Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hand Signals

Options
  • 17-10-2007 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding hand signals. Firstly do you still have to do a portion of your test doing hand signals and secondly as there are two hand signals for going making a left turn (anti-clockwise with right arm out window, or right forearm and fingers extended right across your chest.) If you are approaching a junction which one do you use or is it like this. As approaching a junction you signal that you are slowing down, the signal that you are making a left turn using the second signal, and only if you come to a complete stop do you use the first one) This has me confused and I hope you can make sense of what I'm asking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah you still have to do the hand signal thing... I was just asked, before we left the test centre, to roll down the window and demonstrate a few signals that he asked me to (about 3).

Yeah there are only 2 signals for turning left, as you mentioned.

I'm not sure which you'd use when, though, because I've never used them in real life.

Someone else will know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The right hand across your chest is for a gardai pointsmen directing traffic afaik

the other (right hand circling anti clockwise out the window) is for traffic at the rear and other road users

There are 3 signals for a garda pointsmen and 3 for "What if your lights indicators/brake don't work" scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Vegeta wrote: »
    The right hand across your chest is for a gardai pointsmen directing traffic afaik

the other (right hand circling anti clockwise out the window) is for traffic at the rear and other road users

There are 3 signals for a garda pointsmen and 3 for "What if your lights indicators/brake don't work" scenario

So you use the three "What if your lights indicators/brake don't work" every time unless you are indicating to a points man?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So you use the three "What if your lights indicators/brake don't work" every time unless you are indicating to a points man?
    The examiner will let you know whether it's for a pointsman or following traffic, e.g.

"Please demonstrate the hand signal you would use to inform the vehicle behind that you intend to turn left".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The examiner will let you know whether it's for a pointsman or following traffic, e.g.

"Please demonstrate the hand signal you would use to inform the vehicle behind that you intend to turn left".

You were correct, and I passed!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You were correct, and I passed!!!!
    Of course I was correct!! There's not much point in giving out false info! :D

Well done on passing! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Vegeta wrote: »

Spot on.

Congrats to the OP.

Advertisement