Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Poker Ipc Galway 2008 - Details

Options
  • 17-10-2007 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Have not heard much on Boards on this but as i love this event i said i would pop up the Press release . Any Reason why the advertising has not started for this event ??

GALWAY, Ireland -- (PRESS RELEASE) -- Pokerevents.ie is happy to announce preliminary details of the PartyPoker.com Irish Poker Championship 2008, to be held at the fabulous Radisson Hotel & Spa, Galway, Ireland, from Jan 3 to Jan 6, 2008. This is the first major tournament sponsorship in Ireland by PartyPoker.com and is Europe's first major tournament of 2008.

The €2,000 (9 percent withheld) buy-in is expected to attract 400 players from across Ireland, the UK, Europe and the United States and will be recorded for six hour-long broadcasts on RTÉ, Ireland's national broadcaster, and will be distributed internationally. Amongst the players who have indicated at this very early stage that they expect to attend include recent WSOP bracelet winner Ciaran O'Leary, Padraig Parkinson, Robert Williamson III and Bruno Fitoussi.

Pokerevents.ie, organisers of the three-year-old festival said, "This great value festival of poker attracts all levels of player from professional, to intermediate, to novice. It offers a deep-stacked, slow-structure game as well as an array of attractive side events. It is great to have a big sponsor on board."

"The venue is great, overlooking Galway Bay, and is sure to make for a fantastic weekend of quality poker and fun in a unique Irish atmosphere. Galway is easily accessible by road, rail, and air and has a unique culture of arts, music, literature, history and 'craic' and is perfectly suited as a location for Europe's most alluring boutique poker festival."

A PartyPoker.com spokesman said, "We're very pleased to sponsor this well established, highly regarded tournament and Ireland is a great country for poker with an amazing pedigree."

Over 500 qualifying satellites are being held in pubs and clubs across Ireland with dozens more starting from the sponsors in the near future online at Partypoker.com.

The schedule for the event is:

Thursday 3rd January 2008

* Super Satellite - €200 + €20 Friday 4th January 2008

* Main Event Day 1 - €2,000 (9 percent withheld) No Limit Hold'em Freezeout Saturday 5th January 2008

* Main Event Day 2 - €2,000

* Supporting Event - €800 + €80 No Limit Hold'em Freezeout Sunday 6th January 2008

* Main Event Day 3 - €2,000

* Supporting Event - €400 + €40 No Limit Hold'em Freezeout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Would love to try and satellite into this, but me 21st is on the 4th Jan, and I don't feel like being stuck in a room full of sweaty people all day on my 21st :D

Has there been any big name players playing in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

DEmeant0r wrote: »

yes I know for a fact that Flipper has played this event before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

nicnicnic wrote: »
    yes I know for a fact that Flipper has played this event before

LMAO:D

DEmeant0r wrote: »

To be fair they have had a super field in the past , Hendon Mob Parkie , Praz Banzi Soren Koonsgaard , brindley , Andy Black ,.etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah the more big name pros with lots of experience the better, i play better against better players..........or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Will this get 400 runners? Anyone have any idea of what the structure will be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

10k, hour clock, all levels like the last couple of years i assume.

I think the move to Galway along with all the much better structured games next year will affect numbers badly.

mdwexford wrote: »
    10k, hour clock, all levels like the last couple of years i assume.

Doesn't cut it for a 2k in this country at the mo I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Let's make Big Slick mod for tournament page. He is pretty much running it as it is.

I also agree with MD, I doubt they will get close to 400 this time around.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

cooker3 wrote: »
    Let's make Big Slick mod for tournament page. He is pretty much running it as it is.
    Doesn't mean he is doing it correctly though. I know this wasn't posted by PE staff so I'm not sure how to treat it, but there ain't much in the way of tourney info in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Doesn't cut it for a 2k in this country at the mo I'm afraid.

i suppose your right Lloyd bit like the way the EPT doesnt cut it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭gigetheman

Neil Kelly For Major Job:d

5starpool wrote: »
    Doesn't mean he is doing it correctly though. I know this wasn't posted by PE staff so I'm not sure how to treat it, but there ain't much in the way of tourney info in this thread.

Really just lookin for info and relaying some of it to be Honest as there is little movement on this on Boards and its unusual as i remember last year the thread was flooded .

Im not really postin it For P.E im sure they will start a thread

gigetheman wrote: »
    Neil Kelly For Major Job:d

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

5starpool wrote: »

It's not much different to when info on the irish open was first released, not all the information that is normally used when a tournament is advertised was mentioned but it was enough interest to post it, don't think this is any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

carrigeen wrote: »
    i suppose your right Lloyd bit like the way the EPT doesnt cut it ;)

i know u meant this tongue in cheek pat but i totally agree with what u say here. Its ridiculous what has happened this year in ireland imo.

Any tournaments i played in america had small starting stacks and long clocks which IMO is ten times better structure that millions of chips because it lends itself to more play at the important stage of the tournament, ie the finish.

But i suppose the proof is in the results, look at all the bracelets and big tournament wins the irish have;)

i know u meant this tongue in cheek pat but i totally agree with what u say here. Its ridiculous what has happened this year in ireland imo.

Any tournaments i played in america had small starting stacks and long clocks which IMO is ten times better structure that millions of chips because it lends itself to more play at the important stage of the tournament, ie the finish.

But i suppose the proof is in the results, look at all the bracelets and big tournament wins the irish have;)

Meh, I strongly disagree. Tournament structures are being elongated in the States aswell over the past 15 months. Think about the structures employed by the Venetian and Binions during the festivals they ran in tandem with the world series in July. In November, Turningstone are running a deepstack series where the minimum sructure is 10k. 40 mins for a $240 game. The ME will be 15k, 1hr levels, every level - like the Bigslick event over here.

I dont know what tournaments you are speaking of in America anyhow. If you are somehow trying to argue that 3k and 40 mins (with probably no 75 / 150 level) will have better play at the end than 15k and a 1hr clock let me just say that, while you are entitled to your perception, I respectfully disagree.

And the Irish didn't have many ****ing bracelets before 2007. Or EPT wins. Remember that the first 15k stack for an Irish tournament was LESS than one year ago - the GJP festival in november 2006. It will take a lot of time to see how an increase in structures as standard helps Irish players abroad. I don't see how it can hurt. But Irish results abroad probably won't change until attitudes on tour change (less boozing, more focus maybe).

Pat's comment is sharp - but the EPT isn't an "Irish" event. EPT Dublin would still run if a single Irish player didn't enter. And the market has now changed significantly since the last two Christmas IPC's. The market is no longe barren, it's flooded. Maybe I'm the only player with such a mindset - but I can't play everything; so I will play the tournamants that offer the best structue; best playabillity; most fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

I don't see anything wrong with Tournament organisers improving their structures and giving the players more value and game for their money, in fact I think it's fantastic...

There's still plenty of crapshoots out there if a player wants that type of game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

IMO games are getting stupidly long - 10k starting stack with 1 hr clock is about as much as i can handle. playing 3 days of poker before making the money is silly

"yep i got great value, stayed in smelly hotel for 3 days, missed work, and bubbled, it was great i got to listen to my ipod for 28 hours of play, in which i actively played 50 hands...."

even some of the 200/300 games in dublin are becomming 2 day events - you think i'm going to stay in dublin for 2 days for a 200 game?? that's +EV my arse

there isn't anything you cant prove at a poker table in 36 hours that you can't prove in 12 - actually the major difference is that it is structured for NITs with bundles of patience and restraint - it takes away the necessity to actually play poker to survive - sit there for 3 hours, get AA, hammer the sh1t outta it, hope it doesn't get outdrawn, and move on to the next big hand in an hour or two. Then when you are lucky enough to reach the last 4 tables, win a couple of races that you will have to take - bringing you to a crapshooty FT if your lucky

maybe if i was a single fella it would make a difference, i can't just p1ss off for 3/4 days for these tourneys willynilly, i have to carefully select 3/4 of them for the entire year

blah blah rant rant i'd rather a turbo game! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree with Lloyd, being mostly tourney player, I am looking forward to some of the events this year, being only out of college and not exactly loaded, value for money is high on my checklist.
    If I pay >€1000 I would be looking for a great event. This is now being offered. If I had to pick between a 10k stack with 2h levels and a 20k stack with 1h levels. I would go for the 10k, as due to the fact that blinds don't double every level (when all are used), the games is deeper at later stages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

bops wrote: »
    IMO games are getting stupidly long

the major difference is that it is structured for NITs with bundles of patience and restraint - it takes away the necessity to actually play poker to survive - sit there for 3 hours, get AA, hammer the sh1t outta it, hope it doesn't get outdrawn, and move on to the next big hand in an hour or two.

Bops this is the most sensible thing u have ever said;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Russh wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with Tournament organisers improving their structures and giving the players more value and game for their money, in fact I think it's fantastic...

There's still plenty of crapshoots out there if a player wants that type of game....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I'm with Richie and Bops on this on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

Flushdraw wrote: »
    I'm with Richie and Bops on this on this one

something is seriously wrong today :confused: - your the 3rd person to agree with me :)

i feel alot of love in this tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

I like deep stacked tournies - it gives better players plenty of time to accumilate chips and not have to gamble early as blinds are getting high.
    Let the cream rise to the top i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭gigetheman

i cant beleive im saying this but im with bops and richie on this one,(there comes the carrots) :eek:

well the first time I encountered over 10k in a decent buy in was last years GJP game. I thought at the time and still do that 15k and the 60 minute clock was a magic structure ( although I'd rather antes, a subjective preferance ). Bigslick followed this structure for there game the Waterford open and again a super structure was in place.

The macau then introduced a 75 minute clock with two added key levels for there 10k starting stack summer festival. This worked very well and the structure was every bit as good as the previous two mentioned events.

Now coming up we have the macau xmass 75 minute clock 15k stack. Next year JP and Bigslick have 20k stacks and 60 minute clocks while GJP have just announced the 50k starting stack game. While I'm against denouncing something without trying it I fear that the optimum structure may of been reached with last year games. I remember a conversation with Dathio at this years Waterford open where we were of the opinion that the event structure was borderline to slow and anything more would just be to much. While I hope to play the GJP JP and BS events next year I feel that line has been crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

nicnicnic wrote: »
    well the first time I encountered over 10k in a decent buy in was last years GJP game. I thought at the time and still do that 15k and the 60 minute clock was a magic structure ( although I'd rather antes, a subjective preferance ). Bigslick followed this structure for there game the Waterford open and again a super structure was in place.

The macau then introduced a 75 minute clock with two added key levels for there 10k starting stack summer festival. This worked very well and the structure was every bit as good as the previous two mentioned events.

Now coming up we have the macau xmass 75 minute clock 15k stack. Next year JP and Bigslick have 20k stacks and 60 minute clocks while GJP have just announced the 50k starting stack game. While I'm against denouncing something without trying it I fear that the optimum structure may of been reached with last year games. I remember a conversation with Dathio at this years Waterford open where we were of the opinion that the event structure was borderline to slow and anything more would just be to much. While I hope to play the GJP JP and BS events next year I feel that line has been crossed

well said.

• Advertisement

well said.

ty

any chance of a sponsorship deal with ppp now your at the helm.

congrats and gl with the new position

Advertisement