Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby no like hi bottle no more!

Options
  • 17-10-2007 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

Quick question hav a 5mth old and he refuses to take his bottle during the day, he just wants food. Now at night he will take a bottle. But is this ok? Is there anything I can do ? Should I change his bottle - he takes SMA White - cos hes a horse but he is skinny like his daddy! Lucky thing!

Any advise grately appreciated,

Mercy buckets!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

First off check with your baby nurse.
    You still need to be giving him drinks, have you tried a baby cup instead of a bottle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, I'd say try the cup with a top on it though. A 5 month old's not gonna be able to hold it properly on his own. Alternatively, try foods high in water (e.g. watermelon) or watered down juice instead of milk during the daytime. Something like that.

You can also add water to things like mashed banana and so on....Our little girl doesn't like milk unless it's warm. I was out one day and unable to warm up the water so just added some to the banana to stop her getting dehydrated. Seemed to work ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Yeah he takes maybe two or three ounces of water or watered down fruit juice but he really doesnt wana drink. I bought a few cups to try him with them but he just doesnt wana drink. I talked to the nurse but as usual in her regimental way - you must give him his bottle and thats that. But easier said then done as yu all prob know!

Thanks anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I have a vague recollection of one of mine going through a phase like that and drinking way less than she was supposed to. Since you can't actually force it down their throats there's not an awful lot you can do! I used to mix plenty of milk (formula at that age) in with her food instead of water to try to keep the intake up. There are also baby yogurts you can get which are made from fomula so are suitable for young babies. Mine used to love them mushed up with fruit so they were still getting plenty of calcium. She definitely wasn't getting as much milk as she should have been but it didn't do her any harm as it was just a phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Once junior gets 500-600ml of formula every day then your more or less OK. If it's less than that then it's time to talk to a healthcare professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My two went through stages of not wanting a bottle or not wanting solids depending on whether their front or back teeth were cutting - could it be something like that?

When they wouldn't drink out the bottle, I gave them pear & grape & other watery fruits...hth

Advertisement