Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Poker Ipc Galway 2008 - Details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

bops wrote: »
    IMO games are getting stupidly long - 10k starting stack with 1 hr clock is about as much as i can handle. playing 3 days of poker before making the money is silly

"yep i got great value, stayed in smelly hotel for 3 days, missed work, and bubbled, it was great i got to listen to my ipod for 28 hours of play, in which i actively played 50 hands...."

there isn't anything you cant prove at a poker table in 36 hours that you can't prove in 12 - actually the major difference is that it is structured for NITs with bundles of patience and restraint - it takes away the necessity to actually play poker to survive - sit there for 3 hours, get AA, hammer the sh1t outta it, hope it doesn't get outdrawn, and move on to the next big hand in an hour or two. Then when you are lucky enough to reach the last 4 tables, win a couple of races that you will have to take - bringing you to a crapshooty FT if your lucky

Sigh. This is all rather silly. If you don't have patience, so what. I couldn't give a ****. Most good players do. Patience and discipline seems to be an important part of playing good poker.

But the bolded part is the really silly part. You may choose to NIT it up in this type of structure. But it is not a neccesity. The great thing about deep structures is that you have the room to play any game you like. You have the chips to put pressure on players playing too tight - room to take flops with a wider range early because of massive implied odds; room to float flops and turns and have chips behind to make plays on the river. Or, you can sit around and play a very tight range and lean on the structure. Like Mike said in his thread about the deepstack game - you can expect to see a wide variety of styles.

But talk about the fact that you just sit around and wait for the boots and win a few races on a crapshooty final table is utter nonesense IMO. I still dont understand the logic being espoused by Bops and Richie that more than 10k chips and 1hr levels produces a BETTER late structure than 15k+ and 1hr+ levels?????:confused::confused:

How does that work?

And finally Bops, this talk of "having to play poker to survive" is rubbish. What that translates as is "having to go all - in pre - flop or on the flop more". lol donkaments. I don't have much experience of playing tournaments in the southeast. But maybe you guys are good at shoving in preflop and winning races. Fine. But a structure that takes you all out of your comfort zone and forces you to adapt your game a little doesn't make it a bad structure.

Sure, for fecks sake, I'm a tournament donkey who plays turns and rivers badly - and I'm arguing for a structure that makes me much, much easier to beat. The better players are more likely to win a tournament with a more extended structure on a more consistent basis. I am clueless as to why good players want to get away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I don't have much experience of playing tournaments in the southeast. But maybe you guys are good at shoving in preflop and winning races. Fine. But a structure that takes you all out of your comfort zone and forces you to adapt your game a little doesn't make it a bad structure.

I think your forgot to say except for me Lloyd ;)

fwiw i agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I didnt see to many Dubs at the final table of this years Irish open and I mean final 9 not 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Sigh. This is all rather silly. If you don't have patience, so what. I couldn't give a ****. Most good players do. Patience and discipline seems to be an important part of playing good poker.

But the bolded part is the really silly part. You may choose to NIT it up in this type of structure. But it is not a neccesity. The great thing about deep structures is that you have the room to play any game you like. You have the chips to put pressure on players playing too tight - room to take flops with a wider range early because of massive implied odds; room to float flops and turns and have chips behind to make plays on the river. Or, you can sit around and play a very tight range and lean on the structure. Like Mike said in his thread about the deepstack game - you can expect to see a wide variety of styles.

But talk about the fact that you just sit around and wait for the boots and win a few races on a crapshooty final table is utter nonesense IMO. I still dont understand the logic being espoused by Bops and Richie that more than 10k chips and 1hr levels produces a BETTER late structure than 15k+ and 1hr+ levels?????:confused::confused:

How does that work?

And finally Bops, this talk of "having to play poker to survive" is rubbish. What that translates as is "having to go all - in pre - flop or on the flop more". lol donkaments. I don't have much experience of playing tournaments in the southeast. But maybe you guys are good at shoving in preflop and winning races. Fine. But a structure that takes you all out of your comfort zone and forces you to adapt your game a little doesn't make it a bad structure.

Sure, for fecks sake, I'm a tournament donkey who plays turns and rivers badly - and I'm arguing for a structure that makes me much, much easier to beat. The better players are more likely to win a tournament with a more extended structure on a more consistent basis. I am clueless as to why good players want to get away from that.

Lloyd your talkin tripe, you see things one way and thats it ill rip this apart later when i get a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

nicnicnic wrote: »
    well the first time I encountered over 10k in a decent buy in was last years GJP game. I thought at the time and still do that 15k and the 60 minute clock was a magic structure ( although I'd rather antes, a subjective preferance ). Bigslick followed this structure for there game the Waterford open and again a super structure was in place.

The macau then introduced a 75 minute clock with two added key levels for there 10k starting stack summer festival. This worked very well and the structure was every bit as good as the previous two mentioned events.

Now coming up we have the macau xmass 75 minute clock 15k stack. Next year JP and Bigslick have 20k stacks and 60 minute clocks while GJP have just announced the 50k starting stack game. While I'm against denouncing something without trying it I fear that the optimum structure may of been reached with last year games. I remember a conversation with Dathio at this years Waterford open where we were of the opinion that the event structure was borderline to slow and anything more would just be to much. While I hope to play the GJP JP and BS events next year I feel that line has been crossed

strongly agree

• Advertisement

I didnt see to many Dubs at the final table of this years Irish open and I mean final 9 not 6

There wasn't any? I didn't say the Irish Open had a great structure did I? Even yourself complained that there could have been more play late on? How does that invalidate my argument?

Lloyd your talkin tripe, you see things one way and thats it ill rip this apart later when i get a few minutes

And you see things your way and that's it!!!! You can "rip it apart" later. And then I'll counter it, and then eventually we will have to agree to disagree!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

lucky lloyd's proven super system on how to win a big tourney:

1) play like a donkey
    2) get shortstacked obv
    3) buy into side event
    4) shove @ every given oportunity
    5) win every race
    6) suckout
    7) lift trophy
    8) can now afford a razor

did i miss anything??

get back in your sh*thole box you call your house and never ever insult us good folk from the sunny south east again

ty that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

I aggree with Lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

I was agreeing with Llyod until his last long rant - I hope the structures aren't that long

• Advertisement

There wasn't any? I didn't say the Irish Open had a great structure did I? Even yourself complained that there could have been more play late on? How does that invalidate my argument?

I wasn't talking to you its just something I like to throw up now and again as It amuses me

1) play like a donkey
    2) get shortstacked obv
    3) buy into side event
    5) win every race
    6) suckout
    7) lift trophy

did i miss anything??

Yeah you missed something. I actually didn't suckout once in the ME AIPF from day two on!! I actually managed to get it in at least 70 / 30+ every time. And I won all :

A3 > Q3 AIPF
    KK > QQ AIPF
    AA > AK AIPF
    AA > Q10 AI on a 1063r flop
    A10 > Q10 AIPF (to knock a shortstack out)
    QQ > 99 AIPF
    AA > 88 AIPF
    77 > A5 AIPF (to knock a shortstack out)
    QQ > AQ AIPF

Now I will be the first to admit that was lucky. I never said I wasn't lucky in that event fwiw. And I didn't play like a donk on day one btw. I would have had a very workable stack if a good call with AQ after Andy Black had 3 bet overshoved on me preflop had held up against his A9. So ho hum, stfu, and call me lucky when you win one with more style and grace - which is definately quite possible to do.

And yeah, I won a lot of pots without showdown by 3 or 4 betting pre - flop without callers. Which is an important part of winning tournaments. Unusually, I didn't win any pure coinflips or have a huge suckout. But yeah, I ran real good in a different sort of way. And I have never claimed that I am a great player. Or that I outplayed everyone in that tournament. If someone can find somewhere where I said or wrote something along those lines please correct me.

EDIT: Btw, I didn't "win" in Drogheda. I chopped it with Liam and Brendan - and was arbitrarily declared the winner on the basis of having more chips when play ended.

The side event was a laugh. I sucked out a couple of times in that but it was largely irrelevant - and lasted 10 minutes.
    get back in your sh*thole box you call your house and never ever insult us good folk from the sunny south east again

Wtf with the childish insult? I like my house. :(

But what exactly has my win in Drogheda or whether I'm any good got to do with a debate over tournament structures?:confused:

I wasn't talking to you its just something I like to throw up now and again as It amuses me

Well there was no Waterford lads at either final table of the GJP festivals!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

1) play like a donkey
    2) get shortstacked obv
    3) buy into side event
    5) win every race
    6) suckout
    7) lift trophy

did i miss anything??

ty that is all

This is well out of order.

Well there was no Waterford lads at either final table of the GJP festivals!! :)

There was only one Waterford player between both events i missed the may one. there was millions of Dubs in the IO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JP Poker

And the market has now changed significantly since the last two Christmas IPC's. The market is no longe barren, it's flooded.

I think Lloyd has a point here. While i realy enjoyed the IPC'05 and i have to say i think it realy helped kick off the poker revolution in Ireland since than. Getting Ace's and King's craked early on left me shortstacked, Ace's again all in, cracked, good bye IPC.

Since than the market has indeed flooded, with great games on offer

Fitz 10k, 1hr, double levels as antes increase
    Macau 15k, 75 Min
    GJP 50k, 1hr
    BS 20k, 1hr
    PE 10k, 1hr
    Myself 25k, 90min
    Not sure what the SE's structure is but i'm sure it will be great.

As a tournie organiser i try (as does BS, GJP ect) to offer the best value, best structure ect for the players. Have we gone to far? Maybe.

Ultimately players will pick the games they feel most comfortable with.

If after all these games have been played players feel that PE was to short or indeed my game was to long i'm sure PE will listen to their customers and make changes to thier next event as i will.

Either way i'm looking forward to playing these next year.

There was only one Waterford player between both events i missed the may one. there was millions of Dubs in the IO

You are both clearly mistaken, us Leitrim boys are obviously the most superior poker county due to our stunnin victory and our reign as all ireland champs.

You are both clearly mistaken, us Leitrim boys are obviously the most superior poker county due to our stunnin victory and our reign as all ireland champs.

Cant argue there that Conor Smith is top class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

A3 > Q3 AIPF
    KK > QQ AIPF
    AA > AK AIPF
    AA > Q10 AI on a 1063r flop
    A10 > Q10 AIPF (to knock a shortstack out)
    QQ > 99 AIPF
    AA > 88 AIPF
    77 > A5 AIPF (to knock a shortstack out)
    QQ > AQ AIPF

No wonder you won - look at the sick run of cards you got and always getting someone with the 2nd best hand. I mean A3 vs Q3 what a sicko....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

Wtf with the childish insult? I like my house. :(

But what exactly has my win in Drogheda or whether I'm any good got to do with a debate over tournament structures?:confused:

lol lloydy i was only takin the mickey! - fair play to you for takin it the way you did :) and wp in the tourney etc

This is well out of order.
    I'd tell you to get back in your box, but we'd have a job stickin your big head in there - wouldn't we??

...how about get back in your ponsy barbie car instead - is it a soft-top?? :p

• Advertisement

...how about get back in your ponsy barbie car instead - is it a soft-top?? :p

Unforunately no, Im not sure even someone as handsome as I could pull that one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

The longer the tournaments, the more money I make for working them so the longer the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

cooker3 wrote: »
    The longer the tournaments, the more money I make for working them so the longer the better!
    It has a positive relationship with basic wage but a negative one with tips pro rata.
    Less hours = More p.h

It has a positive relationship with basic wage but a negative one with tips pro rata.
    Less hours = More p.h

This is true but I still take the lower rate per hour and the overall extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

cooker3 wrote: »
    This is true but I still take the lower rate per hour and the overall extra cash.
    time=money. work for a year for 10k or 6 months for 9K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

not sure who I agree with.

I was having a conversation recently about how big stacks are getting and how long clocks are going and the general view was we are reaching breaking point on it. personnally Im happy with 10k stack 1 hour blinds and dont find much differance if its 10k or 15k. I do think the way were going the games are going to get too boring (and to be honest that should suit my game).

Im going to play the Big slick , Macau , IPC and GJP between now and February and am curious to see which one I will enjoy the most. When I saw the GJP it really didnt appeal to me at all (tbh still doesnt) but fair fecks to the lads for trying somethng different, thats why Im going to play but my gut says starting with 1000 bb is just too many.

P

PS Llyod apologies wasnt trying to be sharp it just popped into my head and I thought it was funny .

carrigeen wrote: »
    PS Llyod apologies wasnt trying to be sharp it just popped into my head and I thought it was funny .

There was no offence taken!! :)

time=money. work for a year for 10k or 6 months for 9K?

Well in that situation I go for 6 months but in the situation of working 3 days and getting 800 to working 5 days and getting 1100 at the IPC etc then I will take latter.
    Anyway I enjoy working these tournaments so there is utility factor to them as well to take into account if you want start go all economics based on me. But it would sort of like me trying to calculate folding equity, wouldn't have a clue how to measure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

10k structure with a one hour clock has always been pretty standard in big buy in events & i have no objection to it , i know people want value for money nowadays but there is still plenty of play with a structure like this, looking forward to this event , think the only way il be playing it though is if i satellite into it , if not the main event - il be definitely playing one of the supporting events , regardless its gonna be a great few days , 1st time a big big tourney has been held in galway , bring it on :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

I agree but poker is also about gambling, we dont gamble totally because we feel like it we gamble out of neccessity. everytime you shove from the button into the blind you are partially gambling ok and educated gamble but still. I get the impression from you Lloyd that gambling is just not in your nature maybe im wrong you seem to look down on "gamblers"

this part i agree with well put

How does that work?

It works like this, The more chips you start with the longer you can survive in the tournament, yes, which means in the latter stages as the blinds rise there will be more players meaning the average stack in relation to the blinds will be less meaning slightly less play. You can say you make up for this with the more chips in play but it doesnt really work like this. You have more and more players hanging on for dear life meaning the big stack are not so big and there are loads of shortys hanging about

Poker is gambling, not totally gambling as i agree its more skill than gambling but playing short stack poker is a skill of nlh which requires a williness to gamble and i get the impression you just cant handle, ok none of us like playin ninja poker but its a part of the game, deal with it. You speak of comfort zones Lloyd well your comfort zone seem to be level 1 with gazillions of chips which leaves me wonderin, Has your game changed that much since GJP 1??

I just cant understand why this structure is good enough for the EPT but gets ripped apart on here.

Advertisement