Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Channel Problem - Slots 1/2

Options
  • 17-10-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi

I have a custom built PC, and over the past few months have been unable to run the system in dual channel mode. On my board, the slots for dual channel are 1&3, and 2&4. I am unable to use the first two slots at all - if I try to use them individually or with another stick in any other slot a long beeping error comes up when booting the PC - as far as I know this is for improperly slotted RAM.

It didn't bother me at first, but now the fact that it's effectively running at half the potential speed is getting on my nerves - not helped that PC components seem to age faster than dogs, the components are still quite good. It would really help if I could take advantage of the dual channel mode that both my motherboard and RAM should be able to use.

It first happened when I took out my CPU to put new thermal grease on it - when I put it back in, the motherboard make that same droning beep that I've become so accustomed to when I try to use slots 1 or 2. I didn't touch anything else. I simply put it back in, put the computer back together, and then turned it back on.

I've tried different RAM and lent my RAM to a friend, had it replaced, and still nothing.

Not sure what's the problem at this point - trying to refuse the idea that the motherboard's broke - don't want to have to replace it.

Any help would be appreciated - up the wall at this point!

Thanks

Specs (from CPUZ)
    Processor(s) Intel Pentium 4 Northwood
    Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Chipset & Memory
    Northbridge Intel i875P rev. A2
    Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02

Graphic Interface AGP
    AGP Revision 3.0
    AGP Transfer Rate 8x
    AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled

Memory Type DDR
    Memory Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 200.4 MHz (1:1)
    CAS# Latency (tCL) 3.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 8 clocks
    Performance Mode enabled

Mainboard Vendor http://www.abit.com.tw/
    Mainboard Model IC7-MAX3(Intel i875P-ICH5)
    BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    BIOS Version 6.00 PG
    BIOS Date 11/01/2004

Memory SPD
    Module 1 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Corsair
    Module 2 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Corsair
    Software
    Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    DirectX Version 9.0c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try a cmos clear, move the jumper & remove the battery with power off. Then replace both jumper & battery, power on & load defaults in bios. Look up the manual to find out where the jumper is.

U try flashing to a newer bios, could sort out your probs as the bios your using is dated 11/01/2004

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Xander

Hi

Got the info to do a CMOS clear, and did that and removed the battery. Left it out for about an hour, and then put them back in - loaded the defaults in BIOs and then tried to put RAM in the first slot. Now the beeping noise has stopped but it doesn't load anything - the monitor turns itself off too - no signal coming from the graphics card. When the RAM is put back in slots 3/4 everything runs well.

Stumped, and beginning to think it's time to fork out the cash for a new m/b. *Sigh*

Advertisement