Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia v England On Ice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So what will the excuse be this time?

Plastic pitch? McClaren? Lampard? Cristiano Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd imagine they'll focus on the fact it wasn't a peno. I must say, the Sky commentators are being suprisingly unbiased and honest. Not the half time people, but the actual commentators. It's a rare sight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Archimedes wrote: »
    So what will the excuse be this time?

Plastic pitch? McClaren? Lampard? Cristiano Ronaldo?

Dont forget Communist plots, the KGB and bribary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Robinson won't play for England again I'll bet.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the guy has lost it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

yup essentially Russia would have to beat Israel in Isreal to oust england from qualification. although of course they also play Andorra while England would have to beat table topping Croatia

the Russians are very close to the Israeli's and what do Israel have to play for (and since when did Israel become a good team). I'd say it'll be Russia who get through if they win this.

who to be his immediate replacement? Carson or James?

And thats that. I'll be following Scotland next summer (hopefully).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Niiiice

Quote from another forum:
    2-1. FT.

Rooney's fault.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Well played Russia. Robinson is committing some serious blunders this season.

lol, heres the question, do you fire him now or at the end of the qualifiers? Even if they do qualify, if they play this bad, they won't get far. I'd say, fire him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Sack Maclown ASAP, My christ this was lost to Macidonia(ps?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

mike65 wrote: »
    Robinson won't play for England again I'll bet.
    Funny - last week, McClaren seemed to basically say that as Robinson had kept some good clean sheets with England recently, his club form wasn't going to count against him... I remember thinking it was a bit silly to be waiting until AFTER a mistake is made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well that's made my night. I'm off to sleep soundly. Pity I won't get to see us in action (kicks off at 2.45am my time) but hopefully I'll wake up to good news i.e. we're out and Stan's left! ;)

Oh off topic but C. Ronaldo just scored in the last minute for Portugal to beat Borat's lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd fancy Israel to stop Russia winning but who knows

• Advertisement

I'd get James in for the remaining games then draft in Scott Carson starting with the summer friendlies, obviously Carson on the bench until then.

Oh and McClaren out of course!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

absolutely gutted.

Didnt realise the Russkis were such bad sportsmen not taking owt away from the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

How many more managers will Robinson get sacked this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Unearthly wrote: »

I agree. they arent an easy team especially at home so I cant see it being a walk in the park for russia. but if Russia do win its bye bye England because the Russians wont lose to Andorra and I highly doubt Croatia will lose to Macedonia either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is it any surprise really? McClaren was nobody's preference, he got the job because the FA panel couldn't agree on anyone else/find anyone competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

tbh i thought Russia were the team doing all the work and England were just sitting back and making too many last ditch tackles. I couldnt believe the commentators thought England were in control as they kept saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Call_me_al wrote: »
    I couldnt believe the commentators thought England were in control as they kept saying.

Commentators on BBC5 Live said Russia dominated the 2nd half.
    They did go on about the peno, but they didn't seem too shocked about the result given the performance.
    606 should make for interesting listening tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Is it any surprise really? McClaren was nobody's preference, he got the job because the FA panel couldn't agree on anyone else/find anyone competent.

See the thing about this is, when was the last time an england manager delivered... sven wasn't good enough, now mclaren isn't good enough. I really don't know what's wrong with england when it comes to their national team. Do people think that if someone like scolari came in that england would win the world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Scotland 1-0 down to Georgia :eek:

The players have to shoulder a lot of the blame, no manager is ever going to be good enough for England (well unless they win the world cup). Scolari would more than likely ruin his reputation if took the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The Russia-Israel game is only half the story.

Basically Russia will beat Andorra so they are sure of 24 points with the poss of 25 or 27 depending on the Israel game.

Croatia have 26 points with Macedonia and England to play. 1 point from those two games gets them through.

England have 23 points with one game against Croatia at Wembly. They MUST BEAT Croatia AND THEN hope that Israel beat Russia. Quite frankly, I'd be very surprised if
    England go through now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

With Scotland losing, it doesn't look like any of the "home" nations will be off to the Euro's :eek:

One of the 606 posters

"comment by Oh Campione! We're the 1 and only, we're Liverpool!
    posted Just Now

Ingurland 0
    Carragher 1

All England deserve. McCLoudhead's pathetic ''pick the biggest names/Man U players/ ex Man U players policy has came un-done. Hahahaha!
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

One of the 606 posters

posted Just Now

Ingurland 0
    Carragher 1

All England deserve. McCLoudhead's pathetic ''pick the biggest names/Man U players/ ex Man U players policy has came un-done. Hahahaha!
    "

So insightful.
    I had to chuckle. This person has some form of paranoid conspiracy theory going on. I'm just finished watching A Beauiful Mind, but I fear that's where the similarities between "Oh Campione!" and Dr. John Nash end!:p

One of the 606 posters

posted Just Now

Ingurland 0
    Carragher 1

"

heh thats kinda funny, considering players from Spurs, Man City, Portsmouth, Everton, Villa and Newcastle all started...(none of them ex Man U players)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I can see the headlines tomorrow. " FA confirm interest in Sammy Lee" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Unearthly wrote: »

please god,and yes robinson should be dropped,into the north sea or under a car,god he was bad for the second goal,what a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

any links to the goals ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

How did Barry play?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he played quite well considering the result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah glad to hear it. Would love to see England qualify so he can strut his stuff on the big stage. Doubt it now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Robinson really need shooting. I'm sure a Spurs fan would be more than happy to oblige.

Only saw the goals so cant comment on Englands play in general. How did the linesman standing a few yards behind Rooney not see that the challenge was outside the box? Loved the Rooney dive after the guy went down. It was like he was after a peno himself. :D

Who did McLaren play in the middle woth Gerrard?

On an issue of the pitch, nothing to do with the fact that it was England who Russia beat but does anyone else think they have an advantage, however small, over visiting teams by playing on a plastic pitch? It's a completely different surface to grass and plays as such. I would prefer it wasnt allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote: »

Only saw the goals so cant comment on Englands play in general. How did the linesman standing a few yards behind Rooney not see that the challenge was outside the box? Loved the Rooney dive after the guy went down. It was like he was after a peno himself. :D

Same lino who said Rooney was onside for his goal.

kdjac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Robinson really need shooting. I'm sure a Spurs fan would be more than happy to oblige.

Who did McLaren play in the middle woth Gerrard?

On an issue of the pitch, nothing to do with the fact that it was England who Russia beat but does anyone else think they have an advantage, however small, over visiting teams by playing on a plastic pitch? It's a completely different surface to grass and plays as such. I would prefer it wasnt allowed.

for the first 60+mins the pitch didnt hinder England although the guy who scored both Russia's goals was the only player that plays their regularily.

Barry played beside Gerrard again today and both stayed on the field when Lampard came on later.

Robinson's recent performances for club and country mean he should prob be dropped and temp replaced by James, long term Carson. Although i never thought a player with the nic Calamity should start Internationally if im honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

At least this makes the way clear for a home international's tournament next summer, seeing as no-one will be busy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Although i never thought a player with the nic Calamity should start Internationally if im honest.

Ropey Robbo?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

So a win for Russia in Israel and England are out. The only thing that might do it for Russia is the fact it's a must win. If this was earlier in the campaign I wouldn't fancy them at all.

That scorer for Russia tonight scored Spartak's two against Celtic aswell. I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest in him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Bare in mnd Russia have a certain Gus Hiddink as manager. He never fails;) Should be on the FAI's list but they cant afford him:rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Some of Dundalk FC's improvements in the first division can be attributed to Oriel Park being converted to all-weather and thus Dundalk having a better feel for the pitch. But in fairness - the Russian climate demands such a pitch. England would have preferred playing on it than a muddy or icy grass field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

See the thing about this is, when was the last time an england manager delivered... sven wasn't good enough, now mclaren isn't good enough. I really don't know what's wrong with england when it comes to their national team. Do people think that if someone like scolari came in that england would win the world cup?

in my opinion, players are made gods at a very early age. They have agents telling them they will make millions and start to believe it. I becomes a job to them and they don't seem to be able to get the passion they should have for wearing the national jersey. I think this could apply to Ireland as well btw.

Martin O'Neil applied for the England job and they gave it to McLaren:confused:

My only concern now is that they are talking about Harry Redknapp. That would be a disaster for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

in my opinion, players are made gods at a very early age. They have agents telling them they will make millions and start to believe it. I becomes a job to them and they don't seem to be able to get the passion they should have for wearing the national jersey. I think this could apply to Ireland as well btw.

Martin O'Neil applied for the England job and they gave it to McLaren:confused:

My only concern now is that they are talking about Harry Redknapp. That would be a disaster for us.

Pompey or England?

The expectation and pressure put on English players is huge and they've always failed to live up to it. There seems to be no cohesion in the team. They just look like 11 strangers on the pitch and that's something the manager has to take responsibility for. The constant hounding of the tablod press, just waiting for the manager to slip up so they can be the first to say 'I told you so', doesn't help either.

IMO, the reason the team does well is because the manager isn't strong enough to pick a team but instead picks the players. Gerrard and Lampard have consistantly under-performed for England, yet they continously get picked. Lampard gets injured and Barry finally gets his case, but ultimately, he messes it up, and now won't be back. They play in the strong system and in the wrong style. A big Phil would fix that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

An Citeog wrote: »
    Pompey or England?

The expectation and pressure put on English players is huge and they've always failed to live up to it. There seems to be no cohesion in the team. They just look like 11 strangers on the pitch and that's something the manager has to take responsibility for. The constant hounding of the tablod press, just waiting for the manager to slip up so they can be the first to say 'I told you so', doesn't help either.

both. I think he is an excellent club manager but I don't think he would be as good as an international manager.

You are right about the expectations. One of my colleagues was moaning about the Irish Rugby team, the "Golden Generation" full of world class players etc. All the media hype, the marketing campaigns etc and then ultimately failing. I did welcome him o the world of an England football fan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

to nip this in the arse right away, this was on football365 yesterday

A quick look at the Russia squad for the game reveals only two players are with clubs that call the Luzhniki Stadium home. They are Spartak Moscow's Dmitry Torbinsky and Roman Pavlyuchenko, neither of whom are likely to start the game.

Added to that, Russia have played none of their qualifiers so far in the stadium, and no games at all there in 2007.

Even taking into account that most of the squad do play in Russia - so therefore will have played on the pitch a couple of times a year - it hardly constitutes a massive advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Some of Dundalk FC's improvements in the first division can be attributed to Oriel Park being converted to all-weather and thus Dundalk having a better feel for the pitch. But in fairness - the Russian climate demands such a pitch. England would have preferred playing on it than a muddy or icy grass field.

They are reverting it to a grass pitch during their close season because they are hosting the Champions League final and that competition rules state it has to be played on real grass - a bit hypocritical from UEFA I think if its good enough for a qualifier but not for a final?
    event wrote: »
    to nip this in the arse right away, this was on football365 yesterday

A quick look at the Russia squad for the game reveals only two players are with clubs that call the Luzhniki Stadium home. They are Spartak Moscow's Dmitry Torbinsky and Roman Pavlyuchenko, neither of whom are likely to start the game.

Added to that, Russia have played none of their qualifiers so far in the stadium, and no games at all there in 2007.

Even taking into account that most of the squad do play in Russia - so therefore will have played on the pitch a couple of times a year - it hardly constitutes a massive advantage.

He actually came off the bench to score both goals;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement