Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OmniTel

Options
  • 17-10-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering has anyone used OmniTel and what were there experiences of it?

Thinking of getting in so any information would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

better known as callidus

search around and also see this

http://www.irishisptest.com/forum/other-providers/555-callidus-wireless-broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Cheers. Not a lot of information and kinda disappointed that installation is 300 in Clare as opposed to 200 everywhere else!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JollyRogerRadio

Far as I know, they use Motorola Canopy in Clare and that stuff is more expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tiamant888

I have OmniTel in Blessington, I find them ok, better than the other rural providers anyway, tried lastmile etc..these guys seem to know what they're doing, customer care aint bad either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Earlier this year I contacted Omnitel on their website looking to get Broadband for the house..... No response.

I rang them and left a message....no response.

I then rang again and got through to someone who sent me details (direct debit forms, etc). I filled these out and sent them in.

Waited a week, 2 weeks, 1 month, and got no reply.

I then mailed them back enquiring if they recveived the forms....No REPLY.

I rang them twice and left messages.....guess what? NO F*****G REPLY!

They obviously don't need my business. I can only imagine what their help desk is like, if this is how they treat people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

chewed wrote: »
    I then rang again and got through to someone who sent me details (direct debit forms, etc). I filled these out and sent them in.

Make sure they don't charge anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

yeah, I checked that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Earlier this year I contacted Omnitel on their website looking to get Broadband for the house..... No response.

I rang them and left a message....no response.

Waited a week, 2 weeks, 1 month, and got no reply.

I then mailed them back enquiring if they recveived the forms....No REPLY.

I rang them twice and left messages.....guess what? NO F*****G REPLY!

They obviously don't need my business. I can only imagine what their help desk is like, if this is how they treat people!
    Probably a case of the help desk being up a ladder putting up a receiver, most of the rural providers don't have the personnel to have dedicated customer service people. If its a case of going with this crowd over Eircom you would be mad but usually you would only be after a rural provider like Omintel aka Callidus if you couldn't get broadband through any other means and this is who they usually cater for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Probably a case of the help desk being up a ladder putting up a receiver, most of the rural providers don't have the personnel to have dedicated customer service people. If its a case of going with this crowd over Eircom you would be mad but usually you would only be after a rural provider like Omintel aka Callidus if you couldn't get broadband through any other means and this is who they usually cater for.

Eh. But you prefer to hang for hours on the support line to get no solution with Eircom ?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but any serious provider (rural or not) has dedicated support personell. Rural or regional providers exist in all sizes from 40 to over 1000 customers. You can't throw them all in one basket !!

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Marlow wrote: »
    Eh. But you prefer to hang for hours on the support line to get no solution with Eircom ?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but any serious provider (rural or not) has dedicated support personell. Rural or regional providers exist in all sizes from 40 to over 1000 customers. You can't throw them all in one basket !!

/Martin

I think you misunderstood what I was saying about Eircom. I was saying you would be mad not to go with Eircom if you could get them or any other dsl provider for that matter over the like of Omnitel. I never threw all providers into the one basket, I said most. Admittedly there are some professional outfits like yourselves (have talked to customers of Airwire and you seem like one of the better ones) but a good proportion of them are small time outfits and don't have a dedicated customer service team. I have first hand experience of Omnitel or Callidus as it was called then and they didn't have any serious customer service set up back then and had to wait for weeks before any reply as is the case with a good proportion of Rural providers.

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstood what I was saying about Eircom. I was saying you would be mad not to go with Eircom if you could get them or any other dsl provider for that matter over the like of Omnitel. Its not my Bubble Marlow just my experiences of Rural providers, admittedly there are some professional outfits like yourselves but most of them are small time outfits and don't have a dedicated customer service team. I have first hand experience of Omnitel or Callidus as it was called then and they didn't have any serious customer service set up back then and had to wait for weeks before any reply as is the case with a good proportion of Rural providers.

There's some like 30+ rural or regional providers in Ireland and trust me, a good few of them have dedicated support people or outsourced their support to a callcenter to ensure, that the calls get dealt with.

As for your personal experience, fair enuff, but it fortunately does not apply to any rural provider in the country.

/Martin

If it's like that, I'd suggest you check, if there is anybody else, that'll provide you. It might not be worth the hassle to connect.

Where are you located ?

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bbeeaannoo

Dont waste your time with Omnitel, Omnitel dont answer their phones, I have had their wireless "broadband" installed fir the past 6 months and it has worked on and off for about 2 weeks in full, it has been dead for the past month, cant get a response from them by email or phone or letter, as I write this there is letter from my brief is winging its way to them but I dont hold out much hope for a response, I am looking for my installation money back and the fees for the past 6 months. the best download speed that I got was 20 kbs. not exactly 1 meg broadband.

Stay away from them if you dont want a rather large headache and a bald head.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jimmac

Hi,
    I use IFA rural wireless broadband here in Co.Clare. Omnitel supply the tech support. I am getting 2 up and down. While the speeds are fairly good the lag time is shocking making VOIP useless. I do a speed and quality check every day with www.irishisptest.com. My speed does vary a small bit but my quality of service is never above 10% and my round time to server normally around 1200ms which is brutal.
    I sent an email nearly every day for weeks to IFA and Omnitel but no joy. After 4 months I cancelled my direct debit,I got a response within a week from IFA. They agreed there was a problem and Omnitel will fix it.
    That was about 6 months ago. I get the odd call from IFA to say that Omnitel had fixed it, but when I tell them that there is no change they say that Onmitel will sort it.
    The only positive is that I have not paid for my service since Sept last year and I know that there is a good number of people on the system in Clare not paying as well due to the crap tech support provided by Onmitel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement