Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test up north?

Options
  • 17-10-2007 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

My sister is currently going to a college in the uk. She applied for her theory test two weeks ago, passed it and can now do her driving test on the 20th of November.
    I applied for my test in April and still no sign of getting a date to do it.
    Since a UK licence is perfectly valid over here, is there anyway I could sit the test in the UK?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You need a UK address. And proof of living at that address, bills and things perhaps, not sure how long but a couple of months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MollyCoddle

tuxy wrote: »
    My sister is currently going to a college in the uk. She applied for her theory test two weeks ago, passed it and can now do her driving test on the 20th of November.
    I applied for my test in April and still no sign of getting a date to do it.
    Since a UK licence is perfectly valid over here, is there anyway I could sit the test in the UK?

You'd have to get a UK provisional, sit the UK theory test and then fork out for the practical test. Aside from the issue of not having a UK address it is very expensive, I live in the North and am coming down south for my test because I have provisionals for both jurisdictions and won't stump up for another theory test AND practical in NI.

Also most people think their practical is slightly harder as it includes bay parking. Not to mention the different road markings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I guess , but if I was to pass it would save me loads on my insurance premium.

Who is your insurance with? I'm with QD and my premium only goes down by a tenner with a full licence!

Can you get an employers letter or pick a test centre with a shortish list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

With Quinn also

I'm a 25 year old male driver of a 99 1.3 corolla.

My next premium(should have 1 years no claims by then) with a provisional will be €953.72.
    With full licence it would be €694.32.

So I really would like to attempt to get a test before my renewal next March.
    When I applied last April I used their figures(www.drivingtest.ie) to pick a test centre with a low waiting list. But their figures were years out of date, so I think I ended up with one that has a very high waiting time(50 weeks+). :(
    I even stated that I could do the test on short notice.

I might ask around and see if I can get someone with a VAT number to do out a latter for me.
    But I don't see why I should have to lie about having a job lined up just to get a test in under 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lots of people lie to get a letter from work, it's not the speed up it used to be :(

UK practical test includes emergency stop and parallel parking and is longer than the one down here

I'm 25 too but a girl so I guess that's why mine doesn't really make a diff! Mine is a 1.4 2001 puma.

If you can get the employer's letter great, if not then ring up and ask to switch test centres - they are usually pretty receptive to this idea and you can pick one with a shorter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The theory test for the UK is different (and harder) than here and the actual test is alot more technical than here with more manouvres being asked, they get you to do any 2 manouvres out of the following :
    1)left hand reverse
    2) parallel parking
    3) turn about (3 point turn) or
    4)reverse bay parking (in car park etc...)

You would need an address in the UK/N Ireland and waiting times are about 6-8 weeks. My gf lived up there for 3 years and did her test up there.

The road signs are also slightly different than here. They have what are known as National speed limit signs for instance, which is a white circle with a black line going through it to indicate the national speed limit for that type of road which confuses me slightly when I'm up north as I haven't checked these signs out yet to find out what exactly the limits are.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You need to be resident for over 6 months before you are eligible to sit any UK driving test.

Note, whilst broadly similar. Northern Ireland licences are separate from Mainland UK licences. NI ones are issued and administered by the DVTA whilst the rest of the UK is issued by the DVLA.

I hold a full UK licence and was considering doing a category C test, but I'd have to exchange my licence for an NI one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pete4130 wrote: »
    The road signs are also slightly different than here. They have what are known as National speed limit signs for instance, which is a white circle with a black line going through it to indicate the national speed limit for that type of road which confuses me slightly when I'm up north as I haven't checked these signs out yet to find out what exactly the limits are.

We had the exact same signs here up up 20 months ago... its 60mph. Actually means "end of speed limit" as anything posted with a sign is a variation to the UK "National Speed Limit" of 60mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MYOB wrote: »
    We had the exact same signs here up up 20 months ago... its 60mph. Actually means "end of speed limit"
    No it means 'general speed limit applies'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

pete4130 wrote: »
    They have what are known as National speed limit signs for instance, which is a white circle with a black line going through it to indicate the national speed limit for that type of road which confuses me slightly when I'm up north as I haven't checked these signs out yet to find out what exactly the limits are.

That sign up there means "National speed limit applies". It's not a set speed for the type of road. It's a set speed for the type of road AND type of vehicle. i.e. There's different limit for cars and different limit for lorries on the same type of road.

Road Safety NI PDF leaflet

Advertisement