Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcticle 7, acts.. etc.

Options
  • 17-10-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Howdy, anyone give a link to where I can find the specific reference to the article 7 in the various acts also if there is a downloadable form.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

from COUNCIL DIRECTIVE of 18 June 1991 on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons (91/477/EEC)

Article 7
    1. No one may acquire a firearm classified in category B within the territory of a Member State unless that Member State has so authorized him.
    No such authorization may be given to a resident of another Member State without the latter's prior agreement.
    2. No one may be in possession of a firearm classified in category B within the territory of a Member State unless that Member State has so authorized him. If he is a resident of another Member State, that other Member State shall be informed accordingly.
    3. An authorization to acquire and an authorization to possess a firearm classified in category B may take the form of a single administrative decision.

From S.I. No. 362/1993: EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES (ACQUISITION AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION) REGULATIONS, 1993.
    9. (1) The European Firearms Pass shall be set out in the form in the Schedule to these Regulations.

(2) ( a ) Where a person is granted, or is the holder of, a firearm certificate under the Firearms Acts, he shall be entitled to be issued by the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána for the district in which he resides with—

(i) a European Firearms Pass containing the required particulars; and
    (ii) a document stating that the holder of the firearm certificate has the consent of the competent authority of the State, for so long as the certificate remains in force, to any purchase or acquisition by him in another Member State of any firearm or ammunition to which the certificate relates; and an application for the issue of a document falling within clause (i) or (ii) may be made at the same time as an application for a firearm certificate or at any time subsequently while the certificate remains in force.

The important bit above is that if you've got a licence the Super has to issue you an article 7 under 9 (2) (a) (ii). There's no arguement there. It's straight forward.

11. (1) Where—

( a ) a certificate relating to a firearm identified in a European Firearms Pass or a document referred to in Regulation 9 (2) (a) (ii) (an "Article 7 Authority") has been issued is varied, revoked or cancelled; or
    ( b ) the Minister gives notice that any information contained in paragraph 6 (1) or 6 (2) of the European Firearms Pass needs to be modified by addition, deletion or variation; or
    ( c ) the holder of a European Firearms Pass applies to have particulars of another firearm added to the pass,
    it shall be the duty of the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána for the district in which the holder of the pass or authority resides to make such variations of the pass or authority as are appropriate in consequence of the variation, revocation, cancellation, notice or application or, where appropriate, to cancel it.

(2) For the purpose of performing his duty under paragraph (1) the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána for the district in which any person who is or has been the holder of any certificate resides may, by notice in writing, require that person, within twenty-one days of the date of the notice, to produce or surrender to him any European Firearms Pass or Article 7 Authority issued to that person.

(3) Where a person is for the time being the holder of an Article 7 Authority issued by the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána for any district, the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána for that district may, if he thinks fit, at any time—

( a ) revoke that authority; and
    ( b ) by notice in writing require that person, within twenty-one days of the date of the notice, to surrender that authority to him.
    (4) Where a firearm identified in a European Firearms Pass which is for the time being valid, is lost or stolen, the holder of the pass shall immediately—

( a ) inform the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána for the district in which he resides of the loss or theft and
    ( b ) produce the pass to that Superintendent for him to endorse particulars of that loss or theft on the pass.
    (5) Where a firearm to which an endorsement under paragraph (4) relates is returned to the possession of the holder of the pass in question, the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána for the district in which that person resides may, on the production to him of that pass, make such endorsement on that pass as may be appropriate.

(6) It is an offence for any person to fail to comply with a notice given to him under paragraph (2) or (3) or with any obligation imposed on him by virtue of paragraph (4) (a) or (b).[

If you need any more info please phone me. There's probably more references in law but for the purpose of obtaining them I think the above is sufficient law to quote to the boys & girls in blue.

Also it's my understanding that this form is not available for civilians to fill in. It's filled in by the Gardai in duplicate I think & then handed to you completed.

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

By the way, the search function is now back since the server upgrade:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=32297

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

LB6 wrote: »

That's an edited copy of my one. But as I stated you can't get them to download & fill in yourself.

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

LB6 wrote: »

Thanks LB6 and thanks Pat am having some education issues with my new local:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

A few years ago the local gardai told me that they had no artical 7s left, but they would accept a photocopy.

I photocopied a used one, applied tipex to everywhere that was filled in and photocopied it again. I filled it out myself and the gardai signed and stamped it! Guess what?? It worked just fine!!:D

Advertisement