Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Limerick City without land line (excluding metro)

Options
  • 17-10-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I cannot get a Digiweb metro signal in my area in Limerick City.
    Digiweb have advised me i need a land line.

Whats the lowdown on the other BB options that i don't need a land line for? Or should i just get in a landline and go with their DSL package?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

get a landline and go with Smart who are cheaper and faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Ibb?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

ok, thanks for the feedback
    Does anyone have any extra thoughts on Smart in Limerick?

Last time i checked, IBB service was bad so i don't think i'll consider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

flashcash5 wrote: »

Have a look around your area for outside antannae, this should be a good indication of worthwhile providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They seem to have their act together now. Thought they did reduce the range on Breeze in Limerick so unless you're close to the city centre you probably can't get it.

Your other non-phone options are Chorus (noooooooo), Ripwave (only city centre and probably not worth it as it's pretty useless) or 3G.

Get a land line and get Smart though would be a good plan. Smart is available off the Roche's St. and Castletroy exchanges. It's not available from the Dooradoyle exchange any more. Don't know why that is, perhaps they're at capacity.

If you know any neighbours phone number, or the number for a shop/pub/Chinese near by then check that as it would be a good indication of what's available.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, i'll get my next-door neighbour's telephone line and get a test done in it through Smart. Does Smart provide a static IP?

Hi,

I think i'm going to get a landline in and go with Smart so if anyone has any final comments, they're all welcome.
    Price isnt a main option, just want speed & a good service..

Thanks in advance

Price isnt a main option, just want speed & a good service..

I think you'll get the best of all 3 with Smart. Get the line in with eircom first. You could order it through Smart but it could be slower as they'll have to order it through eircom anyway and they might not be in any hurry to see business go to the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

Where in Limerick are you living firstly? IBB are on the Clarion Hotel, ESB Ballysimon, a hotel just off Abbey lane and a mast near Roxboro. There is no need for a phone line and the service has greatly improved since the old days of unplanned sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Decoration on your roof & pay more ?

44euro for 5meg from Smart vs . 48euro for 3meg from IBB

54euro for 7meg from Smart vs. 169eurc for 6meg from IBB( is not wireless)

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php?u=h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Where in Limerick are you living firstly? IBB are on the Clarion Hotel, ESB Ballysimon, a hotel just off Abbey lane and a mast near Roxboro. There is no need for a phone line and the service has greatly improved since the old days of unplanned sites.
    Breeze yes, Ripwave no.

Hi,

I'm near the clarion yea, don't think i'll be looking at that option though from what i've heard but if smart is cheaper than their breeze option, i'll go with that..

So, do i ring Eircom, ask them to install a land line and do i tell them i want broadband on it or what? Have any of you got a landline from eircom and put a Smart service on it?

thanks again all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Smart Exchanges

1 BEGGARS BUSH
    2 BLANCHARDSTOWN
    3 CABRA
    4 CLONTARF
    5 COOLOCK
    6 CROWN ALLEY
    7 DOLPHINS BARN
    8 LUCAN BALLYDOWD
    9 MERRION
    10 NANGOR ROAD
    11 NORTH MAIN
    12 NUTLEY
    13 SANTRY
    14 SHIP STREET
    15 SUMMERHILL
    16 TALLAGHT
    17 WALKINSTOWN
    18 WHITEHALL
    19 CHURCHFIELD
    20 CORK CENTRAL
    21 DENNEHYS CROSS
    22 QUAKER ROAD
    23 WELLINGTON ROAD
    24 DUNDALK
    25 WATERFORD
    26 WATERFORD TYCOR
    27 CASTLETROY
    28 CROSSAGALLA
    29 DOORADOYLE
    30 LIMERICK

31 RATHEDMOND
    32 LETTERKENNY
    33 GALWAY
    34 MERVUE
    35 SHANTALLA
    36 PORTLAOISE
    37 SLIGO

??
    I think so .. '30 LIMERICK' ?

Will try get phone number of neighbour and see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

Go with Smart -- absolutely no question about it.

I've been a happy Smart customer for nearly 3 months now (in Limerick). No contention, no limits.

My only question for Smart is why they block carrier pre-select on voice calls (e.g. 13434). ComReg won't give me an answer :cool:

Because it is a VOIP based service. I don't think any VOIP operator offers CPS, nor are they required to.
    Smart is selling you Broadband that happens to provide phone (LLU). If it was GLUMP, then you would have a old fashsioned phone service and able to get CPS.

Thanks a mill all
    Much appreciated.

??
    I think so .. '30 LIMERICK' ?

Will try get phone number of neighbour and see..

I think the one listed as Limerick is the Roche's St exchange. If you're near the Clarion then I'd say you'll be within range of that for Smart. Ask eircom to install the line, no need to mention broadband as it'll make SFA difference to them. Once done, apply to Smart using your eircom account number and phone number. That's all you need I think.

Ah crap, Smart just got back to me and said that they don't have it in my area and she said something about the Caherdavin exchange being the nearest to be and that it's not available on that.

So i'm practically at the river in between Sarsfield & Shannon bridge & i cant get Digiweb because of LOS and cant get SMART because of my location.

What next??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Has your LoS test been done on the roof of your place or out the window ?
    Can you see the Clarion from the roof of your place? There is some wireless service (IB, I think) coming from there.
    Pump the neighbours a bit. They may know more.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.
    Nobody from Digiweb came down and did any LOS tests. I just gave the girl in Digiweb my address, she checked with her installations department and 'unfortunately we cannot get a signal for Metro' in the area. If the antenna is still on top of the RTE base station @ woodcock hill, i'd say she's right because TV signals to there are crap from the antennas on my roof.
    I can see the clarion from my gaff and yes, i think it is the IBB antenna that is on top of that. I was staying away from them because of previous feedback but if the antenna supports their business package, i might look at it. Also getting flyers in the door for perlico BB @ 99 cent a month (which sounds like it must be a crap service or has more strings) but might investigate that further. If IBB is still crap i suppose i might have to look at Eircom who most of my neighbours are with...

The IBB "business" package comes from Woodcock hill too.
    Clarion was Ripwave. :(
    I don't know where they do Breeze from.

Maybe you need a taller pole on your roof.

Just in a low spot thats all really. If the service is good from whatever IBB package i can get is alot better than the not-so-good service, i might look at it. Another option i was thinking was getting a dsl line test done on a neighbours number for a digiweb package that isn't based on los..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Ripwave Is Good I Have In Limerick It For The Last Year And I Get Speeds Of 300kb/s Down And 100kb/s Up I Very Happy:):):)

Advertisement