Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Speed - Help / Advice needed?

Options
  • 17-10-2007 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Firstly my knowledge of all things related to
    Broadband isn't great so I'll my try best here:

I am an Eircom BB customer, I live about 30 mins from Dublin city in a busy residential area,I use a pretty new laptop
    and connect to the web via a Netopia 2247 wireless modem,
    I signed up for Eircom BB home starter which costs about €41 for 2 months
    and which promises 2MB downstream and 256k upstream along with 20GB download and unlimited upload per month.
    "Always on connection: delivers super fast speeds and the ability to work online without disruption."

However I tested my speed today using this site: http://www.speedtest.net/

and these were my figures: Download 882 kb/s Upload 86 kb/s
    which i think could be better.

I run antivirus software regularly enough and I am satisfied that I my pc is free of any dangerous viruses or spyware.
    According to the above site I have had upload speeds of over 1000 kb/s in the past.

Does anyone know if there is a way i can improve my internet speed or what reasons might be causing my connection to have slowed?

Thanks in advance:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

oddone wrote: »
    Firstly my knowledge of all things related to
    Broadband isn't great so I'll my try best here:

I am an Eircom BB customer, I live about 30 mins from Dublin city in a busy residential area,I use a pretty new laptop
    and connect to the web via a Netopia 2247 wireless modem,
    I signed up for Eircom BB home starter which costs about €41 for 2 months
    and which promises 2MB downstream and 256k upstream along with 20GB download and unlimited upload per month.
    "Always on connection: delivers super fast speeds and the ability to work online without disruption."

However I tested my speed today using this site: http://www.speedtest.net/

and these were my figures: Download 882 kb/s Upload 86 kb/s
    which i think could be better.

I run antivirus software regularly enough and I am satisfied that I my pc is free of any dangerous viruses or spyware.
    According to the above site I have had upload speeds of over 1000 kb/s in the past.

Does anyone know if there is a way i can improve my internet speed or what reasons might be causing my connection to have slowed?

Thanks in advance:

there are a couple of similar threads running at the moment and if you have a look at those you will see requests for further details - firstly are you connecting via wireless or ethernet (I presume wireless) It is better to do these measurements while on ethernet. What speed are you syncing at? (It looks as if you might be on the 1Mb prod from the figures you quote) What are your line stats? Does your laptop pickup any other networks nearby that could be interfering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gal_anonim

first of all try this website - it's eircom's one:

www.eircom.net/speedtest

just remember to use IE. plus it will give you 'official' information what your speed should be on which package.
    try clearing cache in IE (in IE window: tools --> internet options it will allow you to clear cookies, files and history).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

193709246.png

I got that and i live in wexford town and am on eircom broadband. Is that good?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

baraca wrote: »
    193709246.png

I got that and i live in wexford town and am on eircom broadband. Is that good?

Yep:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Happy days :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement