Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sodium

• 17-10-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

I'm fairly food saavy but the one thing I know nothing about is salt/sodium in food.

Is 1.07g of sodium per 400g good or bad? I hope its ok cos I found these new packets of soup - the new ones by campbells- and they are great for lunches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭depadz

you have to multiply the sodium content by about 2.5 to get the salt content.

the rda is around 6g, so your can of soup (if you eat the whole lot) is half the RDA. Throw in a slice or two of bread and it will add another bit.

So its not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most soups have a lot of salt in them. You could always make your own, or else drink adequate amounts of water during the day to neutralise/balance out the excess salt if you insist on eating the salt. The extra water will be good for you and stave off hunger if you are trying to reduce calories. Soup is also a great way to get full on less calories, it is essentially watered down food and your body thinks it is full quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

thanks for your replies. Why is everything out of a can or packet bad for you, even fecking soup.

Yes, I used to be great at making my own so I must get back into doing that.

I eat very little of processed food so a can of soup every now and then won't kill me I suppose but it's better not to be lazy and make it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why is everything out of a can or packet bad for you, even fecking soup.
    Because it is made to have an extended shelf life, so they must load it with preservatives e.g. salt. Also they want it to taste nice to cover the bland taste of the over processed ingredients- so again stuff like salt is added. Tinned food is heat treated to sterilize it so it lasts indefinitely in the can, this will destroy some nutrients and flavours.

Fat & sugar are also easy cheap additives to make things "taste nice", your body has a primal need for energy, it will recognise caloire dense foods as a source of energy, so your brain will register calorie dense foods as "nice".

Make yourself some batches of soup and freeze it in jam jars- leave enough room for ice expansion!

You can also do your own "canning", if you make meals like soup or spag bol etc you can pressure cook the food in a jar with a loose lid. This sterilizes it and it will last as long as other jars/tins of food if done properly. Canning is really big in the US.

• Advertisement
Advertisement