Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan shows his true colours...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Didn't Sponge Bob warn that the Dept had already over spent by xxxxMillion on that and that it would take more.

Maybe I can get a grant for solar panels to power communal self help WiFi fed by Satellite Internet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

People

Don't say that I did not explicitly warn you of precisely what would happen , and why :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Duiske_Lad wrote: »
    The Minister for Communications, Eamon Ryan, has re-allocated funds for the rollout of broadband to Sustainable Energy Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1017/broadband.html

useless shower of tossers those greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It's a fundamentally flawed idea. My guess is that it will be quietly shelved some time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

I suppose home energy should get slight preference... galls me though that BB is not taken seriously here.

Best keep an eye on them greens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I suppose home energy should get slight preference... galls me though that BB is not taken seriously here.

Best keep an eye on them greens.

Why, everyone has home heating and domestic heating isn't the largest contributor to global warming I imagine and I imagine its ranked quite far down compared to agriculture, industry and government. Why not start by getting industry to clean up its act or why don't the government act first and cut down on their energy usage?

If only the government hadn't spent all that money on power of one ads, there'd be money for the scheme.

BB is an absolute disaster and since we are supposedly aiming to have a knowledge based economy, it is crucial that everywhere have easy access to high speed broadband so we can raise kids who can get information easily off the Internet to help with their studies and so that business can be in areas other than Dublin.

How will everyone feel in their clean energy homes when there are no jobs in the country and the economy has collapsed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Energy efficiency will pay for itself in balance of trade, one hopes.
    TBH I'm more upset that it's going to take another 9 months to decide who is going to get the contract for BB. How long will it take to roll out then ?

Maybe they could just pass a law insisting that all new housing developments must have ducting to each house from a central point on the estate that any provider can use in the future. Maybe even suggest that all new schemes must include Cat5e or Fibre back to that (powered) cabinet and a connector in the house like a phone socket would be like.
    He said negotiations on the National Broadband Scheme were ongoing with four short listed companies and a final decision is expected by the middle of next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its important that everyone knows that no funds are available for 2008 or will be available for 2008

Some sort of hybrid cross departmental allocation is proposed for 2009

Its alos important to note that the map ...which appears to be shrinking its coverage area by the day .....will be revised extensively in the next 9 months to exclude further territories and reduce the scope of the scheme.

Regrettably the map now includes marginal 3g coverage areas and will continue to grow these .

Ryan has become slightly more open about his priorities ...which do not really include Broadband .

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Government+Commits+to+Increased+Spending+on+Energy+-+Communications+and+Natural+Resources+for+2008.htm
    Government Commits to Increased Spending on Energy - Communications and Natural Resources for 2008

“Broadband Roll-Out, Energy Programmes, National Seabed Survey and other important projects to continue in 2007”

Dublin, 18 October 2007

Minister Eamon Ryan today confirmed that under Phase 1 of the 2008 estimates process, the Department of Communications, Energy & Natural Resources will receive the necessary increases in funding to allow it to continue its existing programmes in 2008.

( the NBS is a NEW programme)

Policy initiatives involving increases for Departments generally, above and beyond the Pre-Budget Estimates “existing level of service” figures, will be set out in Budget 2008.

(pellets pellets pellets )

Commenting on the publication of the 2008 Pre-Budget Outlook and Pre-Budget Estimate by the Department of Finance Minister Ryan said,

“There is a widespread acknowledgement that the public finances will be facing into a period of reduced growth from next year, compared to that experienced over the past number of years. In the context of this I am delighted to say that I have secured an increase of nearly €3.5 million in current expenditure and more than €6.5 million in capital expenditure for the Department of Communications, Energy & Natural Resources in 2008 under Phase 1 of the 2008 Estimates Process.

(thats from his original 2007 budget which was spectacularly overrun by August. so its a big cutback, Big Bad Brian has had very strong words with Eamonn about this overrun)

In the Communications area this will mean the roll out of the new National Broadband Scheme, the continuation of the Metropolitan Area Network Programme and continued investment in innovation through the National Digital Research Centre and the Digital Hub Development Agency.

( this is a LIE Eamonn, not a penny will be spent by you on the NBS in 2008 , not a single penny ...)

Vital Energy programmes will continue such as the Greener Homes scheme, encouraging householders to switch to renewable energy heating and the House of Tomorrow Programme, promoting superior energy performing housing.

(pellets pellets pellets)

The funding will also enable the Department to continue to map the seabed around our coast. By the end of 2008, I expect a total of 8,000 sq km of seabed will have been mapped. This will be an invaluable aid in our search for Natural Resources off our coast and will also assist in the environmental monitoring of our coastal regions.

(we will allow the Celtic Explorer out of port )

In total, the Department will be receiving budgetary increases of nearly €10 million for 2008. This sustained investment in our key infrastructure and public services in Communications, Energy & Natural Resources will allow the Department to continue to develop a positive and supportive framework for the sectors under its remit while still providing value for money for the Irish taxpayer.”

Advertisement