Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many licenses can one perosn hold???

Options
  • 17-10-2007 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

hi,

just dropping a line to find out if anyone has any idea extactly how many licences can one person hold..i know its practically impossible to hold two licenses for the same calibre of weapon, bar a .22lr and a shotgun.....but is there a fixed number of guns that a person can own...???? any help would be great...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There is no limit, not to the number of licences in total, nor to the number of licences for the same calibre of firearm. You don't get a licence for a weapon, since a weapon is defined as something used to harm someone else :D

The sole limit is your local superintendent. If he's happy for you to have 500 firearms, then you can. (Most will start to want serious security measures before that point, mind you :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

good point on the 'weapon', however would your trigger finger not be the main culprit with the firearm merely a medium for the action!:D:D:D
    so its completely down to the super.....my house had to be converted to fortknox for a .22lr pistol so i cant imagine he would want much more, bar maybe a propose built secure storage facility with 'armed' security!!!

i cant imagine he would want much more, bar maybe a propose built secure storage facility with 'armed' security!
    And good luck telling him he can't ask for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

As Sparks correctly(as ever) says-
    Sadly it seems to be up to the local Super's whim.

I did have trouble in the past getting extra licences and even this year I sold one gun, got another and the local Superintendent sent out the crime prevention officer to inspect my security arrangements AGAIN before issuing a simple change on the licence. Sigh.

I have 6, 3 the same calibre.

I know someone who had at one time, 14, yes 14 licences and I'm sure there are forum members here who can top that! In my experience you just have to explain to the police why you want another gun; for example, shooting rabbits with a .22, long range paper targets with a .243, foxes with a .220 swift, trap clays with your trap shotgun, sporting clays with a sporter, practical with a 9mm, African game with a .375, pigeons in a shed with a .410, geese with a 10 bore............
    Be ready to have your excuses to hand if the local Garda says "sure why would you want another rifle?".
    Again in my experience a lot of Gardai don't know anything about guns except that they are an administrative nightmare and another thing to be stolen and used by criminals.

You must research the gun you want, blind them with - ammo cost comparisons, muzzle velocity, trajectory data, muzzle report, down range energy, tell them exactly what job you need this particular tool for. Most of the time they come round but sadly regional Garda divisions vary wildly on what they deem 'allowed'.

Others may well post saying that this is all nonsense and just go in to the local station and demand your entitlements. I know people who tried this and they eventually got their gun, eventually being the operative word. Just my two cent on what has worked for me. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

thanks g17...if someone was to steal any of our firearms, we have a few safes, which ever one they didnt get they would soon find a warm burning feeling in the knee region followed by a leather injection in the hind quarters!!! and if that didnt work and 'wee' brother would be sent forth to question there reasonings!!!! i think our super is grand, i have had to meet him once and he said that he was happy that i had done what he had asked....hoping to get that in writing now, could be a different kettle of foxes!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

G17 wrote: »

I did have trouble in the past getting extra licences and even this year I sold one gun, got another and the local Superintendent sent out the crime prevention officer to inspect my security arrangements AGAIN before issuing a simple change on the licence. Sigh.

Guy in my area had the same (new super:eek:), what area are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Enniscorthy in County Wexford houses my local Superintendent.

G17 wrote: »
    In my experience you just have to explain to the police why you want another gun; for example, shooting rabbits with a .22, long range paper targets with a .243, foxes with a .220 swift, trap clays with your trap shotgun, sporting clays with a sporter, practical with a 9mm, African game with a .375, pigeons in a shed with a .410, geese with a 10 bore............
    Be ready to have your excuses to hand if the local Garda says "sure why would you want another rifle?".
    If the local Garda plays golf, the usual comparison seems to be "well, you know how you've got twenty different golf clubs for different kinds of shots?"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    If the local Garda plays golf, the usual comparison seems to be "well, you know how you've got twenty different golf clubs for different kinds of shots?"...

Not a golfer then Sparks :D:D:D

If you're into ISSF shooting you could conceivably have:

.177 Air Pistol (10m)
    .22 Free Pistol (50m)
    .22 Target pistol (25m Standard)
    .22 Target pistol (25m Rapid Fire)
    .32 Target pistol (25m)
    .22 Target Rifle (50m)
    .177 Air Rifle (10m)
    6mm Target Rifle (300m)

That's eight in total and a sleeping bag on the range :D

rrpc wrote: »
    Not a golfer then Sparks :D:D:D
    Nope, but I'll use a good metaphor if it's there!
    .177 Air Pistol (10m)
    .22 Free Pistol (50m)
    .32 Target pistol (25m)
    .22 Target Rifle (50m)
    .177 Air Rifle (10m)
    6mm Target Rifle (300m)
    *cough*youforgottheissfshotgunstuffandtherunningtargetairrifle*cough*
    And you'll need the sleeping bag because that's a total of €1360 in licence fees (and the guts of €2000 by the time you add the running target rifle and the trap and skeet shotguns!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Answers which you should avoid if at all possible are:

I am lonely and they keep me company.....:eek:

I have a big bed......:eek:

They ask me to adopt them.....:eek:

On a more serious side:

I recently bought a new shot gun which puts me into the 3 shot gun and a 22 wmr category.

Before I bought the gun I went down to the FAO and asked him out straight would there be any hassel, that i didn't particularly want to get rid of my old O/U for sentimental reasons. We had a good chat about all things shooting and he said it would be ok. That was 9 weeks ago (wheres me Licence:mad:) anyway if the guy is approachable have a chat, I am of the opinion he is the guy that will vouch for you to the Super...........

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

.177 Air Pistol (10m)
    .22 Free Pistol (50m)
    .32 Target pistol (25m)
    .22 Target Rifle (50m)
    .177 Air Rifle (10m)
    6mm Target Rifle (300m)

If you also shoot other disciplines

For IPSC, you need a centerfire pistol 9mm upwards, depending on whether you want to score minor or major, and also depending on division.

For WA1500 you need a good quality .38 revolver, or semi auto for the auto disciplines.

Gallery rifle, a centerfire lever action rifle. Silouette, a decent .22 rifle suitable for this event.

Second mortgage, increase on Credit card limit and a very, very understandable wife who wont object to you living in a caravan on the range!!:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

.177 Air Pistol (10m)
    .22 Free Pistol (50m)
    .32 Target pistol (25m)
    .22 Target Rifle (50m)
    .177 Air Rifle (10m)
    6mm Target Rifle (300m)

That's eight in total and a sleeping bag on the range
    I see you guys have a pistol category of '25m Centre Fire' for 'Any centre–fire pistol except single shot, of calibre 7.62 mm to 9.65 mm (.30” – 38”).
    Is that where the .32 Target Pistol mentioned above comes in, and if so, does anyone use .38/9mm firearms as allowed by the rules?

Also, it would appear that there a couple of full-bore rifle classes, 300 Metre Rifle and 300 Metre Standard Rifle, both of which allow up to 8mm calibre.
    Is this what the 6mm Target Rifle above is for, and does anyone use anything bigger (up to the 8mm limit)?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Rovi wrote: »
    I see you guys have a pistol category of '25m Centre Fire' for 'Any centre–fire pistol except single shot, of calibre 7.62 mm to 9.65 mm (.30” – 38”).
    Is that where the .32 Target Pistol mentioned above comes in, and if so, does anyone use .38/9mm firearms as allowed by the rules?

Also, it would appear that there a couple of full-bore rifle classes, 300 Metre Rifle and 300 Metre Standard Rifle, both of which allow up to 8mm calibre.
    Is this what the 6mm Target Rifle above is for, and does anyone use anything bigger (up to the 8mm limit)?

As far as I know (which is very little), pretty much everyone uses .32 S&W Long for 25m centre-fire and 6mm BR Norma for 300m.

There's probably a lot of inertia in the choices of those rounds simply because the manufacturers who make firearms which are the most accurate ones that fit the rules don't offer a lot of choice in calibres (from what I've seen). In fact, a quick skim around the usual suspects for the pistols (Hämmerli, Morini, Pardini, Walther) shows them all offering .22LR or .32 S&W Long pistols only in their ISSF-style pistol ranges.

IRLConor wrote: »
    As far as I know (which is very little), pretty much everyone uses .32 S&W Long for 25m centre-fire and 6mm BR Norma for 300m.

There's probably a lot of inertia in the choices of those rounds simply because the manufacturers who make firearms which are the most accurate ones that fit the rules don't offer a lot of choice in calibres (from what I've seen). In fact, a quick skim around the usual suspects for the pistols (Hämmerli, Morini, Pardini, Walther) shows them all offering .22LR or .32 S&W Long pistols only in their ISSF-style pistol ranges.

Rovi's question could be answered in the affirmative in that any pistol that conforms to the rules can be used. Must fit in the measurement box, must have the minimum trigger weight, sight radius and max barrel length as well as grip characteristics and maximum magazine capacity.

So a 9mm would work, but you wouldn't want to be handicapping yourself by using say a Glock 17 with a reduced mag. Don't forget Rovi that you have to hit a 2" 10 ring at 25m shooting freehand (one handed).

When we are running a .22 target pistol event in Rathdrum, we don't limit entries to ISSF pistols only. We do insist that whatever's being used can actiually hit the target though. :D

Having said that, Alan Kelly of CDPC won the last event using a Browning Buckmark fitted with Nill grips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rovi's question could be answered in the affirmative in that any pistol that conforms to the rules can be used. Must fit in the measurement box, must have the minimum trigger weight, sight radius and max barrel length as well as grip characteristics and maximum magazine capacity.

So a 9mm would work, but you wouldn't want to be handicapping yourself by using say a Glock 17 with a reduced mag. Don't forget Rovi that you have to hit a 2" 10 ring at 25m shooting freehand (one handed).

When we are running a .22 target pistol event in Rathdrum, we don't limit entries to ISSF pistols only. We do insist that whatever's being used can actiually hit the target though. :D

Having said that, Alan Kelly of CDPC won the last event using a Browning Buckmark fitted with Nill grips.
    Fair enough, thanks for that.

I asked because I had a vague recollection of full-bore stuff existing somewhere within the Olympic firmament; a bit of research on the ISSF website revealed that the disciplines do exist, but we only ever seem to hear about .177 airgun and .22 rimfire.
    Does anyone in Ireland actually participate in these categories?

Rovi wrote: »
    Fair enough, thanks for that.

I asked because I had a vague recollection of full-bore stuff existing somewhere within the Olympic firmament; a bit of research on the ISSF website revealed that the disciplines do exist, but we only ever seem to hear about .177 airgun and .22 rimfire.
    Does anyone in Ireland actually participate in these categories?

Not in the 26 counties so far Rovi. The problem is twofold. First issue is getting a licence for "another pistol!!!" and the second one is finding a range to use it. There are only a handful of .32 target pistols in the country as far as I can make out.

ISSF shooting is tough - target wise. For the centre fire discipline you have 6 series of five shots on the Precision target (the one with the 2" 10 ring) in five minutes a series. For that you may not need turning targets, but there's a lot of target changing involved. Then you move to the rapid stage on the RF target (4" 10 ring) and get 3 seconds a shot for 30 shots. Each shot is taken on a turn of the target, so either electronic or turning targets are essential.

AFAIK there are only two ranges in the country with turning or electronic targets. Rathdrum has electronic targets but are limited to .22 and Fermoy have turning targets. So in reality there's only one that can host centrefire competitions. I know that Midlands were looking into the whole electronic/turning target business for their pistol range, but i don't know if they've progressed this in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Hilltop have pneumatic turning targets on the indoor range, you can use centerfire, but they dont have the 25meters required for this discipline. Pity, but due to the physical limitation of the building.

Kryten wrote: »
    Hilltop have pneumatic turning targets on the indoor range, you can use centerfire, but they dont have the 25meters required for this discipline. Pity, but due to the physical limitation of the building.

That's a real pity. I knew it was shorter than 25m, but don't know actually how long it is. Is it 20m or even less?

It's just over 20m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Not in the 26 counties so far Rovi.

Are the Army Team no longer doing 300m? (Or were they only ever doing the pure CISM events?)

It's just over 20m.

I should add one of the new indoor ranges will be 30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

It's just over 20m.

It's far enough !!

It looks to be more than 20 - if you put it all the way down to the back wall it must be 22 or 23.

One second exposures at that distance is tough - even with something like the .38 revolver.

When Pat does his XMas Pistol Comp we can get him to include turning targets in the COF - you'll be wishing it wasn't > 20M then :-)

B'Man

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Are the Army Team no longer doing 300m? (Or were they only ever doing the pure CISM events?)
    I think rrpc was talking about the fullbore ISSF pistol stuff only Sandy, the PDF team still do 300m shooting out of the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I think rrpc was talking about the fullbore ISSF pistol stuff only Sandy, the PDF team still do 300m shooting out of the Midlands.

The questioner was asking about fullbore and pistol, but I take your point. Glad to hear the lads haven't given up on the 300m.

Bananaman wrote: »
    It's far enough !!
    Ah, where's the challange when you can touch the target with the barrel? :D

Ah, where's the challange when you can touch the target with the barrel? :D

What lenght barrel do ye guys use???:D

Ah, where's the challange when you can touch the target with the barrel?

"Sound of glove slapping across face"

When the Hilltop XMas Pistol Comp is announced come and show us how it's done.

I don't plan on buying a turkey this year - do you? :-)

B'Man

• Advertisement

I should add one of the new indoor ranges will be 30m.

It seems every time I go up these days most if not all of the bays are in use - I usually manage to squeeze my svelte frame in somewhere.

By next winter with another summer of Practical under the belts and a fresh crop of Pistol Shooters - he'll need more indoor ranges.

Seems like the ISSF boys need it too.

Any news? Pray tell?

B'Man

Advertisement