Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Range Rover V8....

Options
  • 17-10-2007 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Bought a mental thing altogether, an 81 RRC with a 3.5 V8 running on twin SU carbs. Ran fine all the way home last night (40 miles-ish)....wouldn't start today. Batteries dead now.

Anyone know someone who would know what they're doing with an old Rover v8? I need to get her moving so I can put it into the workshop I've lined up to do a restoration on it.

Any recommendations/help appreciated.

Gil

PS: Stillorgan/Sandyford Ind. Est. area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Haven't got the faintest about Rover V8', but generally speaking, if it drove fine yesterday and today the battery is empty, you're looking at an electrical problem.

Either your battery is just ancient

Or your alternator isn't charging for whatever reason.

Or you got a short somehwere, draining power.

So if it's just a matter of getting it to the workshop, bung in a fully charged battery (possibly bring a spare one with you) and drive it there.

You can then investigate the exact reasons once your in the workshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Sorry, wasn't so clear about that....The battery died because I kept turning the engine over trying to get it to start.

I'm guessing it might be a fueling issue....Don't have my tools with me in Dublin....Frustrated as hell :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is there a manual choke on this machine, Do you know how to use it?

Yes, manual choke - I'm well up to speed on its use, as I've owned vintage LR's before, along with a few old Suzuki bikes. I'm thinking maybe fuel pump or a weak starter....or perhaps ignition electrics (points etc)....

Bleugh.

Okay, time to call the AA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    I'm guessing it might be a fueling issue....

Thats going to be an ongoing problem with a 3.5 V8 :D

Seriously though, best of luck with it - they're smashing pieces of machinery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It probably has an electric fuel pump and they're well known for sticking, being Lucas and all that, make sure you have enough power to turn it fast enough to fire it up. The engines are bomb proof enough but they must be the most fuel inefficient engine I've ever had, expect single figures on a bad day for your m.p.g. Great sound though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh I remember you now. Really hope you're more fortunate with this one.
    Got any pictures?

Okay - AA dude's just left. Looks like my new 550A heavy duty battery won't be enough. I'll be off to Halfords to pick up another one tomorrow to run it as a dual battery configuration - 1100 cold cranking amps ought to do it. That'll be modification number 1.

Then:

2. Full brake rebuild
    3. Full engine overhaul, new gasket kit and electronic ignition
    4. Webber x 2.....Suits you sir.
    5. Auto gearbox
    6. LPG

That'll keep me busy up to 2011, when she turns 30 years old. For her birthday, she'll get a new outfit - A Defender 110 body....Vintage V8 Defender, auto, disks all round, difflock etc. Why not.

I'm off to rob a bank....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm off to rob a bank....

You'll need to rob many many banks to keep it in fuel alone.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

6. LPG
    Whereabouts are you based? LPG is very hard to get these days, and it's not especially cheap either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I drive one of these beasts the odd time. Some machines, pig for pulling anything!

Sometimes she doesn't start on the damp mornings, its a bit hit and miss. I blame the moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Glad to see you're back on the road. I'd dare any Freelander/Defender (can't remember which) to sideswipe you in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The older Rover V8's used to suffer from poor distributor contacts. Some have a circuit board inside and the soldered joints give trouble !

Other than that I would suggest a back to basics approach. Check battery, battery connections, HT leads, Cap, Rotor, plugs,earth straps etc... and once you KNOW the ignition system is in good shape then look at the fuel system, of course Junky's advice, based on experience would be the first place to look ! !

Advertisement