Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash ads blocking the DHTML menus

Options
  • 17-10-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

A number of ads (eg Lucosade and Digiphone) seem to have "always on top" syndrome and are inhibiting my enjoyment of these wonderful forums by blocking out some content from the last 5 drop-down menus.

I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.7 on OS X but the problem seems to occur with other configurations too.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The lucozade one works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I havent seen an ad in about a year.. <3 adblock+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

And don't the admins love you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bad form.

I dont click on ads anyway, so why need to see them? PITA imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You do realise that the ads finance the running and bandwidth costs of this site, right?

yup, I know - but honestly, if I'm not going to click on them, I honestly don't need to see them. but if it will make you happy.. *gets second pc onto boards w/o adblock+*

I use adblock all over the internet, but not here. The only exception was when the adserver gave trouble last week, and since the upgrade came into effect I have switched it off once more.

It's all about page impressions at the end of the day.

I'm the first one to point out a shortcoming where I see one, but I can live with the presence of adverts on this site, once they go toward the upkeep/put a few quid in the admins pockets.

To the credit of said admins, they have always aspired to keep advertisement presence here to a minimum, for which they should be applauded, and which makes a big difference to the quality of the boards.ie experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Lets not get into adblock wars, yes there is a single banner on each page, mostly google, house ads for charity, football team recruitment, get well soon and most importantly upcoming Halloween beers:) and an increasing number of paid banners, not enough to retire on enough to pay the bills and contribute to boards beers venues.

There are a couple of extra small banners on the front page, I would imagine boards.ie has fewer commercial banners the most sites of its size.

@cornbb we had a problem with flash and ie under windoze until recently which is why we only started allowing flash ads again earlier this year.

Its an issue with the DHTML menu, as I understand it, does this happen with the vodafone banners also? Will take a look to see if there is a fix for it anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah the only time I used adblock here was when the adserver went a bit mad. I didn't even have it installed so the adserver breaking was a blessing in disguise. Considering how much I use this site and how unobtrusive the ads actually are , I don't mind them being there. They helped pay for that new shiney server too. I actually use them some time. I clicked the halo 3 ad a few times, that was cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Really dont want to get into ad wars. But does using adblock curb the sites income? Is there revenue for each ad succesfully displayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I usually see an ad that interests me every couple of days and I make sure to click it.

I click one or two randomly on a daily basis...

edit: That post was crying out for a "so there", but that wasn't my intention :p

We get paid for ads served/displayed, some of the google ads pay more for click thru

Only click an ad that interests you.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Vexorg wrote: »
    Lets not get into adblock wars, yes there is a single banner on each page, mostly google, house ads for charity, football team recruitment, get well soon and most importantly upcoming Halloween beers:) and an increasing number of paid banners, not enough to retire on enough to pay the bills and contribute to boards beers venues.

There are a couple of extra small banners on the front page, I would imagine boards.ie has fewer commercial banners the most sites of its size.

@cornbb we had a problem with flash and ie under windoze until recently which is why we only started allowing flash ads again earlier this year.

Its an issue with the DHTML menu, as I understand it, does this happen with the vodafone banners also? Will take a look to see if there is a fix for it anyway.

Don't think it happens with the Vodafone ads, just noticed it with the ones that I mentioned.

I respect the discrete advertising employed by boards, its very unintrusive compared to the advertising used on many other reputable sites. I started this thread as a bug report/feedback sort of thing as opposed to a complaint. Thanks for looking at it anyway!

hehe no prob.. i know you were just reporting a bug.. next time you see a vodafone one will you check if it causes a problem, it should as they are flash also. It may be something in the the coding of the flash file.

It must be something to do with OS X as I'm on xp and using firefox 2.0.0.7 and I have no problems with the lucozade ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No problems here.
    XP, FF 1.0.5.12.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont care if you block ads, I mean, I dont want the steam off your piss anyway. Continue to take take take because, you know, that's a sustainable approach to things you fncking leech...

Like the nice new DB server? Like the upgrade in speed? Enjoy our site do you? Fine.

But don't, DON'T come here and shove it in our faces "oooh look at me, I wouldnt even give you a fncking impression, I'm fncking l33t me!"

Ohhh makes my fncking blood boil.

DeV.

I agree with you.

There are many sites out there that have blocked FF entirely, because of adblock alone, but that's a whole other debate...

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    hehe no prob.. i know you were just reporting a bug.. next time you see a vodafone one will you check if it causes a problem, it should as they are flash also. It may be something in the the coding of the flash file.

There's no problem with the Vodafone ad funnily enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Firefox 2.0.0.7 and Mac OS X and Digiweb and Vodafone hads have been causing these probs for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

FF 2.0.07, Mac OSX and definitely the Digiweb ad and there's a couple of others (can't remember which) have this problem for me too.

Same problem using Safari 2.0.4 on OS X

/Heads off to shoot Steve Jobs

Advertisement