Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for a Cheque to Clear

Options
  • 18-10-2007 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Just a couple of questions hope u guys can help me, thanks

I lodged a Bank of Ireland cheque, written by the Inland Revenue as a result of a tax refund, on Monday morning at 11am into my AIB account.

How long before I can expect to get my money? Does it make a difference if the cheque is from a Government department as opposed to a buisness, like in this case?

Can a cheque be cleared on a Sat morning, i.e. the money isnt there Fri morning but it might be there Sat morning, is that possible?

My 24 Banking a/c says the cash is already recieved and lodged, and notes the balance on my account as representing it inclusive of the cheque, but when I put my card into an ATM it says I have the balance minus the cheque and wont let me take out anything more then whats in my account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Can take up to 5 days but usually around 3. If you need it badly ring them and tell them to put the money in your account or you will close it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

kmick wrote: »
    Can take up to 5 days but usually around 3. If you need it badly ring them and tell them to put the money in your account or you will close it.

Im not sure if that will work in all honesty, I mean, have you had experience with this issue before and succeeded? I cant see where being all treatening would come in handy when it might show up tomorrow since this is the 4th working day (3rd night) since i lodged it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Threathening some poor sod in a bank branch is really likely to a) get them to do nothing for you and b) ensure no one does anything for you in future.

It sounds like that your cheque will probably be in the last stages of clearing as it is. I'd imagine it should be there tomorrow.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Years ago I requested that when a cheque is lodged into my account then the funds are added immediatley on the basis that the cheque will clear. Now I don't give a monkeys how long it takes to clear - I already have the cash!
    Im with AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

kmick wrote: »

And if you said that to me I'd be sending you out the form to do so.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i have an AIB account and last time i lodged a UB cheque at the counter - it took like 5 days to clear and paid!

Marty

Advertisement