Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run graphical application on remoter computer

• 17-10-2007 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to write a bash script at the moment which will ssh into another machine and start a graphical application on it. The remote machine has a Xvnc session running on it and I would like to start the application so that it shows up in that Xvnc window.

This is what I have at the moment but since the machine the script is running from has no X server running the application is not started,
    ssh user@remotemachine "mozilla"

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I don't think I am following you.

Are you trying to connect from A to B, running the application that is stored on B? And then displaying it elsewhere? If that is the case then the syntax will be <appname> -display <computer name where it is to be displayed>:0

I don't get the Xvnc bit. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Thanks. I wasn't exactly sure how to phrase the problem but the display option was what I needed. Works fine now.

Cheers Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

If X11Forwarding is set to yes on the server in /etc/ssh/sshd.conf,
    you can run ssh -X user@remotemachine "mozilla"
    On a slow link to a fast machine, you may get better response with ssh -XC

ssh takes care of setting up a secure tunnel, and sets the DISPLAY variable for you.
    -XC uses a compressed secure tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

To start Firefox, you may need the -no-remote option:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-477493.html

Advertisement