Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I've got brake probs!

Options
  • 17-10-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well it started out with the handbrake light coming on and staying on. Then I noticed the brake pedal itself become very loose and I had to almost push it all the way to the floor before the car would slow down.

I brought it to garage and the guy popped the bonnet and laughed at me because the brake fluid was down the the minimum. Now I had the car serviced a couple months prior to this so it was either a leak somewhere or it wasn't checked while being serviced.

So we filled it up again with brake fluid and the car was fine.....for a couple weeks! Then I noticed the light was on again. So I popped the bonnet and found that the fluid was down to the minimum again.

I brought it back to the guy at the garage, left it with him for a couple hours. He said one brake cylinder was gone and one was on way out. Could this be the case?

The reason I am doubtful is that this guy has been fogging me off for 3 months over a part I am waiting on and could be a bit of a cowboy.

The car is a 99D MX5 Jap import.

Any ideas and advice would be great! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

yes it easily could be the problem .Happens on many a car. if ya dont trust the guy its always best to get a second opinion,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

For starters, you really need to check your fluid levels weekly. If ever a red light should come on, investigate the cause immediately. Your mechanic's diagnosis sounds reasonable to me. I'm assuming I don't have to tell you not to drive the car in the meantime...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Well you guys are my 2nd opinion in a way! I am waiting to hear from a guy who knows a bit about mazdas aswell. I might get him to see to it. I have driven it a couple times but I haven't touched it in the last few days!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

To be honest, I'd be more upset by his first diagnosis than his second. The braking system is sealed and brake fluid does not tend to be consumed. Sending you back out after just topping up the fluid, without checking for leaks, was a little bit reckless. As you said it went down again, what if it had gone down faster and further than previously? You could have been left with no brakes while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

alias no.9 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd be more upset by his first diagnosis than his second. The braking system is sealed and brake fluid does not tend to be consumed. Sending you back out after just topping up the fluid, without checking for leaks, was a little bit reckless. As you said it went down again, what if it had gone down faster and further than previously? You could have been left with no brakes while driving.

Agreed. I would love to know where the fluid is going to. Check for leaks in the caliper piston area, that the 4 bleed screws are tight on each wheel, and check the lines for fluid staining. Metal brake lines can corrode and rubber hosing near suspension parts can perish, seeing as the car is 8 years old. I bet a pressure test would reveal a leak. Possible stains in the driveway may help locate a potential leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

Hi Guys,
    one of my mates drove his mx-5 with the fluid level light on, he thought it was a pad wear warning light, until the brakes failed! It turned out that a seal had gone on the rear offside caliper and it was loosing fluid. The caliper couldn't be dismantled cos of a siezed handbrake adjuster so a 2nd hand caliper and a seal set got him back on the road. Could have been nasty though, he drives hard!
    Keep well,
    Torq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

for crying out loud. you are looking at imminent brake failure. the leaking fluid will at this stage have contaminated any friction material it has come in contact with. get it to a garage a.s.a.p

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Agreed. I would love to know where the fluid is going to. Check for leaks in the caliper piston area, that the 4 bleed screws are tight on each wheel, and check the lines for fluid staining. Metal brake lines can corrode and rubber hosing near suspension parts can perish, seeing as the car is 8 years old. I bet a pressure test would reveal a leak. Possible stains in the driveway may help locate a potential leak.

Thanks for your advice. I will have to get somebody like yourself to look at it. I really know nothing about cars. You might aswell be speaking Greek to me! :o

Torq wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    one of my mates drove his mx-5 with the fluid level light on, he thought it was a pad wear warning light, until the brakes failed! It turned out that a seal had gone on the rear offside caliper and it was loosing fluid. The caliper couldn't be dismantled cos of a siezed handbrake adjuster so a 2nd hand caliper and a seal set got him back on the road. Could have been nasty though, he drives hard!
    Keep well,
    Torq

I am going to have somebody look at it, I will suggest this to them.

Does anybody know how much it would cost to get the brake cylinders replaced/fixed on the mx5? Apparently both will have to be done at same time as they are all part of the one unit or something! :confused:

I haven't noticed any fluid on my drive way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

py2006 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice. I will have to get somebody like yourself to look at it. I really know nothing about cars. You might aswell be speaking Greek to me! :o
    All you really need to remember is:

-Check all fluids weekly
    and

-red light on dash means stop the car immediately.

Anan1 wrote: »
    All you really need to remember is:

-Check all fluids weekly
    and

-red light on dash means stop the car immediately.

I'm slowly learning! The car is in the driveway and isn't moving! Unless of course to drive to to garage!

Advertisement