Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go? Im confused...

• 17-10-2007 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are a group of students (about 12 ppl) and most have been skiing/boarding once before. We are looking for something as cheap as possible, but with good snow, and a reasonably short journey from the airport. We are planning on going the last week in January.

Most of us were in Andorra last and have decided we are not making that bus journey again, especially as the snow was not very good. The long journey also rules out livigno. These seem to be the places that are recommended for groups.

I have had other suggestions for Poland, Slovakia, 3 Valleys....... The more I read about these places, the more confused I am getting. Anybody have any suggestions or advice on these places?

Thanks
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think you're ruling some good places out by not wanting a long transfer, it's just part and parcel of a skiing holiday. We're going to Les Deux Alpes in France in january, it's only a 2 and a bit hour transfer.

Livigno is also excellent - don't let the transfer put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

howfar is the livigno transfer. have heard good things about livigno, why is it so popular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

The transfer is 4 hours on the way, 3 on the way back (it's a about 4am).

It's great because the town is bustling and it's duty free. Good skiing for intermediates, almost guaranteed snow, reasonably good instruction.

I've been 3 times and am going for my 4th time in March (it is free though as the rents are paying for it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

tywy wrote: »
    The transfer is 4 hours on the way, 3 on the way back (it's a about 4am).

Yeah, but you're usually drunk and/or asleep on the way back!

FruitLover wrote: »
    Yeah, but you're usually drunk and/or asleep on the way back!

Exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Livigno is a good place to go. One of the more high altitude resorts so certain to have snow. Pistes kept in good nick, Lively friendly town. only complaint is the bus transfer. Why o why tour operators use bergamo/brescia (4hrs/5hrs) and don't use milan which is 2 hours away.

Isn't Bergamo a Milan airport? At least for Ryanair.

The airport that's closer is Innsbruck and supposedly Zurich is only about 2 hours away but the roads are closed in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Imo last year was just a freak winter with the lack of snow. There should be no worries this year about snow in the normal season (Jan to Mar). In fact I think some of the resorts in Austria are already open (normal resorts, not glaciers) as there is a wicked cold snap here at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Soll austria is perfect for the craic, good skiing - a huge ski area and short transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

tywy wrote: »
    The airport that's closer is Innsbruck and supposedly Zurich is only about 2 hours away but the roads are closed in the winter.

The transfer from Innsbruck is only about 20 minutes shorter than from Bergamo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement