Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

climbing wall

Options
  • 17-10-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

hey does any one know if the climbing wall in trinity college has opened uop to the public??

an if so do they do pay by the visit like UCD or do you have to pay yearly?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Membership is open to the public but is quite expensive because every student is a paying member of the gym by default. You cannot pay-as-you-go to any of the facilities in the Sports Centre.

The membership page doesn't specify a price for private/corporate membership for the year.

Also to use the Climbing Wall on your own you need to pass a climbing safety test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm not sure, in fact I'm not sure anybody is sure.

Here's the discussion on www.climbing.ie.

I do know that it costs €15 to do a belay test and you can't climb until you've done one. :eek:

<edit>
    Apparently Ibid is sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

ah the belay test is alright im an experienced climber just looking to move in doors for the winter:) i go to ucd i was just wondering if the wall there was any better........but if its expensive ucd will do:D

I think €15 is a lot of money to show somebody that you can belay myself. A fiver maybe but its free in most walls.

from what i can remember it was free in ucd and than 8 euro a visit

do you climb yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Too slow, Evil Phil :D.

Let me adjust my comments slightly: You cannot use any of the facilities in the Sports Centre to my knowledge, but I usually know a good bit about these things. This PDF is the guideline document for using the wall. It refers constantly to "Members", which I presume means membership of the Sports Centre. Which is limited and doesn't come cheap, afaik. To be fair with all 15,000 students having to cough up €70 at the start of the year things are tight enough in those quarters. It would be nice to have a casual use option for the wall though; maybe €100 for the hour as suggested on the thread on climbing.ie. The whole Center is new and started off with huge funding problems so they're really only starting out, so such a move may well happen when things settle down within a couple of years or so.

cheers ibid

il just stay with ucd so....

Its €100 to join UCD climbing wall for a year from 1st October to 1st October, €3 per visit after that so if you're going to be there more than 20 times in the year its worth your while joining.

I do climb, I'm in the IMC (so I get UCD for 80 yoyos), but I've given up routes for a year to focus on bouldering. Although I may do some ice climbing over the winter.

ice climbing cool:D

did you do a course on that? where will you go to do that?

http://www.ice-fall.com/rs/titre/Ice/Climbing/Ecrins/(GB)/232.aspx is where I'm thinking of heading. It has a really good setup - free mini buses to the main climbing sectors. Free ice-tools (no crampons though). There's even free lessons with a guide. If you're competent on multipitch a session with a guide should have you out on the routes. Even single pitch will see you getting climbing in.

• Advertisement

cool im only climbing single pitch but would love to try the ice climbing! i have access to all the gear ice axes, ice screws and crampons etc so i muct get off my hole and sort it out some time have you done it before?

Yep, I was there in 2006 and had a great time. It was my first time doing it. On my last day I climbed a 200m route with a guy from Sligo.

deadly thats some climb!:eek:

is it a package thing or what couldnt get much info from that site you gave me how much is it?

Well the festival is free but you have to organise your travel and a place to stay. I flew into lyon and travelled by train (which was a full day). Friends flew to Milan and drove from there, with hindsight that's the way to do it.

cool and do you have to pay for the guide and lessons?

just to answer my own question.....i was talking to a climbing buddy of mine in dalkey yesterday and he is using the wall in trinity and paying by visit.

it 10 euro a visit and suppose to be much bigger and better than ucd.

Is there a bouldering wall?

i dont know phil im gonna go up and try it out on thursday so i will let you know then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JonathanClWall

Hi Guys

Yes as some of you have said to climb on the wall in trinity you DO need to do a belay test no mater how experienced you are at climbing.

Rates are:
    Members 5 Euro to do the test and 1 Euro per climb
    Non Members can use the wall Fri, Sat, Sun fee is 15 for test and 10 Euro to climb after that.

Also if there is a large group of climbers they can book the wall for 100euro per hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hi Guys

Yes as some of you have said to climb on the wall in trinity you DO need to do a belay test no mater how experienced you are at climbing.

Rates are:
    Members 5 Euro to do the test and 1 Euro per climb
    Non Members can use the wall Fri, Sat, Sun fee is 15 for test and 10 Euro to climb after that.

Also if there is a large group of climbers they can book the wall for 100euro per hour

I won't waste my time. I'm not a tightwad, but I wouldn't pay €15 for the privelage of showing someone that I can run an ATC. I'd rather spend it on juice out to Dalkey or over to UCD to be honest.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't mind showing somebody that I can do it, in fact I'd be reluctant to climb at a wall where I didn't have to. But €15 to do so? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Whats involved in the belay test??? i'm only starting climbing and doing a basic course but want to go to a different wall to see what its like

Whats involved in the belay test???

do you know how to belay??

the belay test is you just have to belay for your buddy while he climbs and than lower him down again under control when he has reached the top, the tester normally just stands beside you watching everything you do.........just remember never let go of the live rope!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Whats involved in the belay test???

do you know how to belay??

the belay test is you just have to belay for your buddy while he climbs and than lower him down again under control when he has reached the top, the tester normally just stands beside you watching everything you do.........just remember never let go of the live rope!

Yeah finally started this on the course last night, will take a bit of practice methinks

Yeah finally started this on the course last night, will take a bit of practice methinks

yeah it take a bit of practice but you will get the hang of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

peter-pantslez wrote:
    just remember never let go of the live rope!
    This is nitpicking, as it's probably not like anyone is going to be using boards.ie for climbing advice, but...
    He probably meant to say, never let go of the dead rope. You could, and probably even should let go of the live rope.
    The live rope is the rope between the belay and the climber, and the dead rope is the rope after it's been through the belay, so while you can let go of the live rope, and probably would when arresting a fall, its very important not to let go of the dead rope, so belay plate or whatever holds the rope, and the anchors/body weight stops the fall.

But don't read stuff on boards and go climbing, go get instruction in person from somewhere reputable!
    Apologies for being anal about this, but may as well have it right.

From: http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=140
    "The crucial aspect of belaying is learning the differences between the live rope and the dead rope. The live rope feeds out of the top of the belay device to the climber. The dead rope feeds out of the bottom of the belay device to the rope (in the picture shown below the dead rope forms a pair of coils on the ground). It is holding the dead rope that activates the belay device, and so the key rule is to never let go of the dead rope. Should the leader fall, the belayer must tightly grab the dead rope and hold the fall."

• Registered Users Posts: 10 downeyac

Hi Do you need to be a Trinity student to use the climbing wall?
    Thanks

Advertisement