Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who deserves to win drivers championship ?

• 17-10-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Who do you think deserves to win this years drivers championship, based on this years performance only

Who derserves to win this years drivers championship 27 votes

Kimi
    0%
    Alonso
    92%
    DcullysteviecZaphpatto_chanLIGHTNINGamacachimikemacjamiehEdwardiusGary ITRManic MoranIT LoserFrank Bullitt[Deleted User]BlowfishpburnsAfueraeyeball kidDermoMIOicom 25 votes
    Lewis
    7%
    stakeyEndurance Man 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I think Lewis deserves it, there's a lot of anti-Lewis sentiment being driven up by anyone who's not British, and it's quite unfair.. the kids done a fantastic and extremely solid job race in race out.. and easily deserves it. While I'd like to see Kimi take it at the final race for a dramatic ending (and because I've money riding on him since the start of the season), I don't think he's been as commited as he could have been at certain times throughout the year, that said he hasn't had the luck go his way either. Alonso, has, in the past two months again most likely as a result of bad press, greatly diminshed in my view.. both as a driver and as a person... I doubt you'll see any votes for him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Alonso
    Gotta be Kimi. Through all the controversy around the McLaren team this year, Kimi's just had his head down at Ferrari and done the job. Not an amazing job mind you, and if not for some bad luck I think Massa could easily have been ahead of him, but they're the breaks. I think if Kimi won the championship, it would be a hugely popular result.

On the other hand, Alonso is lucky to even be driving. I don't understand why McLaren haven't just sacked him by now. He's now a proven cheat, and he used that to blackmail his own team. I already had my doubts about his character after various dubious acts over the previous seasons, but he's just cemented his status now as the most unlikeable driver on the grid.

Then there's Lewis. He's still a bit of an enigma to be honest. I think he's a fantastic talent, and he's quite likeable in interviews. But there are certain aspects of his success that make you think someone in high places wants him to succeed. The way the FIA craned him back on track, the penalty Kubica got for daring to try to overtake him, and of course the immunity the McLaren drivers were given when they should have been thrown out of the championship with the rest of the team. It's obvious Lewis is worth money and there's outside factors driving some of his success. But I don't think that reflects on the driver himself too badly, he's just making the most of what he's given. I wouldn't begrudge him the title if he won, but it would probably be seen as a tainted championship in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good question. i'd like to see Hamilton win it I think... I know it's going to be horrible listening to the British media, but I would love to see a driver come in and take the title in his first year. I think whatever happens Hamilton has done amazing and would be happy if he's rewarded with the title. On performances this year, I think it's been very close, I think Alonso on average, probably was the faster driver, but overdrove on a few occasions and suffered for it and also was off the pace for the first few races.

Kimi I think has done well to be in with a chance of the title, I think he has gained with the competition between Hamilton and Alonso. If Kimi wins I feel it will be because Mclaren have screwed up.

So I think Hamilton has shown the most maturity (in his driving) and has been consistent through out the season. But which ever driver ends up winning it i think they'll be deserving of it, I've no real complaint about how off track happenings have influenced the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Catcher86

Alonso
    steviec wrote: »
    Then there's Lewis. He's still a bit of an enigma to be honest. I think he's a fantastic talent, and he's quite likeable in interviews.

I initally was a big fan of Hamilton's and thought his story would be great for the sport. However I've found him quite the opposite in interviews. First of all he does'nt sound like a 22 year old man when he conducts his post race interviews.
    Second of all he trys to say things without really saying them. If I had the transcripts I could reference what I mean.
    Maybe its naivety or maybe its mind games. But I think he has started believing everything that is said about him in the british media.

I would have to agree with everything else that you said. I almost voted for Alonso as I think he could have won the title if he had stayed cool and had not acted like a spoilt brat.
    Having said that, I think what happened to him at Hungary was unfair and has cost him the championship. It was a tit for tat situation started by Hamilton and only he was penalised. The fact that Hamilton's behaviour had sparked the situation was'nt even taken into consideration when the punishments were being handed out.
    Also its hard to say if Alonso did do what he was accused of. He only barely got out in time himself and that would have been very hard for him to time. I believe that he was told to wait.

Finally I voted for Kimi because no matter what happens on sunday no driver will have won more races than him this year, and that for me is what counts. Reminiscent of 05 when he won 7 races and still lost the championship.
    He is qouted as saying that he is motivated by his own ambitions and not the championship. He might want to start to find a little more consistency or he might have some big regrets when his time is done.
    Though I do believe that he will do it next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Alonso
    In order, Kimi, then Lewis. Lewis seems to have had the least amount of bad luck in the year, even when bad luck did strike such as his tyre blowout, they weren't race-killers, as happened to Alonso and Kimi. (China wasn't bad luck, that was a screw-up). There is no doubt that he is a good driver, and even if, somehow, he doesn't win this year, he will win in the future. But as posted above, poor old Kimi's just put his head down and done the best he can with the car he's been given. He's not made many major mistakes.

Lewis needs to work a bit on his... style, but that's not so much an issue of capability.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I voted Lewis. I wanted to vote Kimi. I have been a mclaren fan since the Mika Hakkinen days, but i feel sorry for Kimi this year.

Alonso
    On reflection this morning I kind of changed my mind. Reflecting on the season and on having read things about lewis's life and his progression and struggles I kind of wanted him to win it today.
    Having seen what has just happened, I feel really bad for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Alonso
    Well I stand by my vote for Kimi and couldn't be happier right now :)

I'm kind of a neutral but an uncontroversial Kimi victory on track is really what the sport needed to cap off the season. He deserved it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

And I stand by my McLaren screwing up comment ;)

Well done to Kimi, he's been close to the title before and its good to see him finally win it.

I hope next year its as competitive

Alonso
    Big fan of kimi, so I am happy for him.

Mossley saying that he is going to go through the '08 McClaren with a fine tooth comb, to find any incorporation of intellectual property and ideas in order to solve technical problems. If anything is found McClaren could be deducted points or not allowed to compete in '08.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I wanted to see lewis win , well for the same reasons everyone wanted to see him win.

But the best driver won the championship. Kimi is the best driver on the grid. He kept his mouth shut all year and did his talking on the track.

well done kimi. Really happy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Alonso
    Who won the most grand prix this season ? Raikkonen had 6 wins, Hamilton had 4 wins, Alonso had 4 wins and Massa won the other 3 grand prix. So Raikkonen is a worthy champion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Alonso
    Kimi has been the class act of the field since midway through the season,hes had more reliability issues than anyone of the main contendors for yet another season.
    He has been so close for a few years now ,he more than deserves it,anyone who think hamilton deserves are caught up in the hype.
    The real facts are Kimi won more races and would of won more only for reliability.

Advertisement