Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying clothes professionally

• 17-10-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I would like to dye a dark pink dress that I have black. As it was quite expensive I don't really want to do it myself.

Would anyone know where I would take it to? Clothes alterations place, dry cleaners, dressmaker? Would be looking for somewhere in Dublin.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ShaggyDog

I was actually wondering the same. I've just bought a new apartment with windows 6 meters high!!! I don't like the curtains but can't afford to change them.....was thinking of dying them, but couldn't undertake the task myself! Would be great to hear of somewhere in Dublin that could offer the service....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Beonce

Try somewhere like Hickeys...no sure if they'll actually do it but I've found them to be very helpful with suggestions on things like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Was only wondering about this yesterday myself. Have a jacket for years that was quite expensive and I hardly ever wear it, was thinking might wear it more if I got it dyed black. Would be too worried about the washing machine to do it myself as I live in a shared house. I'm going to call into a few alterations places in Dublin City Centre to ask so I will report back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have dyed a fair few fabrics and garments before. 1st to check is: is it a natural fabric, check the label.

If it's a cotton viscose mix, the dye will only adhere to the cotton so if it was originally white and you dyed it red, you'd get a pale inconsistent pink.

The colour on the pack is the result for dyeing a white cotton tee, anything else and you get a lighter colour.

The next thing to consider is, what are the trims made of. I once dyed a 100% linen dress that was perfect except for the zip that ran down the back that was still white and had to be replaced with a blue one.

If the fabric is 100% polyester etc, the dye won't take.

Advertisement