Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Cough

Options
  • 17-10-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

My poor little doggy has kennel cough, I got antibiotics off the vet this morning but I'm listening to him hacking and coughing and I just feel so sorry for him! Anybody ever have to deal with kennel cough before and maybe does anyone have any tips on how to make him a bit more comfortable and feel a bit less miserable while he's going through it as the vet told me it could last a while.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

I rehomed a dog out of the pound a few weeks ago who had kennel cough, got him antibiotics and an injection and he was all sorted in a week. If your feeding your dog dry nuts mix it with some gravy or wet canned food to make it easier for him to eat, there throat can get soar from the coughing.
    Hope he gets better soon.
    Vinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

if you give the dog a spoon full of honey it will help him with the coughing.... it's not a problem solver but it helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

yeah a few months back my puppy had a bad cough (although not kennel cough). the vet told us to stick our finger in a jar of honey and then let her lick it off - or to put honey on a chew toy and let her lick it off. It doesn't stop the cough but it makes it less painful.

He also told us to give her cough syrup for babies (but i would check with your own vet before giving your dog any human medicine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

rubyred wrote: »
    the vet told us to stick our finger in a jar of honey and then let her lick it off - or to put honey on a chew toy and let her lick it off. It doesn't stop the cough but it makes it less painful.

Yeah that's the sort of advice I was looking for, he's got antibiotics but the cough just sounds so painful, I wanted to find out if there's anything that'd make him feel a bit better, I'll try the honey, thanks! Poor little guy, he caught it off my parents dog who's just been in kennels, didn't know that even though she'd been vaccinated she could still be a carrier for kennel cough and infect other dogs anyway, would've thought the vet would mention that considering he knows that the dog who was in kennels lives with another dog and could therefore just as easily have infected her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TOUCHSTONEBGLS

A couple other hints to help with Kennel Caugh: Soaking the food will help it go down a bit easier and will be less irritating to the throat. Avoiding dusty areas will help. If the yard is dusty wetting it will decrease the dust! Honey also helps. It should run its course in about a week. A lucky pet to have such a caring owner.

• Advertisement

Learned something new about the dog last night ....he doesn't like honey! Although I've no doubt I'd have better luck getting him to take some if I left the jar open on the edge of the kitchen table.
    Our garden is made of pebble stones so yeah I guess it could be dusty, so I'll give that a hose down, suppose I should really clean out his kennel too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Benilyn for kids. Our vet recommended it when our two got a cough that was going around.

According to my mum, her dog (the one that went into the kennel but was vaccined so didn't get it but still managed to pass it on to my dog!) is starting to cough now so she's going to talk to the vet tonight, I'll get her to ask about the cough syrup while she's on to him, slightly reluctant to give him something like that until the vet gives the ok. Thanks for all the advice people, you've been real helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Try mixing the honey in with some natural yogurt! The cooling effect of the yogurt would help as well!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

If the dog seems to be in any sort of distress, try and ensure that his/her airway is as open as it can be, i.e. prop her up with cushions or some thing if he/she is gasping for air. Put cushions or blankets on either side of her and have her chest on the floor and feet out in front. It sometimes can help and they feel supported as well from being surrounded. Best of luck, the antibiotic should kick in fairly quickly and she should be feeling better soon enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement