Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Black Reg Plates

Options
  • 17-10-2007 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Anyone know the legality of black reg plates? and where can they be bought in south dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

legal on older cars only. as in really old ones! as in pre 1991

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Legally only the Army can have black plates on there Vehicles etc.. maybe older cars(classics)

Had 'em years ago, but now the gards will summons/fine you for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think once the car is pre 1991 you can have them

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Yeah if the car is a '90 or older you can, a few E30 owners have them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

More info with links to regulations, NCT rules etc in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Potluck

I make custom plates, i can do the black and chrome plates in standard size and a smaller plate of 12" by 3" both are not legal! (but they look good:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Black reg plates are only legal for pre-1987 (old style) Irish registrations, ZV (Vintage) registrations and ZZ (Temporary) registrations.

Irish Defence Force vehicles technically don't have to display any registration plates. However in practice they have always done so and generally use black plates for obvious (camoflague) reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anything after 1990 is required to have Euro Plates i.e EU flag on the leftmost section, white number plates as described by Silvera, and of course on the top of the number plate the county name as Gaeilge.

They won't fail you for not having the county name written in Irish anymore though!

Advertisement