Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy Gel in Dublin for running

• 18-10-2007 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone know where you can you can buy energy gels in Dublin. I want to get used to using them on long runs.

Also, any advice on how best to use them? Should you always drinks water with them, or is ok to drink a flat Lucozade Sport type drink?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

You can get them in most reputable cycling shops in Dublin i.e Cycleways, Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght, Wheelworks in Clondalkin etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks Billyhead. Also, anywhere is city centre I can get them? like Great Outdoors, or Elverys (its funny how so few "sports shops" actually sell sports equipment...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

donaghs wrote: »
    Also, any advice on how best to use them? Should you always drinks water with them, or is ok to drink a flat Lucozade Sport type drink?
    I like Powerbar Powergel. I like the strawberry/banana flavour.

It says to take with ~400ml of water. I read some where (just can't remember where) that they should not be taken with a sports drink, but it didn't say why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

donaghs wrote: »
    Thanks Billyhead. Also, anywhere is city centre I can get them? like Great Outdoors, or Elverys (its funny how so few "sports shops" actually sell sports equipment...)
    Cycleways on Parnell Street has energy gels.

Thanks, sorry to be more specific! :) But is there anywhere on the south side of the city centre that would have them? I want to get them during lunch and probably wouldn't have time to make it over to the northside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

You can pick up Lucozade Energy Gels in most Boots chemists. PowerBar can be got from IrishFit.com - if you contact Sean directly through the website, you can pick them up from him in Blackrock.

They should only be taken with water, as taking them with Energy Drink or similar is a bad cocktail and can give nasty stomach cramps...not what you need on a long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Peckham wrote: »
    You can pick up Lucozade Energy Gels in most Boots chemists. PowerBar can be got from IrishFit.com - if you contact Sean directly through the website, you can pick them up from him in Blackrock.

They should only be taken with water, as taking them with Energy Drink or similar is a bad cocktail and can give nasty stomach cramps...not what you need on a long run!

Boots in the Green were doing a 3 for 2 on the lucozade gels last week

Thanks for advice. Boots in Stephens Green and Grafton St are sold out!

Other chemists also, some never heard of such a thing.

Just got onto Great Outdoors and they have Powergel. Will check this out.

You should try out the Lucozade Glucose sweets instead. I have been using these while training for the New York Marathon, and I find then very beneficial. You can get them in most chemcists. They come in packs of 14 and only cost me €1.20 per pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭depadz

billyhead,

do you use them instead of or aswell as gels?

• Advertisement

I use them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

how good or bad is it to use the lucosade gels and glucose tablets.

I was thinking of using both for the marathon, not at the same time but alternating them every few miles

Has anyone ever tried this or have any advice on this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FlyOver

Boots in the Jervis St Centre has a small selection of Gels and other supplements, on the ground floor to the left of the tills.

I don't think the gels are made to taste good. I use the Orange flavoured Lucozade Carbo Gels with plenty of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Monster Fan

Arnotts have carb gels & bars too in the running section.
    take with a few sips of water.
    i'd try them during the week and see if they settle ok before using them.
    Some have caffine in them and can perk you up if your flagging mentally.
    Dont forget jelly babies are grand too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maikrohsoft

Hi all,
    I've tried the new power bar gel which was great...much more fluid and not like a mouth full of honey. it is really a huge difference and more easy to drown it with some water.
    you can get those at great outdoors with a "faster energy delivery.." sign on it. just saw it in vanilla flavour but i'm sure that they'll have more flavours soon in the stores.
    maikrohsoft

Advertisement