Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fold-up bike

Options
  • 17-10-2007 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking to buy a fold up bike. Willing to spend a bit of cash on it as well. Anyone got any recommendations or what I should look out for?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Brompton - folds up into the neatest, smallest package. Great piece of engineering. Not the cheapest though.

Dahon make nice ones too, but don't fold up as compactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you were looking for a bargain, Wheelworx in Clondalkin has a Raleigh Phillips Promenade display model marked down from 300 to 230.
    I just noticed that it is all steel and therefore heavy - 13kg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Alot of fold up bikes, even the Brompton ones are made of steel.

The brompton ones look very very nice, but expensive. Dahon have a full size one, might have a look at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Brompton are without a doubt the best folders if compactness is your main requirement. If it's comfort (read -> distance) you require, then I'd recommend the Downtube VIIIFS, I'm using one of these and while they don't fold as small as Dahon or Brompton they are very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Brompton all the way. Now you can even order it with Titanium bits that make them lighter.

I use it to tour around the country and I've cycled 60+ km on it in one go.

Dahon are ok too, but way behind.

But before you should decide what your priority is and what you are going to use it for: portabillity, riding quality, weight, folding size, etc.

Rule of thumb with any of them: never ever lock leave the on the street. When you buy it, think about something that you will have to take with you everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Not sure how easy these would be to source buy Strida folding bikes look pretty interesting. http://www.strida.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

memorex wrote: »
    Not sure how easy these would be to source buy Strida folding bikes look pretty interesting. http://www.strida.com/

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Crappy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.pashley.co.uk/lists/pashley-moulton-tsr.html not cheap SRP : £1350.00

pashleytsr30db_folded.jpg
    Pashley Moulton TSR30 DB S Drop Handlebar (Separated)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

gzoladz wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Crappy!

Just curious here - have you tried one or heard any reports on them? They look a little odd, the seating position is different, but they seem a _lot_ less cumbersome than a typical folding bike.
    -mem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

I got a dahon (speed 8) and would highly recommend them. You wouldn't want to have to fold them up a couple of times every day, but what they lack in foldability they make up for in ridability. Wheels on most models are 20 inch which is a bit bigger than a brompton as far as i know (correct me if i'm wrong).

you can fold them in about 30 sec..not as fast as other, but it's still easy enough but a bit awkward if you want to hop on and off the luas/dart a couple of times a day.

I did the wicklow challenger 100km on it earlier this year...didnt see any bromptons there :p

If you happen to be in china for any reason, you'll pick one up there for half what you pay in this part of the world. Can fit them into a large suitcase and bring it home with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

It all depends on how you value compact/speedy folding versus quality of ride. There are models at both ends of that scale and lots in between.

Of the folders that are not cheapos and that you could actually ride in relative comfort:
    Brompton - excellent for quick folding, compact folded package, decent ride.

Birdy - a more comfortable and faster ride than the brompton. doesn't fold as small, but folds pretty quickly.

Bike Friday (excluding the tikit) - better ride than the Birdy, doesn't fold as quickly or as small. bike friday build bikes that you want to ride far and often, but don't fold quite so often.

Moulton / Pashley Moulton - the best ride by far. Better than most normal bikes too. It has held a world speed record (for all upright bikes, not just folders) for over 20 years, and have been ridden in comfort around the world. Doesn't fold though - has a nifty separation mechanism. Good for sticking into the back of your car occasionally but not for taking on the train every day.

The bike friday tikit is the new kid on the block - folds super fast, and rides pretty well, though not like their other models. more brompton / birdy like. check out the video on their website.

There are cheap folders and there are ultra compact folders (like strida and sinclair) but I dont think they're worth a crap. Dahon are worth a look, but I personally would pick from the above list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Airnimal (www.airnimal.com) is another brand that might be worth considering. Again, they are likely to be a compromise of comfort, speed, and convenience, but whenever I have seen them mentioned (magazines mostly) they tend to get quite a bit of praise.

The Cycling Plus website can be a useful place to check for reviews. The reviews in their monthly magazine tend to be comprehensive, and seem fair. Not all of these reviews are accessible via the website though, but here is some info (not their typical kind of review, unfortunately) on some of the Dahon options:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/dahon-launch-lightest-ever-folder-12312

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

memorex wrote: »
    Just curious here - have you tried one or heard any reports on them? They look a little odd, the seating position is different, but they seem a _lot_ less cumbersome than a typical folding bike.
    -mem

I have one, a STRIDA 2 I bought on eBay last year.
    To be honest I've never ridden it far (finished up working in the city shortly after), but after getting used to cycling it I could see how it would be beneficial for doing shorter trips in and around towns/cities. Also, it's possible to buy a bag to store it in which would be handy for walking onto trains or buses (available on their website).

PM me for more details.

http://www.dahon.com/us/folding-bicycles-us-utility.htm

Just noticed that the dahon video promo was filmed in Dublin...is there any place here that actually stocks a selection of dahons?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

It depends on your budget. The Brompton although expensive have a good resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Hi

I am thinking about buying a Fold-up bike to use from Castleknock Station to Rosemount Buisness Park in Blanchardstown

Looking for advice on what bike should I use for this and what other accessories and gears I would need ??

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

:mad:
    Brompton are without a doubt the best folders if compactness is your main requirement. If it's comfort (read -> distance) you require, then I'd recommend the Downtube VIIIFS, I'm using one of these and while they don't fold as small as Dahon or Brompton they are very comfortable

There is was going on about my folder only the other day and then some s**mbag nicked it
    Please keep and eye out for a white Downtube VIIIFS, it has front and rear suspension, and very narrow tyres.
    product_347005.jpg PM me if you see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Isn't there a company out there that turns regular bikes into foldable ones? AFAIK you send them your bike and they do the whole job - cut the frame, and put in connectors for the brakes and gears I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Isn't there a company out there that turns regular bikes into foldable ones? AFAIK you send them your bike and they do the whole job - cut the frame, and put in connectors for the brakes and gears I think.
    You are probably thinking of S&S Couplings. You can have an existing bike cut, but only if it's steel. Not cheap either, certainly easier to order with the bike. More for ease of aircraft travel, etc. as far as I know- the bike will still be big and I believe the reassembly is a little more involved than a typical folder. Assembled it is exactly like a traditional bike in every way though. Folders make other changes (wheel size being the most obvious) to improve compactness.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭nakano3153

I've got a few brand-new Dahon models for sale: 2007 Cadenza, Glide and Smooth Hound. I've just shot another series of videos (indoor only) for the company and it's not really worthwhile shipping them all the way back to Taiwan. You can find info at www.dahon.com. I only have a price for the Smooth Hound so far (500 euro inc. VAT), that's about half of retail in Europe. I guess the price for the Glide and the Cadenza will be at a similar discount.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested in the Smooth Hound- sent you a PM regarding it.

I finally finished my video work for Dahon and I'm ready to sell these bikes:

Smooth Hound 450 euro
    Cadenza 420 euro
    Glide 400 euro

They're all 2007 models but still current and obviously in perfect condition (out of the box only for indoor shooting). You can check the spec at dahon.com.
    Anyone who contacted me before gets first dibs at these, my apologies for the wait. You can call me at (01) 4930 179.

You can see the actual bikes in these little demo videos at:
    http://www.vimeo.com/user377148/videos

Update: Just remembered I have other Dahon stuff to get rid of: Carry bags and a case. El Bolso Bag, Sling Sack, and the big AirPorter wheeled suitcase. I'll throw in the appropriate bag with the bikes, but I need something for the AirPorter- it normally retails for 169 sterling, I'd take 80 euro ONO.

The Airporter case is now sold.

I have an ad for the bikes on adverts.ie, I'd prefer to deal with buyers over there rather than be accused of going 'off the board'. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I got the Smooth Hound off Tom and rode it for first time tonight. What a sweet bike it is.

It's a nice bike all right, I was out with Tom and test-rode it myself. Quite a bargain, enjoy!

Penexpers - I shot a video on how to break down the smooth hound frame, etc., for transport, but Dahon changed the case and now it will never see the light of day. If you like I can post it to vimeo for you.
    -Tom

• Advertisement

bit of an aside, but why are they making dahon videos in dublin when they dont really see them here for sale? Is there an official Dahon dealer int he country?

is this your work again on the mini bike
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOo18LU6nfo

Advertisement