Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Holy $hit!! hondas eh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

As Jeremy Clarkson once said:

'If Honda made man, no one would ever die.'

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thats why Im buying a Honda!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

thats just unreal, i wonder if half way through they had of put oil back in, it probably would have done another 100k miles:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Damn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Oh man , hondas are just so over rated and over hyped its annoying at this stage. (and I have a 1.8 VTEC myself)

I reckon any other toyota engine , nissan engine . V6, Chevy V8's even would have coped just aswell .

And R_H_C_P , thats a good reason as any to buy a honda :rolleyes: - so you can hockey the crap out of it with oil instead of water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Honda engines are brillant.

My next car is goign to be a Honda for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Oh man , hondas are just so over rated and over hyped its annoying at this stage. (and I have a 1.8 VTEC myself0
    You're just feelin sore cos you bought the one that looks like an old Rover!

JHMEG wrote: »
    You're just feelin sore cos you bought the one that looks like an old Rover!

LOL . Not Really .. I prefer that one to the "shmmaaaad out of it" white jap import sardine cans that you see about 100 a day of.

And you know I am right about my point - other engines would be able to cope just as well.

What exactly was that video meant to prove anyway? - WOW now im definitely getting a honda? Has nothing to do with engine performace, power delivery, responsiveness, smoothness etc .... and all other factor that make a good engine and driving enjoyable.

Dont get me wrong, they are great engines no doubt - but so waaaay over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If you really want over-rated buy a BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jayok wrote: »
    If you really want over-rated buy a BMW.

not liking the 325?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    not liking the 325?
    Jayok is one of the few qualified to comment on both!

@C_Breeze, in what way do you reckon Honda engines are over-rated?

Cyrus wrote: »
    not liking the 325?

No the 325 is fine. Nice engine, smooth, I really like the RWD. Different car to the Honda's that I've had of course, but for what it is I feel that BMWs in the public's eye are overrated.

As a now BMW owner, I meet other owners who are gobsmacked when I suggest that they are simply ok and not the "best car in the world". These hard-core BMWers when start to rant about performance, balance, engines, etc. But miss my point. As a car the BMW is wonderful, but there are equally wonderful, Honda's, Toyota's, Merc's, Fords, etc. no one single car brand has it all.

Re the Honda's for what the are they are very good at, but I wouldn't over-rate these either. If you was a 4-pot screamer, buy a Honda. If you want a smooth 6-cylinder get a 325. If you want a V10 monster, buy the M5. Horses for courses..

@C_Breeze, in what way do you reckon Honda engines are over-rated?

Too noisy, unrefined, too hard to get power out of ... you just really have to grab them by the scruff of the neck all the time to get power ... and then you have about 200 people staring at you and giving you dirty looks. - but some people like that.

..its no not so much the engines but the cars as a whole driving experience - it just not my cup of tea. Hence why im selling my civic.

I do a lot of motorway driving and believe me , the civic 1.8 VTEC and even my friends 1.8 SIR integra which i drove are not a patch on the old 323f V6 i used to drive ... even though that had 40 bhp less.

I currently have an MX3 V6 and its a muuch better drive than the VTI (to me anyway)

They new type R also got very bad reviews in NewCar magazine. I would take a golf GTI or 3 MPS over that anyday.

Over-rated in no way means that they are bad, - They are just not my prefference and people always make them out to be better than they actually are in an pre pubescent "OMG VTEC SMOKE ANYONE!!!!!" type of way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Since talking bout engines, check out this formula one engine being tested, the exhaust is brilliant. Some engineering involved for an exhaust to be able to withstand that heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyr5zE7Tets

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Am I supposed to be impressed with the original vid? From what I see its just some cars with the exhaust manifold removed!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kbannon wrote: »
    Am I supposed to be impressed with the original vid? From what I see its just some cars with the exhaust manifold removed!
    You have to watch the whole thing.;)

Too noisy, unrefined, too hard to get power out of ...
    But in what way are they over rated? No-one said they're smooth, no-one said they're refined. As for the VTEC smoke thing, well they are usually the best in class for power -- and therefore not over-rated -- eg how many 2.0 litre normally aspirated engines do 240bhp?

chris85 wrote: »
    Since talking bout engines, check out this formula one engine being tested
    That has to be the coolest way to needlessly burn ever diminishing fossil fuels!

If you want a V10 monster, buy the M5.
    Jeez an M5 does not qualify for that description. That has to be something that's actually cool: the Dodge Viper!
    2008_Dodge_Viper_SRT10_3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

I do a lot of motorway driving and believe me , the civic 1.8 VTEC and even my friends 1.8 SIR integra which i drove are not a patch on the old 323f V6 i used to drive ... even though that had 40 bhp less.

That your problem there man..... SIR Integra? drive the Type R DC2 or DC5 then form an opinion ;)

• Advertisement

Re the Honda's for what the are they are very good at, but I wouldn't over-rate these either. If you was a 4-pot screamer, buy a Honda. If you want a smooth 6-cylinder get a 325. If you want a V10 monster, buy the M5. Horses for courses..

Perfectly said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Wife has a Honda Legend 3.5 V6, kicks the sh*t out of all those boy racer civics every time. Hilarious stuff.

maoleary wrote: »
    Wife has a Honda Legend 3.5 V6, kicks the sh*t out of all those boy racer civics every time. Hilarious stuff.

Eh.. well i sure hope so, because thats a given considering the engine is twice as big. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Eh.. well i sure hope so, because thats a given considering the engine is twice as big. :rolleyes:

True, but its still cheaper to buy than their souped-up rubbish. The funny part is that the Legend doesn't look fast, so they usually get a shock.

Is that childish? :D

maoleary wrote: »
    Is that childish? :D

Maybe....

but probably a lot of fun i'd imagine :D

Jeez an M5 does not qualify for that description. That has to be something that's actually cool: the Dodge Viper!

You need to drive an M5 that V10 just roars. But I don't doubt the Viper is equally as cool.

You need to drive an M5 that V10 just roars. But I don't doubt the Viper is equally as cool.
    No sorry, M5 doesn't qualify to be a "monster". Afterall it is a family saloon! And unlike the Viper it can't set its own paintwork on fire (as demonstarted by Clarkson on Top Gear).

Even tho the engine is cool, can the M5 even be called cool even? Luxurious, fast, smooth etc.. but cool.. don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What about this for indestructability? Look at what they do to this poor E28 524td.

Its not just Honda that can make reliable engines. OKay, I admit its a diesel, and diesels in general can handle more abuse than a petrol, but still, it just goes to show what some engines are capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

E92 wrote: »
    What about this for indestructability? Look at what they do to this poor E28 524td.

Its not just Honda that can make reliable engines. OKay, I admit its a diesel, and diesels in general can handle more abuse than a petrol, but still, it just goes to show what some engines are capable of.

haha, the stanley blade on the timing belt was class.

Advertisement