Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just got my red DI Golf remapped...

Options
  • 17-10-2007 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

And Im amazed with the results. Was 130bhp now Im getting just over 175..
    Torque is amazing, really really amazing.

My buddy has an Altezza RS Beams (210-220bhp), and theres now very little difference in our acceleration..In fact I was pulling ahead until we slowed down (120kph on a motorway naturally) I just never thought It could make such a difference..

Has any1 else had any similiar experience? & where did they you get it done?
    I went to a place called chipped Ireland in Straffan near Naas..
    He does all the maps himself, and we were aple to watch him doing the work with the 3D Graphs, very cool & he was really sound to boot..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how much did it cost? Drove a Golf van that was chipped from 130 to 170 before, very good job, not sure how much strain it would put on the car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Did your motor insurance go up or down or no change?

Usually when you get a remap you're not insured... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

excuse the ignorance, but is this when they fit a new ECU or put a 'piggy-back' ECU in as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Does the company have a dyno?I've seen alot of people mention 40/50bhp increases from remaps on diesels that were plug and play and done in 5 minutes and im just wondering if there done on rolling roads or literal plug play pay off you pop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

Ryo Hazuki wrote: »
    And Im amazed with the results. Was 130bhp now Im getting just over 175..
    Torque is amazing, really really amazing.

My buddy has an Altezza RS Beams (210-220bhp), and theres now very little difference in our acceleration..In fact I was pulling ahead until we slowed down (120kph on a motorway naturally) I just never thought It could make such a difference..

He does all the maps himself, and we were aple to watch him doing the work with the 3D Graphs, very cool & he was really sound to boot..

Did they have a dyno BHP indicator, or who said its 175bhp. I have a golf gt tdi that was remapped in england before i bought it. Its over 150bhp , its not an original 150bhp. I have never gotten it tested to see what bhp it is, but i know it will stick beside any 2.0t petrol ....
    How much did the remapping cost?
    the one thing I will say is since i got it done I damaged the egr valve and blew the intercooler off the bottom of the car, the mechanic who fixed it explained to me that it was the remapping that done it, car just couldnt handle it. No im now mechanic so I dont know, but it coulndt be good in the long run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Didnt have dyno but we were looking at a lot of graphs & changing them, mainly upwards! He told me hes tried over 200bhp on the PD130 but it just isint good for them,tends to cause trouble, he normally just puts them to about 175. Fairly sure it wudnt be exactly 175 if i did put it on a dyno.
    Its not a plug and play system, you can buy those online from a dragon performance uk, and can be fitted in minutes.

Its not a new ECU, or a piggy back ecu, its described as a OBD Serial port remap. It involves changing the actual information on the current ECU. Apparently it gives better results?

He charged me 300, although had he had earlier stated it was going to be 375..
    I went into his workshop & there was a few PC's, but mostly an array of soldering equipment, so im assuming the does actual 'chip' work also. Prolly does repairs on ECU's also..

He drives a silver caddy van, 06' TDI, has it mapped to 160bhp, it has a DSG gear box = insane. i really cudnt believe how fast it is.. He was saying he annoys a lot of cars with it, monsterous take of speed, most amazing automatic box ive ever seen!

As regards insurance - I dont think that anyone is going bother checking if my ECU's data is different from what it normally is if I crash. Its not a concern to me at this time. And it shouldnt be to anyone! Just keep it quite!
    Im getting a 1.4 badge for mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

As regards insurance - I dont think that anyone is going bother checking if my ECU's data is different from what it normally is if I crash. Its not a concern to me at this time. And it shouldnt be to anyone! Just keep it quite!

If that's the case, yer insurance isnt worth the paper it's written on:rolleyes:
    To be honest, i would take that bit of yer post down aswel, i'm sure a lot of people that you might not want to see it surf these boards aswel, just a piece of advice;)
    Saying that tho, there are a lot of people that would put induction kits and exhaust pipes on their cars and say nothing to their insurance companies. Essentially the same thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Im not familiar with diesels or the concept of tuning them but id love to see actual rolling road results before and after a remap.Im not doubting the figures but i've seen piggybacks installed before but only ever on the dyno where its a contiuos "live" so to speak adjustment on the rolling road itself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Where's the peak power come in? Bet its down low in the rev range... you would smoke Altezza's at the lights, but the beams engine power is higher up so would overtake you as the speeds increased....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Got my BMW 320d done last year. Went from 150bhp, 330Nm to ~180BHP, 400Nm. The difference is savage. Wouldn't be without it.

Senna wrote: »
    excuse the ignorance, but is this when they fit a new ECU or put a 'piggy-back' ECU in as well?

No. An ECU Re-map is when they download the parameters from the ECU and re-configure them for a better output. One of the 'piggy back' units that you refer to is a 'plug and play' that max's the output of the fuel pump - to be avoided IMO

eireal wrote: »
    Does the company have a dyno?I've seen alot of people mention 40/50bhp increases from remaps on diesels that were plug and play and done in 5 minutes and im just wondering if there done on rolling roads or literal plug play pay off you pop?

They're guideline figures but I've seen test results on different fora and the results generally match the quoted figures. You can maybe subtract a couple of horsies for wear and tear on the car.
    Did they have a dyno BHP indicator, or who said its 175bhp. I have a golf gt tdi that was remapped in england before i bought it. Its over 150bhp , its not an original 150bhp. I have never gotten it tested to see what bhp it is, but i know it will stick beside any 2.0t petrol ....

I know that my car would be a fair bit quicker than a straight 2ltr.
    No im now mechanic so I dont know, but it coulndt be good in the long run!

Same as that but any research I've done doesn't lead me to believe there should be any adverse affect.

eireal wrote: »
    Im not familiar with diesels or the concept of tuning them but id love to see actual rolling road results before and after a remap.Im not doubting the figures but i've seen piggybacks installed before but only ever on the dyno where its a contiuos "live" so to speak adjustment on the rolling road itself

As above. Have a look here for some figures :)

http://www.chippedire.com/

I <3 multi-quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

I meant 2.0 litre turbo petrol. I might just go get mine checked to the what exactly was done to it. did you get your bmw obd remapped, i thought that was ecu remapping.
    I still think it cannot be good for the parts of the car, if your car is set to 90-100% as standard, remapping them to get the greatest output, must mean that other parts in the car are doing far more than their capacity....but mechanics know for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Bit silly saying stuff like this on a public forum, and it has been shown on boards and other forums in the past how easy it is to identify a poster ;)

I have a MK3 golf TDi (that I bought on adverts.ie :D), I installed a tuning box (proper one not the sh1te from ebay) declared it to my insurers (Hibernian) and it made no difference in the quote. The guy I was talking to said something along the lines that as long that the modification isn't too extreme (within a certain percentage) and is declared they have no problem with it.

I also upgraded the front breaks from solid 239mm to vented 280mm as I found that the original ones were not up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

How much did the remapping cost?
    the one thing I will say is since i got it done I damaged the egr valve and blew the intercooler off the bottom of the car, the mechanic who fixed it explained to me that it was the remapping that done it, car just couldnt handle it. No im now mechanic so I dont know, but it coulndt be good in the long run!

Any 2.0T? Doubt it would keep up with a gti/vrs/fr (200bhp) etc let alone a cupra (240) or an S3 (265) me thinks :rolleyes:

Didnt have dyno but we were looking at a lot of graphs & changing them, mainly upwards! He told me hes tried over 200bhp on the PD130 but it just isint good for them,tends to cause trouble, he normally just puts them to about 175. Fairly sure it wudnt be exactly 175 if i did put it on a dyno.
    Its not a plug and play system, you can buy those online from a dragon performance uk, and can be fitted in minutes.

Its not a new ECU, or a piggy back ecu, its described as a OBD Serial port remap. It involves changing the actual information on the current ECU. Apparently it gives better results?

He charged me 300, although had he had earlier stated it was going to be 375..
    I went into his workshop & there was a few PC's, but mostly an array of soldering equipment, so im assuming the does actual 'chip' work also. Prolly does repairs on ECU's also..

He drives a silver caddy van, 06' TDI, has it mapped to 160bhp, it has a DSG gear box = insane. i really cudnt believe how fast it is.. He was saying he annoys a lot of cars with it, monsterous take of speed, most amazing automatic box ive ever seen!

Re your insurance comment. If you have an accident do you think your insurance company wont check the ecu? They have started doing it in the UK and lets face it the insurance companies are not stupid, remapping is common knowledge these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My brother got his Alhambra chipped from 115bhp to around 150bhp. However if failed the NCT by 4 times over the emissions limit! He got the chip taken out and it passed the NCT with flying colours, so folks thinking of chipping it pre NCT should probably wait. The guy who fitted it, is getting onto Germany to see whats the score with this - it may be a once off.

The chip's are not the best option anyway Andrew. There is of course ways and means to reduce your emissions without drastic action required ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

omega man wrote: »
    Any 2.0T? Doubt it would keep up with a gti/vrs/fr (200bhp) etc let alone a cupra (240) or an S3 (265) me thinks :rolleyes:

I'd say it would have to be over 400 miles and would involve some hills. :D

I've a 2.0Tdi (unmodified) and can say that against a 2.0T (e.g. Gti) its neck and neck with mine having better in gear times, tried it yesterday was pulling away in third and fourth from the GTI anyway..

Saying that anything over lets say 180k/ph I say would be different.

I'd say it would have to be over 400 miles and would involve some hills. :D

I've a 2.0Tdi (unmodified) and can say that against a 2.0T (e.g. Gti) its neck and neck with mine having better in gear times, tried it yesterday was pulling away in third and fourth from the GTI anyway..

Saying that anything over lets say 180k/ph I say would be different.

Is that a 140HP or 170HP? I really doubt a 140 tdi would stay with a similar sized 200HP petrol T going all out.

let me explain what happened, there’s a left turn off a secondary road which leads on to a long straight to a set of round-about traffic lights at the top, after the lights your on to a slip road to the M50 motorway, anyway here I was coming onto this long straight and looked ahead and seen the lights go green at the top, "lets be havin ye" so into third push and into the left lane, notice a bright set of xenons coming around the corner behind me fast so more power engage fourth off we go "D 4 guy in the golf" isnt gaining at all if anything hes slipping behind. .. uhoh light on the top have been green for a little too long, damn knew it turning amber, I get through on amber "D4 GTI dude" not so lucky gets red.. but breaks the lights which would say to me he was going to fast.

Im on 140 bhp. But I think the pre owner has got it chipped, any way to find out.

As I said before if it was a case of going over 180, then i'd say it would be different.

^^ dont forget this was on a rolling start so advantage to the Tdi already.

• Advertisement

^^ dont forget this was on a rolling start so advantage to the Tdi already.

GTI guy must have been livid :D

skibum wrote: »
    Bit silly saying stuff like this on a public forum, and it has been shown on boards and other forums in the past how easy it is to identify a poster ;)

Lol let them identify me so. I'll be happy to answer these ridiculous allegations. Internet? What?

omega man wrote: »
    [/COLOR]
    Re your insurance comment. If you have an accident do you think your insurance company wont check the ecu? They have started doing it in the UK and lets face it the insurance companies are not stupid, remapping is common knowledge these days.

If i crash, and my ecu gets tested, I'll come back here and salute you for being 100% correct. Otherwise I ain't worried. Ive a seen remapped mk5 gti
    totally wrote off in suspicious circumstances and there was no check to be done. In theory any newish car can be remapped so that would mean checking every crash.. I dont think they are really bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Im thinking of getting the same done with my Golf TDI (pd130)- its and 03 with 100k on the clock. Would the remap likely introduce any reliability problems ?

Not in my opinion voxpop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I was just thinking that the extra power might put some components under a little extra strain (clutch,etc) and cause them to fail earlier. Considering the car has done a fair bit of mileage already - maybe this is not the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

let him do wot he wants its his car

100 k is nothing on the 130bhp just ran in. mate has it done on his ex taxi with 265k no probs

voxpop wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting the same done with my Golf TDI (pd130)- its and 03 with 100k on the clock. Would the remap likely introduce any reliability problems ?

Best thing you will ever do!
    The guy who was doing mine did say my mileage was high without a clutch change. So he did a little test - which basically consisted of 1. dipping the clutch while accelerating in 2nd gear (i cried just a bit for the car), and 2 spinning the wheels.

His conclusion: Whoever had it before me really drove it gently or it was a newish clutch, however theres nothing in the service history to suggest that.

Also im now getting a custom inter cooler system from allard in the uk!
    If anyone knows somewhere in ireland that does them let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If i crash, and my ecu gets tested, I'll come back here and salute you for being 100% correct. Otherwise I ain't worried. Ive a seen remapped mk5 gti
    totally wrote off in suspicious circumstances and there was no check to be done. In theory any newish car can be remapped so that would mean checking every crash.. I dont think they are really bothered.

Spent a few years working in the Insurance business, and yes they do bother, you're playing a dicey game, whats the harm in ringing up and hypothetically asking if there will be a difference on your premium with the increase HP.

Remember, insurance doesn't just cover you and your car....

Advertisement