Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with internet through switch

Options
  • 17-10-2007 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have 2 computers running vista, Ripwave broadband and a newlink 5 port switch. the problem is that i can only seem to get one computer commected to the internet at a time. When i ask windows to automatically get a new ip address the computer gets connected to the internet but about 30 seconds later the other one looses its connection. Im guessing there is some problem with the dhcp in the switch.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have 2 computers running vista, Ripwave broadband and a newlink 5 port switch. the problem is that i can only seem to get one computer commected to the internet at a time. When i ask windows to automatically get a new ip address the computer gets connected to the internet but about 30 seconds later the other one looses its connection. Im guessing there is some problem with the dhcp in the switch.
    Thanks

Is the Ripwave device a router as well or just a modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks
    From what I know Ripwave give a modem and not a router thus you will need a router to have more than one computer use the broadband at the same time (or else internet connection sharing but a router is far better).
    That switch does not give out IP addresses its only a (layer 2) switch.

If you want to buy a router I recommend a linksys wrt54 router or wrt54g if you are looking for a wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Best course of action is to enable internet connection sharing on the pc that can connect to the internet. This will serve as a gateway for your other machine when it wants to access the web. Theres a nice howto here that goes through the whole operation.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

bobmeaney wrote: »
    Best course of action is to enable internet connection sharing on the pc that can connect to the internet. This will serve as a gateway for your other machine when it wants to access the web. Theres a nice howto here that goes through the whole operation.

Hope this helps!
    But it means that the computer directly connected to the internet will always have to be left on in order for the other to have internet access and it will also need two network cards. I think you would be better off spending 60/70 euro on this instead.

Advertisement