any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Can you chisel off the required material to open the gap?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Can you chisel off the required material to open the gap?

Not sure what you mean by this? I can lift up the border at the skirting board?

What I mean is that, can you can find out where the flooring is touching off the wall or threshold, can you use a chisel to remove a milimeter or two and lessen the pressure?

• Advertisement

Yea that was the way I was going to go at it, but I have a feeling the bulge has damaged the floorboards too much at this stage. Am going to try that but have a feeling I have have to replace one or two of the boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

I had this problem about 8 weeks ago when I got the en-suite floor tiled and the laminate floor in the bedroom bulged. Obviously the moisture from the tiling was the cause as the floor had been down for about 6 months without any problem. I had to take off a piece of skirting and chisel out the section of laminate where it had expanded against the concrete wall. I left the skirting off for 2 - 3 weeks before re-fixing it in case I needed to take off more of the floor.

Anyway, after about 3 or 4 days, the bulge in the laminate had disappeared totally and now everything is ok.

Right, chisel seems to be my answer, thats my Saturday morning sorted anyway, cheers lads.

Quality chisel time, sponsored by boards.ie!

Advertisement