Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody know......

Options
  • 17-10-2007 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

How much usage the Playstation 3 live requires on broadband ???

I mean , is it a heavy amount of downloading to play games online ?...

Many thanks,
    B-Hop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

A piece of string is exactly 2cm long (May not be true for all pieces of string).

In general, playing online involves the client (you) sending and receiving small packets from the host server. This tech used to work fine on dialup years ago and hasn't changed a whole lot. Of course, every game will have different characteristics but I would be surprised if any game required more than 25MBs up/down an hour. Voice chat will use more. Downloading custom maps will use more. Most of the data is already be on your disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

thanks a million,.......
    only , my friend is using my broadband connection for his online gaming , and now i get an email saying my download limit have been exceeded .
    its the first time ever i exceed my usage limit.... uo to 4g a day for some reason,......... but i havent been using it any more than i ever have in my last 5 years.

thats why i ask , as i'm baffled as to where the uploading/downloading is coming from !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I would think that the extra usage has come from him downloading extra content. Maybe extra maps or demos of other games,stuff like that. The gaming its self probably has not exceeded that cap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

thanks a million,.......
    only , my friend is using my broadband connection for his online gaming , and now i get an email saying my download limit have been exceeded .
    its the first time ever i exceed my usage limit.... uo to 4g a day for some reason,......... but i havent been using it any more than i ever have in my last 5 years.

thats why i ask , as i'm baffled as to where the uploading/downloading is coming from !!

Are you sure it is only being used for online gaming? How is it being used (by your friend) is wireless involved? Who is your isp?

well i gave him my modem , and he plugged it in in his house under my user name and it worked.

yeah,...he is using it to download games and demo's,..... but he's hooked on playing formula one gp 2007.
    it's dsl that im using, digiweb.

• Advertisement

well i gave him my modem , and he plugged it in in his house under my user name and it worked.

yeah,...he is using it to download games and demo's,..... but he's hooked on playing formula one gp 2007.
    it's dsl that im using, digiweb.

You are leaving something out here - it cannot work in his house unless he has dsl on the line and if he has then any downloads in his house should go on his account. Something doesn't add up here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have eircom DSL it I think uses the phone number / line identity and the user/pass doesn't much matter.

If you have bitstream resold DSL, I think the ISP can only know who you are by the username/loggin account on the PPPoE, which is why it uses PPPoE.

Still doesn't explain the modem working on someone elses line unless it's enabled for same Bitstream DSL ISP.

yeah he has broadband with some other crowd like "talk talk", i think ,.... only his modem was broken or settings got reset and it wasnt working .
    so he borrowed mine , plugged it in and hey presto.....

watty wrote: »
    If you have eircom DSL it I think uses the phone number / line identity and the user/pass doesn't much matter.

If you have bitstream resold DSL, I think the ISP can only know who you are by the username/loggin account on the PPPoE, which is why it uses PPPoE.

Still doesn't explain the modem working on someone elses line unless it's enabled for same Bitstream DSL ISP.

He is using digiweb ironically enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Talk talk don't do broadband in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's more to do with how eircom do bitstream. eircom has to change the exchange settings to transfer a line surely? I mean it would be nice for the ISPs if you could just supply a modem and account settings and it simply worked by pluging it in no matter who the line was enabled for, or even without asking to have the line enabled. :)

I've never had any involvement with DSL provisioning, but this sounds very wierd. Who really was the DSL line enabled for?

According to here http://talktalk.ie/ TalkTalk do supply dialup in Ireland.

My Theory
    Is it possible your friend had an ANALOGUE modem for dialup with TalkTalk and someone previously had Digiweb DSL in that number/house?

You could of course ring Digiweb support with BOTH addresses and phone numbers and your account number and the folks there can look stuff up.

The only stuff I can look up easily is via Google.

Advertisement