Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving rented accommodation

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

i'm sure this has been asked loads of times but:

my friend signed a 12 month lease on a rented property last december. he now wishes to move by the end of november (1 month early from end of lease). if he gives 4 weeks notice to the landlord, does he get his deposit back or does he forfeit?

point to note is there is no damage etc to the property so landlord would have no reason to hold it for that reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

As he has been there for over 6 months, he has obliged to give close to 3 months notice I belief (someone correct me if I am wrong). However, if the landlord is decent enough, they should be able to come to some sort of compromise/agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

As he has been there for over 6 months, he has obliged to give close to 3 months notice I belief (someone correct me if I am wrong).
    If he's there for 6 months to a year, the notice period is 5 weeks (35 days).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

I've avoided this before. You just need to stop paying rent the last month, fob hte landlord off a bit. Then just move out in the dark of night at the end of the month. If you do things right he will never know where you have gone and will be unable to issue court proceedings.
    How do you know he won't track you down in years to come? He already has your PPSN which he needed to register the tenancy. Doesn't sound like a very honourable way to do business tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I've avoided this before. You just need to stop paying rent the last month, fob hte landlord off a bit. Then just move out in the dark of night at the end of the month. If you do things right he will never know where you have gone and will be unable to issue court proceedings.

It's people who do things like this that seriously piss me off!!!

I provide very good accomodation, at a high standard & I expect to receive the property back in a high standard.

I ask for a deposit so I have some bit of protection in case that doesn't be the case.

Then you have people who you've described above, come in, thrash the place & then don't pay the last months rent thinking they've the right to just walk away scot free leaving me to foot the bill to repair the place for the next person!!!!

Now, I know you didn't say anything about thrashing the place, & perhaps you were just pretecting yourself from a very grumpy landlord, who knows, but that attitude is seriously unfair on us who do provide a good service.

I have not yet ever hald back any deposit from any of my tenants. The place has been left reasonable, & therefore I'm happy.

I have also never penalised anyone for leaving early & I've always got a months notice, which is more than adequate I feel.

The deposit is only for peace of mind that I'm covered if I find something very nasty

And if you need a reference from a future landlord?

I am one of the decent ones out there, as owner occupier. I have had bad experiences with tenants (not locking doors when leaving etc), so am now slow to consider a prospective tenant without references. By the way, what do you do with the keys I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ethanb

firstly,
    a question do you need a reference from this landlord now or possibly in future?
    if not so be it follow timmymaggot advice dont pay last months rent and leave at end of month....
    but ..........beware this action will mean you have broken the terms of the lease and the landlord can issue YOU with a 7 day notice to quit, check the small print normally on page 1 of a standard lease,
    also who gave you references for this landlord? was one from an employer? if so he can go after them for monies outstanding which may have its own consequences!,
    Advice call and tell your landlord you need to quit property, remind him that its in perfect condition, and would it be easier for him for you just to cancel the direct debit(assuming that was how rent was paid) in lieu of him returning the deposit at end of month.also offer the property to be available for viewing during the remaining month for potential tenants . beware he is not legally obliged to return it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Maybe you do, but lots don't & it's because of that type of attitude!!

Go out on a mad bender, come back to the house for a party, wake up the next morning realising that lots of stuff has been damaged & just decide, ah well, no big deal, I'll just stop paying rent a month early.

hi boozybabe

couldnt say it better myself,
    tenants who think they are entitled to ehave this way "P*****" me off to
    Like yourself if the place is kept well, and returned in the same condition as they got it, their depost has always been returned subject to notice, conditdion and flexability regarding viewing of potential tenants.
    however just to make sure no bills are left(has happened in the past resulting in services being cut off) i would normally post date the cheque, to the end of the lease term, tenants have never had a problem

Thats why you need to pre-empt his messing about.

If you have done your work with an employers reference then it won't come back to haunt you. I always use a family business for this end of hte deal.

maybe read my message further down post date his returned deposit.
    re family business would not touch a prospective tenant that give me a work reference from a family business sorry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Timmymaggot- consider yourself on a warning.

S.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't be any the wiser, believe me.

my my timmy are you residing in an unregistered property?
    because for the past couple of years a little thing called the PRTB was established where your pps number is required along with a few other details so its not that hard to clarify that your work reference is in fact your place of work considering payslips/bank statements are also required now when taking up a lease for a min period of 6mths or more.
    you sound like the sort of tenant to go running to the PRTB if a light bulb needed repalcing in your property and the landlord told you where to put them , my my timmy god help your landlord.

what about a good straight up honest tenant? they themselves can contact the PRTB to "enquire" if the property they are residing in is registered . whic if you are claiming tax relief you are legally obliged to do. also just for future reference being registered is good for the tenant and landlord it brings the standard of property and conduct by both parties up to a higher standard and any disputes can be sorted out by an arbitrator at a very much reduced cost in comparision to going to court .
    some of us where there worn the t-shirt and still have it folded in the wardrobe so we know how tenant want to be treated all we ask is we are treated with the same repect

Do you have previous landlords you use when renting? I, based on past experience, will now look for a reference from a previous landlord, as a work reference only states you work there. For my own safeguard, I need to know that you would be an honourable tenant, as I am an honourable landlord (or is that lady :p).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement