Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

uk tour

• 18-10-2007 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of the Boardsies went across the water for any of the UK house shows,Harry Smith got some good exposure on some dates,coming to a tv near you soon perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

They blew it, he got a huge reaction after announcing himself as Davey Boy's son in a dark match after winning with a running powerslam in a pre raw dark match, They should have had the sense to debut him on smackdown after that..but no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

EdK wrote: »
    They blew it, he got a huge reaction after announcing himself as Davey Boy's son in a dark match after winning with a running powerslam in a pre raw dark match, They should have had the sense to debut him on smackdown after that..but no

Then they didn't blow it! He'll still get a massive pop once he debuts on TV, regardless of which brand he appears on.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Then they didn't blow it! He'll still get a massive pop once he debuts on TV, regardless of which brand he appears on.

VR!

I think he means they blew it in as far as having him debut in front of an English crowd would get him a bigger pop than an American crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

They have put up the whole match on wwe.com. It's a decent match.

amull87 wrote: »
    I think he means they blew it in as far as having him debut in front of an English crowd would get him a bigger pop than an American crowd.

That's still smart on their part, seeing as it was a dark match. Every English wrestling fan knows who Harry Smith is, they're hardly gonna boo him. Especially when Harry, unlike daddy dearest can actually wrestle! (Granted Davey Boy was good until the late 80s, after that he had to be carried).

Most people in the US know who he is too, he's gonna get a big pop regardless.
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Most people in the US know who he is too, he's gonna get a big pop regardless.

I think a sizable percentage of the people watching WWE today will have never heard of the British Bulldog.

I'd dispute that, especially in the US with the WWE 24/7 service showing all the stuff from the 80s. Both Davey Boy and Dynamite were exposed pretty heavily between 86-88.

VR!

I'd dispute that, especially in the US with the WWE 24/7 service showing all the stuff from the 80s. Both Davey Boy and Dynamite were exposed pretty heavily between 86-88.

. But out of the 5 million that watch Raw who has 24/7? I think they have 80000 subscribers or something like that but I'm open to correction. Whatever the actual number, its a tiny percentage to their overall viewership.

I'm not saying that a certain percentage would not react well to him. I think they would and will.

But I also believe a sizable portion of the audience would know nothing about his father.

The last time he was on tv was 7 years ago and in that time WWE while losing alot of its audience has gained a younger core of fans too who were still in diapers when he was at the tail end of his career.

I'd place a safe bet Davey Boy will be brought back on WWE programming, snippets and stuff and tributes. Especially if they're throwing a younger British Bulldog gimmick on him.

As for judging on recent programming. The same could be said for the likes of Jesse Ventura and Billy Graham. But everyone knew who they were at the respective Hall Of Fames.

Also Bret Hart, his last televised wrestling match was before Davey Boys. You think people won't know who he is?

VR!

Also Bret Hart, his last televised wrestling match was before Davey Boys. You think people won't know who he is?

I listened to a Bruce Mitchell audio show from 2 years or so ago where they were talking about the initial stages of the Shawn/Vince feud.

For those that remember the beginning of the feud, they played upon Montreal 1997 heavily. Vince went on a big long speel about it, how he could kick Brets ass etc... Shawn came out and said "Get over it". Thats how it all began.

Anyway they were commenting on how they could see from the crowds reaction and from looking at some of the faces in the crowd on screen that you could tell that many didn't know a thing about Montreal or Bret Hart. It meant nothing to them.

To bring it down another level, I started watching wrestling in 1990ish when I was 6. I loved Hulk Hogan in the same way kids love John Cena today. Now say Bob Backlund had a son and he debuted around that time. It would have meant nothing to me for the simple fact that I wasn't alive when his run happened. I would have had no emotional connection to him. He would have been just another guy.

And thats my point. New fans come into to wrestling year on year. And I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that a fair portion of the WWE audience would have no knowledge of the British Bulldog.

• Advertisement

Now say Bob Backlund had a son and he debuted around that time. It would have meant nothing to me for the simple fact that I wasn't alive when his run happened. I would have had no emotional connection to him. He would have been just another guy.

I'd have to agree with you there. I didn't know who the hell Bob Backlund was when he re-debuted in 1993. All i remember was that he was pushed heavily and broke Flair's previous Rumble record. However WWE did do a lot of video package footage to remind old timers and newer fans exactly who he was.
    And thats my point. New fans come into to wrestling year on year. And I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that a fair portion of the WWE audience would have no knowledge of the British Bulldog.

With Davey, given the stuff they did in the last 5 years with the Confidential special that they did on him. I'd say there will be more people who know of (maybe not necesessarily seen his matches) Davey Boy than you'd give credit for.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

With Davey, given the stuff they did in the last 5 years with the Confidential special that they did on him. I'd say there will be more people who know of (maybe not necesessarily seen his matches) Davey Boy than you'd give credit for.

I dunno really, I'd tend to agree with Vince on this. That Bulldog special aired before Cena had even debuted, and it's Cena who's brought in a lot of new fans to WWE. I don't think Confidential ever got amazing ratings either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Theres a link to a review of the match on the front page of WWE.com
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/babybulldog
    A few refs to Davey Boy and a link to watch the match, could be the start of a nice push for Harry

Advertisement