Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karl Hungus (moderator) in Music forum

Options
  • 17-10-2007 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Karl Hungus - the moderator on the rock and metal forum - has been causing me problems recently; does anyone else have a similar experience?
    He kept going into threads and complaining that the subject matter was not something that interested him. I thought this was completely unreasonable (if he doesn't like a thread surely he can go look at one of the others seeing as there are dozens of them)- and i told him what i thought of him. Now i'm banned, just because i told him he was behaving stupidly. Please let me know if you have any less than pleasurable experiences with him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No one can reply to threads in this forum but S-mods and Administrators. I can check into the threads when I get a chance and get back to you if someone else doesn't get there before me.
    It has come to our attention that you have been rather abusive via PM, which is not really acceptable here for someone who takes takes time out of their day to help out in the community. Do you think it is acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Ruu wrote: »
    No one can reply to threads in this forum but S-mods and Administrators. I can check into the threads when I get a chance and get back to you if someone else doesn't get there before me.
    It has come to our attention that you have been rather abusive via PM, which is not really acceptable here for someone who takes takes time out of their day to help out in the community. Do you think it is acceptable?

I think I reponded in kind to the PMs and posts that were directed at me. Why don't you ask Karl Hungus why he was going on to other peoples threads (discussions that were being enjoyed by others including myself) and giving out about the topic and calling them stupid, just because they didn't interest him? He may be more diplomatic in the way he insults people- but that is what he's doing, insulting people. Someone had to go and tell him what alot of people were thinking (but were afraid of doing so). I think honesty is acceptable.

But I don't want to sound like I'm blaming you, I'm just explaining my actions - Thanks for checking into the threads for me, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The first thing you can do is provide links to your claims.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

So, you start a thread,
    People comment, Karl calmly gives his opinion, it differs from yours,
    you get hot under the collor and tell the Mod of that forum to "Well then f**k off- nobody asked you."
    He bans you.
    You send him abusive PM's.

There isn't an Admin, Smod or Mod who would have done anything differently than Karl in this instance.

I think I reponded in kind to the PMs and posts that were directed at me.
    You think wrong.
    Karl criticised the topic rationally. You just told him to **** off. He's perfectly entitled to say, "What a stupid topic".

And as said, when he PMs you to tell you you're banned, you just continue to tell him to **** off and then try to resort to playground, "Everybody hates you anyway" tactics.

So, eh, suck it up.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    You think wrong.
    Karl criticised the topic rationally. You just told him to **** off. He's perfectly entitled to say, "What a stupid topic".

And as said, when he PMs you to tell you you're banned, you just continue to tell him to **** off and then try to resort to playground, "Everybody hates you anyway" tactics.

So, eh, suck it up.

Rationally? This is what he said;

It's a freaking dumb thread.

Yeah, calm as a cucumber- Using the word 'freaking' instead of f**king, yeah, real smooth.

He's into heavy metal, fair enough so am I, but then decides to go into a thread about 'The Beatles v. Elvis' and posts this:

This thread sucks.

Why would anyone do that? I thought the moderators were supposed to encourage discussion.

I didn't say 'everybody hates you'- I said 'alot of people are taking the p1ss out of you', and they were, it was a statement of fact (although admittedly it favoured my sentiments more than his).

Has he gone into threads since complaining about the topic of discussion? No he hasn't, wanna know why? Cos he realises he was acting like a prik.

So suck that up, or are you to busy sucking up to Mungus?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    So, you start a thread,
    People comment, Karl calmly gives his opinion, it differs from yours,
    you get hot under the collor and tell the Mod of that forum to "Well then f**k off- nobody asked you."
    He bans you.
    You send him abusive PM's.

There isn't an Admin, Smod or Mod who would have done anything differently than Karl in this instance.

How often to Admins, Smods or mods go into a discussion saying ''This thread is crap, why aren't people talking about what I want to talk about".

I had every right to tell him to f**k-off, he deserved it.

I gave him every opportunity to apologise for his actions.

If you were sitting in the pub with some friends talking about football (lets say), and someone comes along sits down at the table and launches into a tirade about how he doesn't like talking about football - what do you think would be said to the person. I think you might find a good firm f**k off will feature prominently in the reply.

How often to Admins, Smods or mods go into a discussion saying ''This thread is crap

I've seen it happen more than once, they've always been right.
    I had every right to tell him to f**k-off, he deserved it.

Well see, that's where you're wrong.
    You do not have the right to tell anyone to fuk off on this site.
    If anyone thought it was ok to say that to me, they would swiftly find out how wrong they were.
    Personal abuse is not tolerated on this site.

Liar. simple as that.

Well see, that's where you're wrong.
    You do not have the right to tell anyone to fuk off on this site.
    If anyone thought it was ok to say that to me, they would swiftly find out how wrong they were.
    Personal abuse is not tolerated on this site.

If you give someone hassle you can only expect hassle in return - tough tiddies, thats life, if you don't like it you can go home and give yourself some 'personal abuse' - or maybe Karl will do it for you.

If you give someone hassle you can only expect hassle in return - tough tiddies, thats life, if you don't like it you can go home and give yourself some 'personal abuse' - or maybe Karl will do it for you.

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by the above?

• Advertisement

Look, I set up this thread to hear about other peoples bad experiences of a moderator (i.e. Karl Hungus). I did this because I recieved comments to the effect that there were people who had bad experiences with him, but, who didn't want to say anything because of his position as a moderator.

Then I was told that the only people who can post on this thread are mods etc. themselves. Since then I've had nothing but you and others sticking up for someone who has been behaving irrationally and unreasonable; I'm not the only person of this opinion.

All I did was stand up to him - if you want to make this a better site why don't you stop wasting your time standing up for people who should be standing up for themselves (Karl is a big boy now y'know) and try make it easier for people to feel as though they can come to this site and discuss whatever they want without fear of criticism or intimidation?

Have you ever done it?

Once again, could you please clarify what exactly you mean by the above comment?

You answer my question and I'll answer yours.

Look, I set up this thread to hear about other peoples bad experiences of a moderator (i.e. Karl Hungus). I did this because I recieved comments to the effect that there were people who had bad experiences with him, but, who didn't want to say anything because of his position as a moderator.
    Well that's a pity, because nobody else can reply here. And if they didn't want to reveal themselves, what makes you think that they're going to reply to a thread you started? Go ahead and start a thread on feedback where others can respond. If you like cats, you'll enjoy that. Or go on ahead and give their names here. Despite what you'd like to believe, we're not the gestapo, I don't care who does or doesn't like Karl. I ask you to post the names because I'm fairly sure nobody has contacted you.
    Then I was told that the only people who can post on this thread are mods etc. themselves. Since then I've had nothing but you and others sticking up for someone who has been behaving irrationally and unreasonable; I'm not the only person of this opinion.
    No, since then you've had people make a call on your behaviour and Karl's behaviour. You accused him of giving you abuse and claim you responded in kind. This is clearly not what happened. He criticised the thread content and you abused him. Continually.
    All I did was stand up to him - if you want to make this a better site why don't you stop wasting your time standing up for people who should be standing up for themselves (Karl is a big boy now y'know) and try make it easier for people to feel as though they can come to this site and discuss whatever they want without fear of criticism or intimidation?
    Karl did stand up for himself. He banned you. He's the moderator, you broke the rules, you got banned. People do seem to feel that they can come here and discuss what they want. In fact more than 100,000 people seem to feel that. They do get criticised, because that's the nature of the world. If they feel intimidated, that's their problem. Nobody is here trying to intimidate anyone.

You answer my question and I'll answer yours.

You're on my last nerve, stop acting like a child and answer the question. You've got 10 minutes to do so.

You're on my nerves too; you can take whatever meaning you like from it, i don't care.

Au revoir then.

Advertisement