Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

most cost effective rifle for foxes

• 17-10-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

well folks. need some help. just thinking about getting rid of my .22lr as i dont use it, because i got it for rabbits, but i enjoy ferreting them a lot more.

i have been out doing a bit of lamping and i was rthinking about stocking up on a new rifle for the job. what do you gun nuts reckon would be the most cost effective centrefire for the job?

cheers lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

.223 no question about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

whats the best make do ya reckon fox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

stevoman wrote: »

Remington M700
    if you really want to splash out you can go for the vssf model 700
    prob cost about €1500 in .223 approx
    great weapon!! one you will have for life:o

i have one in .220 swift with a schmidt&bender 3x12x42 scope
    and it really does the job on mr fox!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

considering 223 licences are getting harder to get go swift awsome calibre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Good to see you posting again Tom.

Well I will second Tom's choice as I have a twin of that setup and can vouch for it's performance & effectiveness. :cool:

Ruger made the M77MKII VT in .220 Swift for a while.
    what do you gun nuts reckon would be the most cost effective centrefire for the job?

A .223.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

TomBeckett wrote: »
    Remington M700
    if you really want to splash out you can go for the vssf model 700
    prob cost about €1500 in .223 approx
    great weapon!! one you will have for life:o

:D

Answer the mans question (as I also want a fox rifle and am skint!).....
    Whats the most cost effective rifle. i.e what rifle and how much will it set him (us) back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I know all the advantages of 223 except as you know there is the thats a military round debate going on. I also like the 220 swift but the ammo is expensive but all the FAO has to do is scribble on the licence

I am petering on the brink of a 204 ruger (€24a box) approx E800 for a remmy or about €650-700 for the CZ. Now I have done quite a bit of research on this little round and as ever there are some who say don't touch it, but the ballistics are fierce (look at the ballistic coefficient) :cool:and it seems quite popular in the USA.

The biggest thing going for it is that the FAO doesn't wet himself after all it is smaller caliber than 22 WMR:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

what do you gun nuts reckon would be the most cost effective centrefire for the job?cheers lads!

CZ 527 does it for me.... Picked up the rifle new for €800. Scope & bipod etc cost extra.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

.223 anything from 12 euro upwards for 20 rounds of hunting ammunition, that being hollow point or ballistic tipped.

Remington for the make, a model 700 VL SS Thumbhole, VSSF II, or VLS will all give you good accuracy. You can get a VL SS in Ireland for under 1200 euro, the VSSF II will be somewhere around 1400 euro I think, not sure how much the VLS is but I'd guess around or under 1200 euro.

Make sure to get a good scope for night shooting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I know all the advantages of 223 except as you know there is the thats a military round debate going on. I also like the 220 swift but the ammo is expensive but all the FAO has to do is scribble on the licence
    Two 'IFs' that may become relevant as time goes on:
    1. IF all this hysterical nonsense calling the .223 a 'Military Calibre' stays going or gets worse, and...
    2. IF reloading ever finally becomes a reality here,
    I can see a huge resurgence in popularity for the .220 Swift.

Even though it's a significantly more powerful round, the 'experts' seem to be perfectly happy to license it over the .223 which appears to cause attacks of the vapours and much sucking of air through teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Ive only ever used 2 makes Stevo one was a steyer manlicher which i found good and accurate but a bit pricey. The other is a browning a bolt stainless which i am using at the moment it cost in the region of €1600 that included an 8x56 S&B on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've a Remington LVSF, which I consider to be a thing of beauty and a joy to behold, but all the manufacturers that I know of make guns in .223.
    Most (if not all) gun dealers carry a selection of guns in the calibre, so it's something of a case of going around and trying a bunch to see what suits you and your wallet.
    As with many things, there's a huge range of prices out there, from low four figures or thereabouts to eye watering figures for new guns, with some used examples becoming available for (a little) less than new prices.

For what it's worth, CZ are very well regarded for supplying good quality guns at reasonable prices.

<cracked record mode>
    Don't skimp on the scope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

thanks for the info lads, as always im much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Sharpie

I have used a friends 223 when out after foxes. Very effective out to great distances.

One thing I would say is that I am still surprised with the bang from it, for me it’s hard to distinguish from 243. Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. But for someone going from a .22 and not having heard what it’s like it would be well worth checking out as a moderator might be well worth fitting.

Just a thought – it’s still a great calibre and i'd love to go for one down the road, but with a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Sharpie wrote: »
    I have used a friends 223 when out after foxes. Very effective out to great distances.

One thing I would say is that I am still surprised with the bang from it, for me it’s hard to distinguish from 243. Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. But for someone going from a .22 and not having heard what it’s like it would be well worth checking out as a moderator might be well worth fitting.

Just a thought – it’s still a great calibre and i'd love to go for one down the road, but with a mod.

You think the bang from a .223 is bad!!
    you should hear the swiftie it would nearly give you a nose bleed:eek::D:D

The swift or the 22-250 got the nick name around cavan as "the light switch" everytime you pulled the trigger a light used to come on in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gun mad

well folks. need some help. just thinking about getting rid of my .22lr as i dont use it, because i got it for rabbits, but i enjoy ferreting them a lot more.

i have been out doing a bit of lamping and i was rthinking about stocking up on a new rifle for the job. what do you gun nuts reckon would be the most cost effective centrefire for the job?

cheers lads!

CZ527, wont get more accurate,40g bt, half inch at 100 yards out of the box,223 hit the fox lights out,fit a t8 ,and you have a good value for money rifle,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

TomBeckett wrote: »
    You think the bang from a .223 is bad!!
    you should hear the swiftie it would nearly give you a nose bleed:eek::D:D

not a lot in it imo, my mate has a swift and i have a .223 and the noise from the 2 of them would deafen you, should see the lights come on at night if we dont use the silencers :eek::eek:

Rovi wrote: »
    Two 'IFs' that may become relevant as time goes on:
    1. IF all this hysterical nonsense calling the .223 a 'Military Calibre' stays going or gets worse, and...
    2. IF reloading ever finally becomes a reality here,
    I can see a huge resurgence in popularity for the .220 Swift.

Even though it's a significantly more powerful round, the 'experts' seem to be perfectly happy to license it over the .223 which appears to cause attacks of the vapours and much sucking of air through teeth.

Happening dwn my way already !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

considering 223 licences are getting harder to get go swift awsome calibre

I cant see how you could call the swift a "cost effective centerfire"the rounds for it are nearly €2 a pop:rolleyes: In the right hands the 223 will kill a fox at the same distance as any swift.If you only shoot a small amount of foxes the price of ammo is not an issue really but once you start knocking a good few of them it definitly is an issue.If i was using a swift over the last year it would have cost me €500 on ammo with the .223 and hp american eagles at 70cent each it cost me €175.

• Advertisement

I have had 3 x 223's, and 2 x 204's and am on my 2nd swift (remmy VSSF). Nothing knocks foxes as well or as far away, as a swift, period. I admit ammo is pricey, but I never had a runner with a swift, I have with other 2 calibres. Good ammo for 223 was remmy accutip at €30 per box, hornady 204 at €25 per box, I am getting federal premium at €28 per box for swift. How's that more expensive ? I never found american eagle at €12 per box any good in any 223 I had past approx 150 yds. If I wanted more range had to use accutip and it was hard work to 300 yds. I can shoot confidently out to 350-400 yards with swift, could never do that with 223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

ok well i have a swift it's the best... its flat accurate, savage quality...just the best... ok?

cost effective? no way!

I have had 3 x 223's, and 2 x 204's and am on my 2nd swift (remmy VSSF). Nothing knocks foxes as well or as far away, as a swift, period. I admit ammo is pricey, but I never had a runner with a swift, I have with other 2 calibres. Good ammo for 223 was remmy accutip at €30 per box, hornady 204 at €25 per box, I am getting federal premium at €28 per box for swift. How's that more expensive ? I never found american eagle at €12 per box any good in any 223 I had past approx 150 yds. If I wanted more range had to use accutip and it was hard work to 300 yds. I can shoot confidently out to 350-400 yards with swift, could never do that with 223

€28 sounds more expensive than €12 to me:p Shooting at night at 350-400yards is not my cup of tea.A.e's kill foxes for me no prob furthest was 220yrds im sure i would have no hassle killing a lot further out with them but no point firing at anything much further at night.Johngalway .17rem and keelan have all got great results with american eagles federal make them so there spot on.If i was only to shoot a couple of foxes a year i would have a swift but would cost me a lot of money on ammo so fcuk that;)Are you not able to call in the foxes a bit closer bunny shooter:confused:

tikkamark wrote: »
    €28 sounds more expensive than €12 to me:p Shooting at night at 350-400yards is not my cup of tea.A.e's kill foxes for me no prob furthest was 220yrds im sure i would have no hassle killing a lot further out with them but no point firing at anything much further at night.Johngalway .17rem and keelan have all got great results with american eagles federal make them so there spot on.If i was only to shoot a couple of foxes a year i would have a swift but would cost me a lot of money on ammo so fcuk that;)Are you not able to call in the foxes a bit closer bunny shooter:confused:

Each to their own ;)

Yes I can call them in, but, there are times when they won't come too close 'cause someone has educated them by firing at them with inferior calibres ;)

Don't lamp with swift ! Use shotgun with eley BB's to lamp. Educated ones I ambush/call and shoot with swift in early morning/late evening ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

have to agree with mark cant beat american eagle in 223 for accuracy and value, half inch groups easy 12euro a box:) hornady 55gr moly shoot 3/8 in my vssf ii at 24 euro a box so i stick with ae. i never get any runners drops them on the spot. moderates very well, being able to see your hits when foxing is handy. a local fox shooter had a swift and swopped it for a 223 he is way happier with the 223, he has had 17rem 22,250 220swift and now 223 so knows what he is on about

On the cost note I would agree with Mark that the .223 is much better than the Swift.

On the issue of lamping, a .223 will kill anything at night that a Swift will. If anyone is taking shots, any calibre, at night with a rifle past .223 effective range they're an idiot.

I currently use 12Euro a box federal ammo through a Remington VLSS .223. Have grouped consistantly sub half inch to inch with it and have the pics online to prove that. I've bought many many types of ammo for testing, up to 36 Euro a box and found the Federal 12 Euro a box best.

All rifles differ in results with what you put through them, I don't think it's fair to knock cheap ammo on the basis that it's cheap.

I used to have a very fussy Tikka, 12 euro a box ammo was the only thing it liked to be fed.

Longest fox shot by me was 207 yards last week. Since I got the rifle I've missed two I think, both times it was shooter error. Not yet had a runner with it because I pick my shots instead of firing and hoping.

Depending (heavily) on the terrain, weather conditions and the rest I had (plus a couple other things) I'd be confident shooting at night under 250 yards. I don't see the point in anything farther at night so for lamping and having a cost issue...

My opinion anyhow, don't read this as me knocking any calibre, I'm not.

Most cost effective definately 223, but, licences are getting harder to come by im some areas, next most cost effective, 204 ruger or 17 rem

Everyone seems to say 223 as a caliber because of price

would I be right in saying 204 ruger, (personal preference)17 rem, and 222 rem for less hassle and less fainting (heart attacks from Supers et al.

220 swift, the foxes aint getting up but every house around you will be unless you have a suitably suppressed/sound moderated firearm.

But what rifle?:confused::confused:

cz, remmy, Howa,

Not necessarily the cheapest rifle, but what is the best value rifle out there????

Everyone seems to say 223 as a caliber because of price

would I be right in saying 204 ruger, (personal preference)17 rem, and 222 rem for less hassle and less fainting (heart attacks from Supers et al.

220 swift, the foxes aint getting up but every house around you will be unless you have a suitably suppressed/sound moderated firearm.

But what rifle?:confused::confused:

cz, remmy, Howa,

Not necessarily the cheapest rifle, but what is the best value rifle out there????

best value rifle, always CZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A winchester 92 carbine it will set you back €2,200 I have killed foxes sucessfully with mine.

best value rifle, always CZ

Dead right b,s c.z are the best value rifle out there very well made solid gun

Originally Posted by cavan shooter

CZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

have never used one... but is a .17hmr not ok for foxing? and as far as i know you can pick a new one up for around 500? i know it might shorten the range... but the thread does say "cost effective"

Raven23,
    Are you thinking of the .17 Remington ?
    The .17 HMR is intended for hunting animals such as squirrels, rabbits, prairie dogs, gophers, marmots, and other small creatures. This is the same class of game appropriately hunted with a rifle chambered for the .22 Magnum cartridge. However, the superior velocity and flat trajectory of the .17 HMR extends the humane range. Early reports from the field suggest that consistent one shot kills on ground hogs are possible at 150 yards if the shooter has the skill to get the bullet into a vital spot.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17HMR.htm

.17HMR isn't good enough, in terms of range or killing power, to be called a foxing rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

What about the Hornet?
    I've hunted with a lad using a CZ hornet for many years and it kills foxes on the spot about 90% of the time, as for the other 10% they only run a few yards before they drop. At €35 per box of 50 (70c a round) it's cheap to run and for normal medium range lamping distances it's spot on. You can still eat a rabbit after it's been shot with one too, this wouldn't be true for my .223 which blows them to shreds. I need to use head shots if I'm looking for some for the pot.
    Once a moderator is fitted it's real quiet too with very little recoil.
    Best of all a standard .22LR license will do for a straight swap with the Garda.
    Should be able to pick one up second hand no problem (about €750 to buy new)

In saying all that I love my .223, it's a tack driver with selective bunny head shots 200+ yards no problem. I've set mine at 1.5 inches high at 100 yards so it's pretty much point and fire out to 220 yards at any small target.
    Cheers,
    Slug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

What about the Hornet?
    I've hunted with a lad using a CZ hornet for many years and it kills foxes on the spot about 90% of the time, as for the other 10% they only run a few yards before they drop.
    Cheers,
    Slug

You mean you dont own one?? Come on, get serious about your shooting Slug!...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=146

Advertisement