Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue tooth for a helmet +/or intercom system?

• 18-10-2007 2:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭

I got a garmin 550 and need a blue tooth device for my helmet.
    Considering an intercom while Im at it.
    missing some VAT (Valuable Arguing Time) with the lass when she is a pillion.

Ive heard the spyball set might be good.

Anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Autocom Pro has a bluetooth setup as far as i know. But its probably more than what you need?

You can get one online or alternatively megabikes in dublin or maddocks in bray sell and install them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I use a scala rider headset which I find fine and was good value if you just want a bluetooth option on it's own. You'll find them quite cheap on eBay (I can dig up the eBay-er that sold me mine if you are interested).

There's also a "team set" that gives you intercom. I've not used that model but have used a set of bluetooth enabled helmets before and it's a very handy option, no wires trailing around obviously but also means always been in communication when the helmet is on, even when you get off the bike for some reason.

http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider_teamset/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Went to bike world and for three hundred thousand euros I can get these

I need a new lid as well, pref flip up type

http://ncom.nolan.it/Index_ENG.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Got my Scala Rider FM on eBay for around 100 euro..
    Just don't use it in heavy rain!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

worded wrote: »
    Went to bike world and for three hundred thousand euros I can get these

I need a new lid as well, pref flip up type

http://ncom.nolan.it/Index_ENG.aspx
    I can get you a price on Nolan, but dont want to shill here, lol. PM if its any use. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Anyone got a recommendation for a bike-to-bike intercom/radio set? Might be useful for a European trip a few of us are going on...

OP: don't mean to hijack the thread!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

colm_c wrote: »
    Anyone got a recommendation for a bike-to-bike intercom/radio set? Might be useful for a European trip a few of us are going on...

Autocom is one, but pricey. Acumen do one as well. You could try a web trawl for either of those.

Borrowed from another forum:

The Autocom is much better than the Scala teamset for passenger to passenger communication - I have found the Vox on the Scala needs a louder voice or shout to activate. The Autocom works with the Zumo but as I said the bluetooth dropped out now and again. I am nearly sure that the passenger does not hear the Zumo on the Scala but does on the Autocom. The Scala allows to receive and answer phonecalls whilst connected to the Garmin but the Autocom has problems with answering calls unless certain cables are used.

The Scala is handy because there are no cables but the Autocom cabled system is better quality . The Autocom can be connected to the bike power supply whilst the Scala needs to be recharged regularly depending on use.

If I was going on holiday with a pillion I would use the Autocom but for commuting and having a mobile phone connection I would prefer the Scala.

> Note from worded: Im getting this soon:

Its circa 160on ebay
    BUT was 359 euros in bike world in Dublin when I looked.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SCALA-TEAMSET-BLUETOOTH-MOTORCYCLE-INTERCOM-HEADSETS_W0QQitemZ150172595044QQihZ005QQcategoryZ122235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    colm_c wrote: »

Just remember, when using the Scala, if it rains heavily, remove the Bluetooth unit from the helmet and put it in a waterproof pocket. It isn't waterproof.

Scala not waterproof - real pity. Any way to make it a littel bit more water proof?

• Advertisement

Is autocom waterproof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Is autocom waterproof?

Email autocom and ask em. They are very helpful and will get back to ya quickly.

Autocom is 'technically' waterproof, as when properly fitted, it would have no bits exposed to the weather. The receiving unit should sit somewhere water-tight, e.g. I used to have mine under the seat, close to the battery.

The only thing that's exposed are the wires which come from the autocom unit to the helmet (usually with a watertight cable connection near the helmet). Speakers and Microphone (like Scala) are inside the helmet..

I used to have the autocom unit, but found it to be too much of a pain for my stop'n'go trips.. It would be a lot more useful on longer touring trips... The Scala is fantastic. I'm blown away by the quality of the radio, and phone conversations. It will be a bit of a pain in the a** to have to remove it shortly, when the real rain starts..

Here's what it says in the manual:
    IMPORTANT The scala-rider FM is a water-resistant device, designed
    for use under moderate rain and snow conditions. However, the
    headset is not waterproof and should not be used under severe
    weather conditions. The cover tongue protecting the charging jack
    should be kept tightly closed at all times to prevent moisture from
    entering the device.

Krusty: Who is you Scala ebay person may I enquire?
    I saw one on ebay but they wanted 50 sterling post to Ire! (a bit ott)

Krusty: Who is you Scala ebay person may I enquire?
    I saw one on ebay but they wanted 50 sterling post to Ire! (a bit ott)
    Bought from a US dealer. They were happy to mark it as a demo product, to avoid additional taxes. Here: http://stores.ebay.ie/Easy-Does-It

Shipping to Ireland is either $15 or $25. Good exchange rate at the moment too.
    It does have a US plug, but a simple adapter works fine.

Should come to about 118 euro, incl delivery for the teamset.

Are there voltage issues with this USA kit?

Krusty - Are you sure the voltage is ok in Ire?
    Did you just use a standard electric adapter?

No voltage issues... It's 110-240v.
    Checked the manual online before I bought it..

Standard adapter is fine.
    *Edit*: The manuals are here: http://www.cardowireless.com/support_and_registration/manuals.php
    Universal Travel charger 110/240V 50/60Hz

Almost tempted to get two sets its such a good deal. Cheers Krusty.

This was the place I got mine, from Portugal. No problems with the transaction at the time and seem to recall it arrived quick enough:

http://motors.search.ebay.ie/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ14780QQsassZworldwideQ2dsounds

Says eight pounds to here postage.

Krusty, my scala is in a rubber enclosure which is pretty rain proof - haven't had a rain related problem yet anyhow. Is yours the type that claims to be weather proof?

• Advertisement

Yep, think they're all the same Art.
    They say it's weather proof, as long as the weather doesn't include heavy rain. :confused: Light rain and snow are allegedly acceptable.

Here's a thread on a BMW forum about some units being B***xed up by rain.

Interesting, I'll watch out for that so - was over in Connemara for a week and got rained on a bit without problems but I guess you can be lucky or unlucky with this type of issue.

**** that. I've just noticed the microphone boom bit has fallen off!! Just picked up my helmet to look at the Cardo unit again and the boom is not there! Must have happened on the way to work. Guess the rain falling on the unit is less of an issue for me now ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neill004

Spyball Hello Biker unit is waterproof. Mine survived the heaviest rain I have ever experienced on a 550 mile trip in the US recently and the batteries lasted 10 hours of constant yap from the pillion. Unfortunately the Garmin takes over the channel and excludes the pillion ( not sure which is a disadvantage) but if you turn off the sound on the Garmin and give the pillion a job reading the instructions to you then you have a system that worked well for me. I could ask for repeats etc. without taking my eyes off the Interstate cowboys. This seems to be a Garmin problem as it doesn't happen with the TOM TOM. At all times with the Spyball each user still has Bluetooth with their own phones and mounts at the back of the helmet so no wind drag. Check with Liam Doyle in Motorcycle City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

For anyone interested, there's Autocom dealer in the UK selling units for half price at the moment:
    http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products.htm

What price are they?
    neill004 wrote: »
    Spyball Hello Biker unit is waterproof. Mine survived the heaviest rain I have ever experienced on a 550 mile trip in the US recently and the batteries lasted 10 hours of constant yap from the pillion. Unfortunately the Garmin takes over the channel and excludes the pillion ( not sure which is a disadvantage) but if you turn off the sound on the Garmin and give the pillion a job reading the instructions to you then you have a system that worked well for me. I could ask for repeats etc. without taking my eyes off the Interstate cowboys. This seems to be a Garmin problem as it doesn't happen with the TOM TOM. At all times with the Spyball each user still has Bluetooth with their own phones and mounts at the back of the helmet so no wind drag. Check with Liam Doyle in Motorcycle City.

Advertisement