Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropping out

Options
  • 17-10-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

who is the best person to talk to?

just got another test result this morning for something i thought i would have improved on, and i have done worse than the first test.

i am a mature student, did as much research on the course as i could in the last 10 months. i was told it wasn't easy, but it doesn't interest me at all.

my parents will go ape****. the other thing is, i got a very good recommendation from a friend's father who used to be a professor in UL, what do I tell him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Talk to the head of your course and your student advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

As Kai said they're probably the bast people to talk to.

They'll be able to tell you exactly what future modules in your course will contain. If you think that they may interest you and you'll like the course then you can decide to stay or not. Your QCA is reset after 1st year anyway so you only need to pass everything.

We did plenty of modules that I didn't have much interest in but the course as a whole was good.

But if you feel that the course really isn't for you there's no point staying and wasting your time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

in my experience first year is not a good time to judge a course on

for example right now in my course im doing tech maths which i hate and programming which is hard. also doing perceptual systems(biology crap) which i hate but in second year it becomes alot more interesting and relevant to what i actually want to do and there is no programming after the first semester and no maths after first year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

You really should give it more time if you are in first year. Courses dont become interesting until they have the groundwork covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I thought about it last year, but decided to stick it out. The way I saw it in the end is that if you haven't dropped out in the first semester of first year you screw yourself on fees for the future.

Then again. You've already said that you're a mature student and it's a further year that you'd be missing out on(if that bothers you).

What finally swung the balance in staying with the course is that you'll always have A degree, but you don't have to work in the field of your degree. Having already gone through the process of thinking it out...have a chat with your advisor and then get an idea of what help you can get to bring up your grades.

You obviously picked the course becasue the research you did left you with an interest. I cannot for the life of me think what statistical analysis or sociology have to do with my degree, but because the end product is what I want...I stuck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 smilyhat

PeakOutput wrote: »
    right now in my course im doing tech maths which i hate and programming which is hard. also doing perceptual systems(biology crap) which i hate but in second year it becomes alot more interesting and relevant to what i actually want to do and there is no programming after the first semester and no maths after first year

MMPT!!!ME TOO!!!

smilyhat wrote: »
    MMPT!!!ME TOO!!!

well im in dmd but who r u??? giv me a code so ill know u when i c u :p

well im in dmd but who r u??? giv me a code so ill know u when i c u :p

hmm... i never trusted a dmd head.... but theres a first time for everything!!
    so lets say i hypathetically give you "a code", am i supposed to walk up to EVERY dmd person and hope its you.................:p ;)

i wont be hard to find ill more than likely be beside the loud guy from clonmel

are you first or second year?

loud guy from clonmel.. i think i know who you might be talking about... first year, yes i am a newbie!!! u newbie??

• Advertisement

loud guy from clonmel.. i think i know who you might be talking about... first year, yes i am a newbie!!! u newbie??

if ur a first year you defo know who im talking ye im first year too altho iv been out of school for 3 years so not a complete newbie

hmmmmmmm... we defo need a code!!!
    hey did you do that programming test on thursday??:D:D

hmmmmmmm... we defo need a code!!!
    hey did you do that programming test on thursday??:D:D

code = im the tall bald guy there is only one of us who is not an ole fella so i shudnt be too hard to spot

and ye i did the test got it compiled and all but it didnt work perfectly

edit; sorry mods for crazy ot

code = im the tall bald guy there is only one of us who is not an ole fella so i shudnt be too hard to spot

and ye i did the test got it compiled and all but it didnt work perfectl

code= . . . well my hair was brown on friday, now its blonde if that helps...

you got it to compile.. i cant remember the last time i got something to compile.. oh well, bring on semester 2!!!!!

did you go out thursday night??

pm'd you as they will get pissed at the constant bumping of this thread eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

pm'd you as they will get pissed at the constant bumping of this thread eventually
    Just there before me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

hmm...MMPT???

I'm one of the mmpt reps!!!

Small world...eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭donster79

in my experience first year is not a good time to judge a course on

for example right now in my course im doing tech maths which i hate and programming which is hard. also doing perceptual systems(biology crap) which i hate but in second year it becomes alot more interesting and relevant to what i actually want to do and there is no programming after the first semester and no maths after first year

Just out of interest what kind of stuff is covered in tech maths....would it be diffrentiation,integration??

donster79 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what kind of stuff is covered in tech maths....would it be diffrentiation,integration??

functions, trigonometry, differentiation, complex numbers vectors, linear equations and experimental laws..... sooooo much fun as you can tell :D :P :D :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

tech maths one is by far te easiest of the maths modules with tech mahs 4 i think been impossible.. or mayb it was 3 i forget..

• Advertisement

ye its easy as long as you did honors maths for leaving, did the leaving last year and not 4 years ago and study

i do not fit into any of the categories above and i still find it ok but i just genuinely hate maths so thats why i dislike it not because i find it hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

functions, trigonometry, differentiation, complex numbers vectors, linear equations and experimental laws..... sooooo much fun as you can tell :D :P :D :L

that doesnt sound tooo bad:p...... im going to eat my words next year arent i.:L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

that doesnt sound tooo bad:p...... im going to eat my words next year arent i.:L

Yes yes you are.

that doesnt sound tooo bad:p

thats what i said

i was wrong.. .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,929 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

MMPT!!!ME TOO!!!

Ugh I should be there...
    Is there many doing that course? didn't get the points for it last year...

mars bar wrote: »
    Ugh I should be there...
    Is there many doing that course? didn't get the points for it last year...

bout 60.. what you up ta now so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

OP I would recommend you talk to someone in UL about your situation they've have good facilities there to help students especially in your situation.
    From a personal point of view I considered dropping out of UL before I had even my first set of exams taken as I found it very difficult to adapt to college life especially in UL as it is so vast. After a discussion with my parents they asked me to at least complete the first year which I did and passed the exams to my amazement.
    Fast forward a few years I now have an honours degree in my back pocket and a very well paid job thanks to some good advice from family and friends. I can definitively say I never settled in UL and never liked the place however as the years went on I found the course easier as strange as it may seem.

I will reiterate what I said earlier and talk to someone about your situation. You worked hard to achieve a place in university, it would be a shame to throw it all away. Best of luck.

Advertisement