Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The cost of manners

Options
  • 18-10-2007 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Driving into work this morning, I was sitting in traffic which merges from two lanes into one. Normally people are patient doing this, this guy in a 07 bmw wasnt having any of it. It came to the point where the two lanes become one and I was behind a small lorry, he insisted on cutting me off so he could get onto the M50 before me. Turns out he tried to do the same with a truck and got his bumper ripped off in the process.. Brought a smile to my face as I beeped him going by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The correct procedure for doing this is that traffic proceeds in two lanes up to the very point where the lanes merge. There you apply the "zip method" ...one car from the left lane, one from the right lane, one from the left ....and so on.

Traffic will keep moving and there is no need for arguments.

No need to squeeze in, no need to change lanes three miles before the merge and no need for excessive politeness either, letting people in before the point and blocking everybody else.

But try and make people understand that ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Everyone was doing the zip method as normal, when it came to my turn he barged in front of me. Maybe he has learned a lesson now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Everyone was doing the zip method as normal, when it came to my turn he barged in front of me. Maybe he has learned a lesson now.

I doubt it. :( Those kind never learn, they just become more determined to make sure they get in first next time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

At the tunnel in Cork every morning, coming from the East, you have 3 lanes. Middle and RHS are dual carriageway and the left is for the tunnel only and it's not a simple slip road- the 3 lane stretch lasts for maybe a km. PLenty of time to get in lane.

When the left lane breaks away from the D-C when taking the exit, it splits into 2 lanes- one for the Dublin road on RHS and one for the tunnel on the LHS. This tunnel-only lane splits into 2 again. In other words, if you're on the km long tunnel/ Dubling rd lane, you must still switch into the new left lane to take the tunnel. At this stage you can choose to use the tunnel in the RH lane or the LH lane.

What all the clever people do is fly past all the traffic queuing for the tunnel and fly down the Dublin lane and wait til the tunnel traffic splits into 2 lanes. This gap that appears as the tunnel traffic splits into 2 is used as a filtering point. Of course, the only place you can filter from is the Dublin lane.

It's a sight to behold when flying past on the DC in the overtaking lane to see a few dozen cars queuing in the slow lane of the DC and "filtering"/ blocking the Dublin lane while hopping into a small gap. You might fly past at the speed limit and there's half a dozen cars with there winker on, doing 5 or 10km/h on the dual carriageway looking for a place to get in. It boggles the mind.

This is the kind of place the OP's balooba would really shine. I will never understand why people allow them to filter here. The majority of people queuing properly seem happy to let these w*nkers in- over my dead body would I sit in traffic for 15 mins just to be there to let this w*nker in. I would feel mugged. Someone will be killed here before something will be done about it and the people who allow this practise to go on are just as responsible IMO.

Glad one of this d*ckheads finally got his comuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Not only was he trying to get ahead of everyone he now probably caused a traffic jam because his driving blocked everything up, what a tosser and probably its his first BMWw and giving a bad name to the rest of us. I don't car anymore who goes in front of me casue with traffic so bad lately we are all going nowhere fast, I just sit back turn up the sounds and chill, get enough stress in work and home without getting it on the road

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    At the tunnel in Cork every morning, coming from the East, you have 3 lanes. Middle and RHS are dual carriageway and the left is for the tunnel only and it's not a simple slip road- the 3 lane stretch lasts for maybe a km. PLenty of time to get in lane.

When the left lane breaks away from the D-C when taking the exit, it splits into 2 lanes- one for the Dublin road on RHS and one for the tunnel on the LHS. This tunnel-only lane splits into 2 again. In other words, if you're on the km long tunnel/ Dubling rd lane, you must still switch into the new left lane to take the tunnel. At this stage you can choose to use the tunnel in the RH lane or the LH lane.

What all the clever people do is fly past all the traffic queuing for the tunnel and fly down the Dublin lane and wait til the tunnel traffic splits into 2 lanes. This gap that appears as the tunnel traffic splits into 2 is used as a filtering point. Of course, the only place you can filter from is the Dublin lane.

It's a sight to behold when flying past on the DC in the overtaking lane to see a few dozen cars queuing in the slow lane of the DC and "filtering"/ blocking the Dublin lane while hopping into a small gap. You might fly past at the speed limit and there's half a dozen cars with there winker on, doing 5 or 10km/h on the dual carriageway looking for a place to get in. It boggles the mind.

This is the kind of place the OP's balooba would really shine. I will never understand why people allow them to filter here. The majority of people queuing properly seem happy to let these w*nkers in- over my dead body would I sit in traffic for 15 mins just to be there to let this w*nker in. I would feel mugged. Someone will be killed here before something will be done about it and the people who allow this practise to go on are just as responsible IMO.

God I'd love to be a traffic cop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

this guy in a 07 bmw

Explains everything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

cantdecide wrote: »

Glad to hear it doesn't just happen in Dublin. Easily one of the most infuriating acts of balooba-ism on the roads. They think you're les intelligent than they are by the way. <Balooba> Look at all those clowns queueing up, watch what I'm going to do here... *tilts baseball cap back to about 45 degrees - skips the queue and pities all the fools behind who are waiting in traffic* </Balooba>

On of these days someone is going to die, doing that on the southbound M11 Bray exit. Last time I beeped at someone blocking me off on the Bray exit (without warning they slammed on to try and catch a gap), the passenger and the driver both gave me the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

God I'd love to be a traffic cop!

so would i, especially with the muppets who use the bus lane from the kingswood interchange all the wat into town, that pisses me off.

I am thinking of installing some James Bond type rocket launchers to the front of my motor, I should have our roads clear of this filth by summer 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

they sell 'em in halfords:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

peasant wrote: »
    The correct procedure for doing this is that traffic proceeds in two lanes up to the very point where the lanes merge. There you apply the "zip method" ...one car from the left lane, one from the right lane, one from the left ....and so on.

It'd be nice, but it's not actually the law here. The law in the UK states that you use the slip road right up until the end then merge in turn as described above. The law here is that you have to leave someone merge safely from a slip road. How you interpret that is up to you........

In a similar vein, I heard of some prick in a Hilux who parked badly opposite another car, blocking the road out for an entire housing estate of probably 300 houses getting his assholemobile repeatedly vandalised by several people. Was considering doing the same to the Hilux that almost blocked us in at Pairc Ui Caoimh last Sunday. Is it just me or do a vast amount of 4x4s seem to be driven by ignorant, inconsiderate assholes?

Is it just me or do a vast amount of 4x4s seem to be driven by ignorant, inconsiderate assholes?

He..He..He...there is a thread on the motors forum on this very subject. Is has been "dead" for a bit now and most people for & against 4x4s have had their say. Not sure how the mods will take it if you open up that little can of worms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

NBar wrote: »
    I don't care anymore who goes in front of me cause with traffic so bad lately we are all going nowhere fast, I just sit back turn up the sounds and chill, get enough stress in work and home without getting it on the road

Totally agree with you. It's funny to sit back and watch the carry on of some people behind the wheel. On my jounery to/from work the difference in taking it easy and going for it for the whole journey would only save a couple on minutes. Not worth it for the hassle IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Beamer and Taxi drivers.
    I'll let anyone in except them.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

mathie wrote: »
    Beamer and Taxi drivers.
    I'll let anyone in except them.
    :)

Hey.... I'm a beamer driver :D
    Totally agree with you. It's funny to sit back and watch the carry on of some people behind the wheel. On my jounery to/from work the difference in taking it easy and going for it for the whole journey would only save a couple on minutes. Not worth it for the hassle IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

When it boils down to it, it's one car length and about 10-15 seconds in time, there are fools everywhere who do this.

I cross the eastlink sometimes up to 4 times a day, most evenings around 4.45/5pm, the zip method works a treat but you occasionally get the fools, the two nearside lanes merge to one so there's bedlam there, then the outside lane merges a 100 metres further on and the single lane still contains 2 lanes of cars but as was stated left car first, right car second, just pull back slightly to allow a gap and hopefully the guy in the car behind the guy beside you figures out the plan and generally when there's a tussle between a truck and a car, the truck will win every time so give them plenty of room and remember they may not see you if you're sitting there under their door unless they have the specific mirror for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

There you apply the "zip method" ...one car from the left lane, one from the right lane, one from the left ....and so on.

...............I drive a BMW taxi *............I always thought the method was let one from right THEN one from the left !!

So thats where I am going wrong !!!

* = Not really

:D

Hey.... I'm a beamer driver :D

Ill make an exception for you CMar ...... I'll beep and wave as I drive past after not letting you in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

On of these days someone is going to die, doing that on the southbound M11 Bray exit. Last time I beeped at someone blocking me off on the Bray exit (without warning they slammed on to try and catch a gap), the passenger and the driver both gave me the finger.

Yeah, I see it all the time on a couple of the Bray exits... I've had people cut right in on top of me at high speed at the south one, totally caught by surprise, but hey, that'll teach me to leave almost a car length between me and the next car. Next time I'll tailgate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Before the PC Brigade come along, I won't actually tailgate the next time...

Yeah, I see it all the time on a couple of the Bray exits... I've had people cut right in on top of me at high speed at the south one, totally caught by surprise, but hey, that'll teach me to leave almost a car length between me and the next car. Next time I'll tailgate ;)

The N11 southbound from the merge of the M50 to the first Bray exit is a disaster at rush hour.

Two lanes on the right backed up and the left lane near empty.

Then people 'nip in' to the middle lane before the exit for Bray.

I've seen some nuts driving there.

M

As a rule I never let anyone in front of me that cannot be bothered queuing up like the rest of us. I love to see people get caught by the garda for driving in bus lanes and then try to nip into the proper lane when they realise they are going to be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nearly crashed into someone queue jumping on the M50 before. Was near the N7 exit before the roadworks started. Queue of cars for the slip road, and me driving at 120kph in the mainline driving lane. Gap opens up near the front of the queue and some guy at the back decides to make a run for it, swinging out into the mainline traffic and forcing me to jam on my brakes, barely stopping in time. Dickwad just nips back in near the front of the queue, probably not even noticing what just happened.

Advertisement