Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baliffs and Police Summons

Options
  • 17-10-2007 5:27pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

I bought my house 3 years ago and the previous owners appear to owe a lot of money. I have debt collectors and treatening letters arrive at my house all the time. i have sent the agencies solicitors letters, copies of my deed of ownership - is there anything i can do to stop this happening?

they also still have their car registered to my house and appear to be speeding all over the country. again, i have contacted all the relavent stations, sent them copies of Deed of Ownership but i am still getting police turning up at my door at 10/11pm at night trying to serve papers on me

I have no idea what the neighbours must be thinking but what i really need to do is to stop the police arriving at my door, i have some family members serving overseas and everytime they appear at my door, i think the worst

can anyone help, please

thanks

IB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

go to your local station and ask to speak to a superintendant and explain the whole situation to him and ask that no more guards arrive at your address with any summons or warrant for any person not currently living there and then go to your local district court office and do the same there. inform them that the people mentioned in the warrants summonses etc no longer reside at your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Go and visit your local friendly Citizens' Advice Bureau. They can probably put you in touch with a cheap solicitor who can sort out the problem. At the moment, from what you've said, nobody seems to be doing what you expect them to do. The Guards must know that the previous owner has committed a criminal offence by not notifying the authorities re a change of address on his car. You would have thought that they could have nailed him by now.

I know it's a pain to have to pay someone to sort it out, especially when it's not your fault, but you might not have any choice. You might get some compensation for harassment, or whatever, at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

I had the same problem, was a nuisance - especially post and bailiffs from ACC Bank. What I was advised to do by my local Garda Station was to go into the Post Office Sorting Depot, and get them to return any letter addressed to the previous owner. So all post was re-directed at source. This seems to have done the trick, as this happened about two years ago now, and I haven't received any post since.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks guys, i have been to my local police station a few times about this but now the summons are coming from longford and cavan district courts, i have sent all of them a copy of deed of ownership

i might try my local police station again. the people i bought the house left everything behind and i had to get 11 skips to clear the house out, i not paying anymore money to sort out their problems, so a solicitor is out unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

irishbird wrote: »
    thanks guys, i have been to my local police station a few times about this but now the summons are coming from longford and cavan district courts, i have sent all of them a copy of deed of ownership

i might try my local police station again. the people i bought the house left everything behind and i had to get 11 skips to clear the house out, i not paying anymore money to sort out their problems, so a solicitor is out unfortunately

Don't pay and let them take to court than. If you are not obligated to pay its the bailiffs problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Write back to them and tell them you'll pursue them for harassment if they don't stop sending stuff to your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

contact your local td as this is surely a waste of garda resources delivering these summonses to your door? or pop them all back in the post as they arrive with "nolonger at this address" scribbled across the address and someone will eventually get the message

Advertisement