Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Rock 94.9

• 17-10-2007 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Anyone had a chance to listen to the temp station The Rock on 94.9 at the weekends?

Some decent music, sounds quite professional too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I presume this is a Dublin only station??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

dulpit wrote: »
    I presume this is a Dublin only station??

Not quite? It's for the "commuter belt", i.e. Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow.

It is a refreshing kind of station, playing nothing but rock music, in nearly all its forms. Many of the deejays involved have already cropped up on other temporary-licenced stations, particularly Premier FM and Choice FM.

The Rock is also very professional-sounding in its delivery. I'm very impressed with the station.

This is the second temporary-licenced station run by Kevin Brannigan, the other being Choice FM, which was an easy-listening station and had two runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

They do have a live stream on the website - www.therock.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why oh why can't stations like this ever set up in Cork?? Since freak fm died a few years ago, the airwaves have been the same bland rubbish... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Not quite? It's for the "commuter belt", i.e. Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow.

It is a refreshing kind of station, playing nothing but rock music, in nearly all its forms. Many of the deejays involved have already cropped up on other temporary-licenced stations, particularly Premier FM and Choice FM.

The Rock is also very professional-sounding in its delivery. I'm very impressed with the station.

This is the second temporary-licenced station run by Kevin Brannigan, the other being Choice FM, which was an easy-listening station and had two runs.

agreed - heard it for the first time last week, and have it locked on now - good old Classic Rock!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Many of the deejays involved have already cropped up on other temporary-licenced stations, particularly Premier FM and Choice FM.

If there's one thing I hate about the Temporary Licence thingy, its this carry on. "I'll give you a gig on my temporary station if you give me a gig on your temporary station". There's plenty of young and old talent trying to make that next step in broadcasting and valuable experience on a station such as The Rock is hard to get. I believe its time the BCI issued a warning to these groups setting up temporary stations not to be swapping or sharing airtime once they are on air. Its wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I heard it for the first time early today and it've been listening to it since. It's brilliant, i can't get enough of it. Whats the story with this temporary licence thing? How do they get a permanent one, or can they?

I hope to God they can and do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Same here. Liking what I hear so far and I've got it on all the time in the car. It's pretty much what I hoped Phantom would be after hearing we were getting a rock music station, not bland shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Its not like that bbability.

"I'll give you a gig on my temporary station if you give me a gig on your temporary station"

Thats not the case. For a start the owners of the temps have never worked on the other station. Infact you might say there are different view to levels of professionalism among them!

The heads of the 2 last temps would be perhaps two of the more open-minded chaps on the fringes of radio.

Any individual, anyway decent, could get a gig, after all there is no money involved.

All jobs were advertised on the radiowaves board, btw. If you are good enough these people will give you a break. The Rock is a good start for a would be jock/newsreader....

Did you apply ?

Nope I didn't apply for contractual reasons. I'm glad to hear there is a different approach to the Rock. Might I add that the playlist sounds good. Needs a bit more work however. Maybe less is more so to speak. Its just a wee bit close to phantom at certain parts of the broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Whoever was doing drivetime last Friday (Fri 26th) was a funny bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it on air? I've got it tuned on my internet radio but its dead air. and the studio don't look too busy either.

http://www.choicefm.ie/cam/cam.jpg?1194362473524

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    Is it on air? I've got it tuned on my internet radio but its dead air. and the studio don't look too busy either.

http://www.choicefm.ie/cam/cam.jpg?1194362473524

Mike.

Well yeah, but only at the weekends.

It's pretty good imo.

My dad thought Classic Hits 98FM was back on the air though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

DesF wrote: »
    My dad thought Classic Hits 98FM was back on the air though :p

Aye, now its the hairdressers station of the year*

*[not an actual award, you understand, but in its current guise, its not going to win PPI station of the year!]

What is the previous radio experience of the following people associated with The Rock:
    Gordon Hayden
    Tom Cole
    Brendan Flanagan
    David Hynes (apart from his stint on Premier FM.)

I am convinced you are writing a follow up to Peter Mulryans Radio Radio book, Declan!

Ok so you have the background to the other guys from that station from Radiowaves!

Gordon Hayden previously worked on Greystones Community Radio and currently works on Spin 1038 doing an hour long program called we love movies on Sundays. Think he also worked in Tv3.

Tom Cole (aka Smokey Towers) worked on one of Kev B's other stations back in the day - Kiss 103 from Whitehall Road in 1993/4. He then went on to do saturdays on Pulse 103 when it was in Ronans back garden in clontarf for a while before going off to work in Atlantic252. He's also a veteran club jock.

David Hynes was a DJ on 80s easy listening station KLAS (that also included David Baker and Bryan Lambert).

Brendan Flnnegan was also on Choice.

Mike - its only on Friday to Sunday as its a temp licence http://therock.ie/content_detail.php

Thanks for that, Slicklink. If I am writting such a book, it has to be the "Extreme Radio Annorak Trainspotting Edition"! Definitely would be of a minority interest! You're right though in that something has to be done with all the accumulated info on people's movements within radio. How about a radio annorak table quiz?

By the way, I would not be at all surprised if Kevin Brannigan is involved in a future permanent licence for over-35s - possibly like The Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Found this station last weekend and was wondering where it had dissapeared to so decided to check here. It's nice to have an alternative to phantom and I'd probably actually listen to it more than phantom if it were permanently on air. It also cater's for a different audience, i.e. there's more proper rock and less indie crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Same here. Liking what I hear so far and I've got it on all the time in the car. It's pretty much what I hoped Phantom would be after hearing we were getting a rock music station, not bland shite.

phantom was good at the start however they sold out to the crap they playin most of the time now

Jeez, Declan managed to get himself on the radio last Saturday.

Well its our last weekend..... this weekend coming.

Give it a listen........

The Rock stops on Sunday Night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

This is how I feel exactly.When I heard Phantom was going legit I thought it was going to be great, but it turned into a pile of poo.

After reading about theRock on this forum I tuned in and thought it was great. That's a lot coming from me because I don't listen to any stations that play music, so it's usually cd's or talk radio. What are the chances of The Rock getting a full license? It'll be a shame to see it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Anto McC wrote: »
    I heard it for the first time early today and it've been listening to it since. It's brilliant, i can't get enough of it. Whats the story with this temporary licence thing? How do they get a permanent one, or can they?

I hope to God they can and do.

seconded!

Its been my favourite of the 30 day radio broadcasts. Just wondering if they fall into the royalty-free bracket since they are on a temp licence or are they obliged to by a fee per play?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Kevin Branigan

Hi everyone, just stumbled accross this thread by accident. Many thanks for the kind words, we really had a great time running 949 The Rock and we got great support from everyone. It makes it all the better when people get behind us and support us like this.

Here's hoping we can get back on sometime.

Regards

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Problem with Phantom imo is they're gone mainstream now..too many ads, talking crap and repetitive playlist music...I dont know who they are aiming the music at...i listened when i was driving around in the work van but most of the morning is just book and film review gabble...and wayyy too little music...then i switched to Caroline..but now at weekends its The Rock for me..They play the music i want to hear and not the music i like to hear..if that makes sense.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I switch between The Rock and Phantom. The Rock is great, but they can also play a few ropey tunes. Although they should make that Focus song into their anthem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

People are talking about The Rock now in the same way they talked about Phantom before they got a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Quint wrote: »
    I switch between The Rock and Phantom. The Rock is great, but they can also play a few ropey tunes. Although they should make that Focus song into their anthem!

Do you mean Hocus Pocus, that - I think - Chris Barry played at around quarter to three yesterday afternoon? I couldn't believe it when it came on, 'cos most of the daytime stuff seems to comprise of Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, David Bowie and U2 on permanent rotation.

I would've texted him to commend his audacity for playing six minutes of yodelling Focus in the middle of the afternoon, but I was driving at the time. Without a doubt, it's the best thing I've heard them play during the day.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

Well done. Love the variety, too. When I'm in the US the "Classic Rock" stations seem to have the standards (Aerosmith, Journey, Led Zep etc...) on auto-repeat. Nothing wrong with any of 'em but there are only so many times you can hear "Sweet Home Alabama"

Nice surprise to find "Yes" in concert on NTL 511 (Rock On-Tv) last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

A station that plays Hocus Pocus? Wow. Imagine. Is there any truth that KB is getting ideas from Zenith Classic Rock?

(Only joking Kevin, :) well done for being brave enough to play that in daytime!)

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

hmm

has anyone actually managed to get it in wicklow?
    im having problems hearing it anywhere tbh

im in my car and different cars

I heard Hocus Pocus on the rock originally. So now I request it most weekends. Good song for listeners, if you're flicking through stations it will make you sit up ant take notice!

Was it you who asked Chris Barry to play it last Friday afternoon?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Yes, I did, we were all listening at work waiting for it! I requested it a few weeks ago on saturday too, but missed it cos I went to the pub. The DJ obviously said he's play it next week cos he didn't have it. Then next saturday I was listening at the same time and he played it! Legends! Actually, the guy on saturday nights at around the 9-11 times plays some unreal stuff

Quint wrote: »
    Legends! Actually, the guy on saturday nights at around the 9-11 times plays some unreal stuff

That'll be Pat James ,ex ARD then...The man responsible for getting U2 (remember them) into our radios but never got the credit..:eek:..
    Pats a big music fan, anything goes really , Zappa ,Beefheart, Clash, Joy division and the new stuff too...everything really..huge collection of music and knowledge....bit like wots his face.:rolleyes:..oh yeah Dave Fanning....only better....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

hmm

has anyone actually managed to get it in wicklow?
    im having problems hearing it anywhere tbh

im in my car and different cars

Did you try THE MIGHTY 1278khz AM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The "Mighty" 1278 dosent really cover Wicklow that well. In fact today all I could get on 1278 in Wicklow was some Gold station and the FM is non existent down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I listened breifly last night, the 48 kbps stream does the output no favours, nasty "wobbly metalic" aspect to the quatily esp on certain percussion sounds

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AllMetalKings

Hell yea.:cool: Just stumbeled onto it last weekend while flicking through the other shams for radio stations with their rave dave boom boom excuse for music. At long last we have a decent radio station to listen to while cruising in our vehicles. If only they'd apply for a permanent broadcasting licence. It'll give Phantom some competition. We'll miss it when it goes off air though. what'll fill the void then, Next weekend they're doing a countdown of the top heaviest metal EVER. Looking forward to that. If I hear of any other goings on I shall keep yee posted, Last thing I'll say though is if anyone does enjoy some decent rock then go onto a web site www.ir0ck109.com OR www.mhbradio.com which plays the heavier, darker side of metal, either one ROCKS!

Peas out:D

Hell yea.:cool: Just stumbeled onto it last weekend while flicking through the other shams for radio stations with their rave dave boom boom excuse for music. At long last we have a decent radio station to listen to while cruising in our vehicles. If only they'd apply for a permanent broadcasting licence. It'll give Phantom some competition. We'll miss it when it goes off air though. what'll fill the void then, Next weekend they're doing a countdown of the top heaviest metal EVER. Looking forward to that. If I hear of any other goings on I shall keep yee posted, Last thing I'll say though is if anyone does enjoy some decent rock then go onto a web site www.ir0ck109.com OR www.mhbradio.com which plays the heavier, darker side of metal, either one ROCKS!

Peas out:D

Actually, in a way they have got a permanent licence, or at least Bay Broadcasting, Kevin Brannigan's group,are part of a winning consortium for a classic rock licence. (Kevin Brannigan is the Chief Executive of 949 The Rock.)
    Nova100, which is what the consortium/station is calling itself, won the competition for this licence advertised by the BCI and are due to start broadcasting next year.

This happened prior to The Rock's current temporary licence run. Incidentally, The Rock had its first run last year and it certainly generated a lot of comment for a temporary licence.

Kevin Brannigan, who had previously secured temporary licences for easy-listening Choice FM, has the knack of securing the voluntary services of some people already established in radio. You may recognoise some of the following names involved in the current run of The Rock: Tommy Green, Enda Murphy, Matt Dempsey, Chris Barry, Gerry Wilson and Enda Caldwell. There are other names which will be familiar to temporary licence annoraks: Dara O Sullivan, aka Steve Davitt, Garv Rigby, Mike Ormond and Gavin Hayes. In an aside, I believe the first two lads from that list just mentioned, and probably one or two others referred to - Enda Caldwell I would say - , are involved with forthcoming Christmas FM.

As I have said in a previous post somewhere, The Rock certainly ticks most of the boxes. We definitely have a taster of what to expect from Nova100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Actually, in a way they have got a permanent licence, or at least Bay Broadcasting, Kevin Brannigan's group,are part of a winning consortium for a classic rock licence. (Kevin Brannigan is the Chief Executive of 949 The Rock.)
    Nova100, which is what the consortium/station is calling itself, won the competition for this licence advertised by the BCI and are due to start broadcasting next year.

This happened prior to The Rock's current temporary licence run. Incidentally, The Rock had its first run last year and it certainly generated a lot of comment for a temporary licence.

Kevin Brannigan, who had previously secured temporary licences for easy-listening Choice FM, has the knack of securing the voluntary services of some people already established in radio. You may recognoise some of the following names involved in the current run of The Rock: Tommy Green, Enda Murphy, Matt Dempsey, Chris Barry, Gerry Wilson and Enda Caldwell. There are other names which will be familiar to temporary licence annoraks: Dara O Sullivan, aka Steve Davitt, Garv Rigby, Mike Ormond and Gavin Hayes. In an aside, I believe the first two lads from that list just mentioned, and probably one or two others referred to - Enda Caldwell I would say - , are involved with forthcoming Christmas FM.

As I have said in a previous post somewhere, The Rock certainly ticks most of the boxes. We definitely have a taster of what to expect from Nova100.

Declan, I am well known all over the WORLD as the World's biggest anorak! - but you my good man, are the KING of all Anoraks!

(*I did not eat breakfast this morning I just had a coffee on 15/11/08 - just another little note for your detailed anorak log)

It is astounding the knowledge and memory you posess for Dublin radio in particular. You deserve an award and I have to say that many times your posts in particular have provided me with a lot of nostalgia for things that even I had forgotten about!!

Good on ya Declan A. Walsh - The Professor of anoraks!

Five great big gold stars for Tony Ainscough for showcasing the new Genesis box set on his show last night. I didn't hear what he played from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but to hear The Knife, The Musical Box, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight and - shock, horror - the colossal Supper's Ready (in its' entirety), was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Byrnezo

"We might be onto something here." O yes, yes you might! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

How do you all feel about The Rock - gone off FM since last night after its licence expired. I suspect it'll be missed . Tommy Green wasnt on this time I dont think

well done to all

radioland wrote: »
    How do you all feel about The Rock - gone off FM since last night after its licence expired. I suspect it'll be missed . Tommy Green wasnt on this time I dont think

well done to all

There will definitely be a bit of a void in the weekend schedule without The Rock, although I have Phantom to keep me company. We are missing a station, for the moment, that supplies a variety of types of rock, particularly the classic rock genre. Never fear, Nova100 should be on air for good by this time next year, and it will be all week long.

Couple of points:
    1. Tommy Green WAS involved again. He was on Friday mornings and I heard him - he's not shy about announcing his name!
    2. Why oh why did some individuals including Gavin Hayes keep saying that "The Rock" was the only station where you would hear rock at that moment in time? Had he not heard of Phantom? Maybe, he meant the only station that played that type or mix of rock.
    3. I heard the closedown of The Rock last night. Kevin Brannigan said that he did not know what time it was as the clocks were not working. This meant that it was after 12:30 when it closed down (instead of midnight). Brilliant!

Phantom......eek..:eek:......to me theyre trying too hard and coming up short....i'll be tuning into Caroline again through the sky box or the computer ...its not as good as the Rock but it'll fill in the time till next year.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

Sids Not wrote: »
    Phantom......eek..:eek:......to me theyre trying too hard and coming up short....i'll be tuning into Caroline again through the sky box or the computer ...its not as good as the Rock but it'll fill in the time till next year.....;)

Apols to all for my mistake Tommy Green was on The Rock. It would be interesting to hear what people think of the presenters. Personally I am glad that most of them didnt get in the way by announcing their names every 10 seconds. I did say most but not all.

Must admit I personally didnt like the pair that were on around 6 on Friday.

does anybody know when Nova starts hiring or are all the jobs spoken for with the Rock guys

radioland wrote: »
    Apols to all for my mistake Tommy Green was on The Rock. It would be interesting to hear what people think of the presenters. Personally I am glad that most of them didnt get in the way by announcing their names every 10 seconds. I did say most but not all.

Must admit I personally didnt like the pair that were on around 6 on Friday.

does anybody know when Nova starts hiring or are all the jobs spoken for with the Rock guys

The second licence for The Rock afforded Kevin the opportunity to tweak around with schedules and broadcasters. There is no guarantee that Nova100 will have many of the same voices. Some could have been on The Rock as a favour, some could have other weekday jobs that they do not want to give up and others may come into the frame who have the type of experience that Nova100 require.

That said I would think that anyone that did a good job on The Rock and who is interested should be in with a shout on Nova100.

I was never mad about these entertainment programmes where two people indulge in inane chatter. The Rock had a similar one with two other people in the previous run. Hopefully, this will not be a feature of the full-time classic rock station. As I said, now was the perfect time for tweaking ahead of the full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I was never mad about these entertainment programmes where two people indulge in inane chatter. The Rock had a similar one with two other people in the previous run. Hopefully, this will not be a feature of the full-time classic rock station. As I said, now was the perfect time for tweaking ahead of the full licence.

If they will have to comply with the ridiculous 20% rule, then "inane chatter" may be something you'll have to get used to.:mad:

Check out the webcam on The Rock......looks like someone forgot to switch things off before they left...or maybe they'll be back soon.....;);)

• Advertisement
Advertisement