Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major issues for Engineers

• 17-10-2007 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

ok.. so lets say that this is hypothetically speaking, and therefore not able to get me in trouble or fired...

I'd like to ask any professional engineers on the board what issues or opinions they have on how the government restricts or mishandles your sectors.

Consequently id like to know if you have any sugguestions as to how things could be improved?

realistic answers only please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

When you say the government restricts or mishandles engineering sectors, what do you mean by this? Can you give an example? hypothetical if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

when i first saw the title i thought this would be a question about ethics.

not sure what youre getting at tbh.

can you elabourate a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well what i mean is do you think that the government restricts engineers by any means?

unfair taxation? overbearing regulations? poorly written laws?

the biggest problem off my head is the outsourcing to other countries like china and india leading to a downfall in Irish manufacture. (obv this cannot be helped)

But this means that we can only retain chunks of industry by increasing our market in knowledge based areas like R&D. Perhaps companies would be encouraged if the government offered grants toward companies using Irish graduates for in house research?

anyone agree or have a different idea?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not sure what your getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

mawk wrote: »
    I'd like to ask any professional engineers on the board what issues or opinions they have on how the government restricts or mishandles your sectors.

How about the complete lack of regulation? anyone can call themselves an engineer in Ireland, the term has no legal standing, unlike other countries ( eg Canada ). If you do a few Microsoft IT exams you can call yourself an MCSE (Microsoft certified system engineer ) people who get this qualification are given a list of countries where they are not allowed use the term "engineer" in their title.

The same also applies to architects, anyone can open up an architect office in Ireland in the morning, and the truth be known a lot of houses / apartments are designed by technicians / draughts people...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

mawk wrote: »
    well what i mean is do you think that the government restricts engineers by any means?

the biggest problem off my head is the outsourcing to other countries like china and india leading to a downfall in Irish manufacture. (obv this cannot be helped)

Although its off the topic a bit, this can certainly be helped by rating products by their carbon footprint, and imposing duty accordingly. I think you'll find that all western manufactured products will far out-class any china goods in environmental terms in manufacturing and longevity. Any way just thought I'd say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

How about the complete lack of regulation? anyone can call themselves an engineer in Ireland, the term has no legal standing, unlike other countries ( eg Canada ). If you do a few Microsoft IT exams you can call yourself an MCSE (Microsoft certified system engineer ) people who get this qualification are given a list of countries where they are not allowed use the term "engineer" in their title.

The same also applies to architects, anyone can open up an architect office in Ireland in the morning, and the truth be known a lot of houses / apartments are designed by technicians / draughts people...

yes but dont you need to be recognised by a cerified body to be considered an engineer in Ireland? Such as Engineers Ireland which certifies irish engineers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

rejkin wrote: »
    yes but dont you need to be recognised by a cerified body to be considered an engineer in Ireland? Such as Engineers Ireland which certifies irish engineers

No there is no protection at all from anyone calling themselves an engineer.

Anybody can basically call themselves an engineer as there is no legislation protecting the title. As far as I know Engineers Ireland are working on it but have been hearing that for last couple of years, not sure what the current situation is on it.

Its ridiculus the title aint protected!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Try getting PI insurance for engineering if your not an actual engineer

thanks dub and chris, thats not something i thought of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Charter Engineer is a legally protected title AFAIK

Engineer should be, I agree with ye.

We do not benefit from any other legal sweetness - for example, you must have a solictor to buy a house - an accountant to do your books but you dont have to have an engineer/arch to design your house or supervise construction works. Dumb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

engineering encompasses a whole spectrum of fields, and as such the government has resoundly screwed up on every single field imo

roads- check

transport- check

hospitals - check

comms infrastructure- check

with primitive broadband on our little island of ireland, woeful roads, hospitals that resulted in a guy who broke a hand in tralee actuall dying, etc, the countrys politicians and leaders simply are way out of tune and are screwing all our hard earned tax money.

FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Dundhoone wrote: »
    Charter Engineer is a legally protected title AFAIK

Engineer should be, I agree with ye.

We do not benefit from any other legal sweetness - for example, you must have a solictor to buy a house - an accountant to do your books but you dont have to have an engineer/arch to design your house or supervise construction works. Dumb!

Yeah Chartered membership is protect i think, stupid that engineer aint protected as we have unique skills (like a doctor, accountant has theirs) so we should also have our well earned title protected

hey, thanks to everyone who sugguested stuff but im sorry to say.. the good people of the irish govenrment have decided that ,as a group, dentists deserve more attention than engineers.

i meant to write this last week but i totally forgot. Anyway, thanks for the
    help.

thread can probably be closed now,

Advertisement