Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryptosporidium question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

To my knowledge Uv does not kill off the oocyst, i worked in westeath whenever the crypto outbreak emerged there. The only way to efectively remove crypto from the water supply is through micro filtration, the oocyst are about 5microns across so anything below that would be sufficent.

A number of ways were looked at to treat the water and i can remember uv being discounted because of the quantity of water being treated.

Also something which wasnt mentioned at the start of the outbreak was that just boiling a kettle wont kill it , it needs to be "vigourously" boiled for about 3mins to kill it.

tis a hardy bugger
    You're right - UV doesn't kill the oocyst. What it does is render it unable to reproduce which means it will pass through the gut of an animal/human without causing harm.
    Micro filtration is effective but the clever little buggers will probably get smaller.
    The water does not need to be "vigorously boiled". In fact anything above 70 degrees centigrade will kill it but as a safety precaution health boards recommend boiling water to guarantee that the required temperature has been achieved.
    There is a lot of mis-information out there which has been perpetuated by lack of adequate information campaigns when these crises occur. (Take note Galway city and county councils in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SyxPak wrote: »
    Janeybabe26 and galwaybabe, get yerselves an avatar (UserCP -> Avatars) and/or a signature.
    Your nicks are too similar and it hurts meh braines

Tee hee that's funny!! Janey is nothing like Galway!! One is a girl's name, the other is a county!! Babe is the same I suppose but here's the clincher: Mine has a number in it!! But if it's hurting you I might consider it! :)

Advertisement