Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check my graphic's card

Options
  • 17-10-2007 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Trying to get Resi 4 up on my PC but it won't start for what I can only presume is my graphics card. How can you check what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager -> Display adaptors

But more importantly what error message do you get when starting the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

right click My Computer >Properties >Hardware Tab >Device Manager >Display adapters.

If this just gives you the name of the card but not the size, a quick google search of the name will tell you what you need to know

EDIT: DAM YOU SOFAKING!!! nice answer tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

A really strangely basic one, game. exe
    My card is an Intel 82945G which leaves me none the wiser about what it works with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Bubs101 wrote: »
    A really strangely basic one, game. exe
    My card is an Intel 82945G which leaves me none the wiser about what it works with

Pretty much feck all.

Welcome to onboard graphics, generally not supported by games.

It will be fine for older games on low settings, forget about playing anything remotely new.

Have a crash machine at work with the same intel chipset and it has an intel 950G onboard gfxs which is probably what you have.

You can get certain strategy games going on it: Dawn of War if you run it with lighting set to as low as possible, Civ4 will run.

What surprised me was COD4 managed to barely run on the lowest settings possible: looked mank and ran at about 15 frames a second but it ran!

If you want to play games it time to see what cheap dedicated gfx card will fit in your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Bit of a technophobe but money ain't too much of a problem right now (TBH, prefer to spend it now then lose it in the bookies later), any advice on what I could get or how to go about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.belarc.com

get the profiler on the free download run it and copy the text into a post here, tbh better in one of the tech forums but theres like 7 of them so let the mods here move to the one it most suits :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Bit of a technophobe but money ain't too much of a problem right now (TBH, prefer to spend it now then lose it in the bookies later), any advice on what I could get or how to go about it?
    Better ask in Tech>>Building & Upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yeah, it's best if you post you request there as there are plenty of knowledgeable folks willing to give advice. You should, however, give as much information on you system as possible when posting (Processor type and RAM, for example). This way people will be able to recommend a card that is suitable to your computers specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

start>run "dxdiag"
    Tells you next to everything about you comp, gives error messages and warnings, and lets you run some tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

How old is your pc? If it has the onboard graphics and its fairly old then you ill more then liekly have to get a new PC .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

If it's an intel onboard card chances are it's using shared resources. I/E it's probably reserved a portion of your ram. Intel have never made good gaming cards. I would suggest you invest in an ATI/nVidia for €200 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DamoBrad

download "Everest" from http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html which is a free professional system scanner for everything on and in ur pc..

its got lots of indepth diagnostics and its not hard to work wit... i use it all the time and its never failed.. it details everything rite down to the embedded serial code within devices...

thru this u can run a test and it dislpays hyperlinks to recommended sites for updates...

Advertisement