Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The joshua tree re-release

Options
  • 17-10-2007 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Anyone else listening to today fm today? U2 are re releasing the joshua tree to mark the 20th anniversary of the original album. It will come in a few different formats, one been a double vinyl edition. There will be another version with a dvd included of U2 playing in Paris on the 4th of july 1987.
    It is being released on the 20th of november, i for one will be buying this!!
    What does everyone else think of this? Another money grabbing adventure by U2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

It is and it isn't.
    The Joshua Tree has been in need of remastering for quite some time, even the original CD version of it is very low. The second disk won't be worth sh*t though as the original version of Sweetest Thing, Luminous Times, Spanish Eyes and Walk To The Water and Silver and Gold are already on the best of 1980-1990's b-sides album, leaving Deep In The Heart and The Race Against Time the only tracks that haven't been re-issued. And whereas Deep In The Heart is actually a good tune, Race Against Time is bloody dire!

The Paris DVD will be worth checking out though. I also believe the Outside It's America documentary will also be included on the DVD. I'll probably get it for collectors purposes though.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

stevo86 wrote: »
    Another money grabbing adventure by U2?

Of course. Should we expect anything other than Bono and his boys taking everyone for a ride again? It's even getting a bit boring now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

can't start giving out about u2 cahing in at this stage in their career, they've always been a cash in band. having said that i'll probably contribute to their fund by buying the cd with live dvd as i already have a double gatefold record

In fairness though for the Popmart and ZooTV DVD reissues, at least they came with second discs full of stuff that hadn't been seen before. So at least people who got the original videos got something out of it.

Same for this re-issue. Outside It's America and the July 4th show are quite difficult to get a hold of now, unless you seek out some bootleg outlets.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think I probably will be getting the Joshua Tree 20th anniversary edition. I seen the "Outside It's America" documentary before and its pretty good. I also seen some of the songs of the Paris concert but not the whole show, so can't wait to see that.

I recently bought the Popmart 2 disc version, dvd, its great. I used to have it on video but now I dont have a video player so I got the dvd.

It does seem to be a money grabbing excersise though in a way, U2 have released something in time for Christmas every year for the last few years, but I would say its more to do with the record companies than the band in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Most big bands release something for Christmas anyway. As much as I like REM, they're really cashing in by putting on sale their first live album and a live DVD soon of a concert from 2005 in the Point which was rubbish.

'Outside It's America' would be good to have - i've only watched a poor version from youtube. The Paris gig from '87 also looks great.

Outside It's America is what Rattle and Hum should have been. I think almost 20 years on, they're now copping on as to why that movie got shat on by every critic.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I really liked rattle and hum :(

Hey! You're singing to the choir! I enjoyed it as well, but the movie was a commercial failure. The album made up for it for the live stuff that was on it. Even the band themselves admitted it was a flop.

VR!

Advertisement