Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Annual Dublin City Comic Con Nov 17th/18th

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

The management and staff of The 3rd Place Comic Book Store, Crow Street, Temple Bar are pleased to announce the second annual Dublin City Comic Convention. This year's con will be held in the Tara Towers Hotel on Dublin’s Merrion Road on November 17th and 18th.

The two day event will see Dublin play host to some of the comic world's finest talents. From guest of honour Jim Lee (artist on Batman, Superman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc) to comic book legends Mark Millar (writer on The Ultimates, Marvel Civil War, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Superman Red Son) and Steve McNiven (artist on Marvel Civil War, Marvel Knights 4), to fan favourites Doug Braithwaite (Artist on Justice, Universe X, Captain America, Doom Patrol) Ben Oliver (artist on Ultimate X-Men, The Authority, Judge Dredd), Michael Avon Oeming (writer on Omega Flight, artist on Powers), Jock (artist on The Losers, Judge Dredd, Faker and Green Arrow Year One), Carlos Pacheco (artist on Superman, J.S.A./J.L.A., Superman/Batman, Green Lantern, X-Men, Fantastic Four), Adi Granov (artist on Iron Man, Nova, Fantastic Four), Andy Diggle (writer on Batman, Swamp Thing, Adam Strange, The Losers, Hellblazer, Former E.I.C. of 2000A.D.), Liam Sharp (E.I.C. of Mam Tor Publishing, artist on Testament, Event Horizon, Death's Head, Incredible Hulk), CB Cebulski (writer on Spider-Man, X-Men, The Loners, Drain). Paul Cornell (writer on TV’s Doctor Who and Marvel Comics Wisdom), Irish artist Nick Roche (Transformers Spotlight : Kup, Transformers Spotlight : Shockwave), Irish artist Steve Mooney (Angel: Auld Lang Syne, C.S.I. Dying in the Gutters).

www.dublincitycomiccon.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

How about some ticket prices and locations to buy them in advance or is it door sales only?
    And do kids under 10 get in free? :) <- Hopeful smiley as I'm bringing 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I'm afaird it not kids under ten go free this year.
    But it is Kids under 12 go Free. So that should amuse you skinful.
    I believe the weekend ticket is €25. Not sure on the day yet. I'll find out and get back to you.

Also TC you forgot to mention Simon bisley and John McCrea will be joining our esteemed list of guests.
    And their shall be a Cosplay event Run by the Eirtakonfolks.
    And a Pub Quiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bryan philips

MarkHall wrote: »
    I'm afaird it not kids under ten go free this year.
    But it is Kids under 12 go Free. So that should amuse you skinful.
    I believe the weekend ticket is €25. Not sure on the day yet. I'll find out and get back to you.

Also TC you forgot to mention Simon bisley and John McCrea will be joining our esteemed list of guests.
    And their shall be a Cosplay event Run by the Eirtakonfolks.
    And a Pub Quiz.

I was really looking forward to this especially scince I missed Sub Con. But 25 Euro:eek: I know its a kick ass guest list but even still thats a lot of money!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

It's a WEEKEND ticket, it's for both days! Not exactly over priced when Sub Con was €10 in.

the Shades wrote: »
    It's a WEEKEND ticket, it's for both days! Not exactly over priced when Sub Con was €10 in.

I know its two days and like I said its a great list but everyone is entitled to their opinion and its a litte bit over priced for me.

• Advertisement

I know its two days and like I said its a great list but everyone is entitled to their opinion and its a litte bit over priced for me.
    That they are.
    But you appear confused.
    I was really looking forward to this especially scince I missed Sub Con. But 25 Euro:eek: I know its a kick ass guest list but even still thats a lot of money!
    Great day on Saturday well done! Wasn't sure what to expect but it seemed to go really well. Thought the talks were great especially Bryan Talbot and Steve Niles.
    Where you there or where you not?
    I mainly do gaming convention in Ireland and the weekend price for them are normally around the €25 mark. I don't see this as too bad.

Yeah sorry my mistake I meant Octocon! To many cons to keep track of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

25 quid for 2 days is nothing. A gig will set you back that (or more) for a couple of hours worth of entertainment.

http://www.dublincitycomiccon.com/

Looks like the site is up and running now. savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Excellent, looks really good, I cant wait for this one. Sub Con was ok but I felt it was a little too small and didnt have enough merchandise stalls and people who knew their comics. Most of the people I talked to where just helpers asked to go down and stand there, some of them knew very little about comics and just knew the prices. To be fair though, I did meet a handful of traders who certainly knew their stuff at the Sub Con convention.

• Advertisement

just a little Heads up on the pub quiz.
    It's Gona be Chaired by the captain of last years winning Team one Russell Hillman. It will start around 9 on the Saturday and be on in the hotel bar.
    Teams of 4(ish) cost €40

A whole host of wonderful Prizes on offer and it's gona be for a good cause.

We are happy to take team names and places trought out the day.

The charity that is being supported is Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children.

John talks about the con over on Fractal Matter.
    http://fractalmatter.com/main/?p=760

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=75010
    Some folks are organising teams and what not here.
    IF anyone looking to join a team or short a member might want to throw a voice out here.

Also in case you guys haven't heard Michael Avon Oeming has had to pull out for personal reasons. He is sorry about this and hopes to make it up at next years event.

Time table will Follow shortly.

Ok guys and gals, enjoy.

Here's the final schedule. Bear in mind that this can and probably deviate slightly here and there on the days but there's a lot for everyone each day.

Saturday.

Conservatory.

10 AM-1 PM Jim Lee.
    1PM-3PM Andy Diggle, Jock, Carlos Pacheco, Dougie Braitwaite.
    3PM-5PM Jim Lee.

Panel Room: this is also where artists will leave their portfolios for C.B.Cebulski to review later as part of Chesterquest.

11AM-12PM Getting into Comics Featuring C.B. Cebulski, Nick Roche,Steve Mooney and Steve Thompson.

1PM-2PM The Marvel Panel Part 1 featuring Mark Millar, Steve McNiven and Paul Cornell.
    2PM-3PM The Marvel Panel Part 2 featuring C.B. Cebulski, Adi Granov and Ben Oliver.

5PM-6PM Pint O’Joe presented on behalf of Joe Quesada by C.B. Cebulski.

Main Room Signing Area.

10AM-12:30PM Mark Millar and Steve McNiven.

1PM- 3:00PM Simon Bisley, Liam Sharp, John McCrea and Nick Roche.

5PM-6PM: Adi Granov and Mark Millar.

Hotel Restaurant.

9PM. Dublin City Comic Con Charity Table Quiz in aid of Our Lady's Hospital For Sick Children.

Sunday.

Conservatory.

10AM-1PM Jim Lee.

1PM-2PM Cos Play Costume Award.

2PM-4PM Jim Lee.

4:30-6PM Simon Bisley

Panel Room.

11AM-12PM. Irish Comics Panel presented by Padraig O'Mealoid Featuring, Bob Byrne, Alan Nolan, Gar Cummings, Declan Shalvey.

12:00-1:00PM Comics to Movies and TV Panel featuring Andy Diggle, Paul Cornell and Adi Granov.

1:30PM-2:30PM D.C. Comics Panel Part 1 Featuring Doug Braitwaite, Andy Diggle and Jock
    2:30PM-3:30PM D.C. Comics Panel Part 2 Featuring John McCrea, Carlos Pacheco and Liam Sharp.

3:45PM-4:30PM Chesterquest finalists call back. (Please note C.B. Cebulski will post a list of which artists he wishes to attend this, this is not an open event.

5PM-6PM Jim Lee Q and A.

Main Room Signing Area.

10AM-12PM. Andy Diggle and Liam Sharp.

10 AM-12:30PM Carlos Pacheco,Doug Braitwaite, Jock and John McCrea.

1:30PM-3PM Ben Oliver ,Steve McNiven, Adi Granov, C.B. Cebulski, Nick Roche, Steve Mooney and Stephen Thompson.

4PM-5PM There will be an opening signing session that the guests may avail of as this is the last hour that signings can take place. Odds are it'll all be happening in the bar.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmmm, just realised I hadn't posted on this at all. Good to see a final lineup for what's happening, though I'm going to be controversial here and say:

a) it confirms that not going is the right choice for me, since at best there's about 3 hours of panel that would be worth the travel for me, and
    b) I don't get why there was such secrecy about it since I don't see anything too unusual on the programme. (In no way do I mean to belittle the work put into getting all the guests over, etc; I'm referring more to the overall nature and theme of the panels).

Also, that interview with John made me LOL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 puchitsuki

Hey quick question,

I thought portfolio reviews were for everyone, such as that you'd get 5 minutes and a professional would tell you what to practice and such.

Why do we have to leave our portfolio's there and then only a select few get to talk to someone?

Is this separate from the actual portfolio reviews?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The portfolio review part of the Con is part of Chesterquest, so it's not a traditional portfolio review, more a talent-search contest for Marvel (and by the sound of what I've read on the site itself, not a million miles away from the Zuda idea).

Specifically quoting the submission guidelines:

"Please think of this as a contest, not a portfolio review session. I WILL NOT be taking the time to do personal, individual reviews of any work submitted to ChesterQuest. I will not be critiquing or commenting on anyone's art. That's just too much for one man to review and offer advice to each individual submission."

This was a blast, great turn out and some great small press tables littered around the place. Bob didnt turn up cause....hes bob. Lots of great deals on the traders tables too. I was beyond drunk last night and now im havin a duvet day

Anything of any particular interest come up in the panels? Also, any idea if there's info about what small press folk were there? (I know this'll make me some sort of fanboy heretic, but I'm really more interested in the small press stuff than in what Jim Lee was like when he was there)

• Advertisement

Small press folks consisted of the Phonogram boys, Gar cummins and his stuff Fail.
    Declan Shavley and Will slimey who are now one unit as far as I'm concerned.
    Will/dec or dec/will. Both got Chesterquest callbacks and I hope it goes well for them.
    A book by Nigel Flood Called Knocked up Nicky. Some nice art.
    And a few more I can't quite remember right now.
    We got over 25 enteries into the chesterquest thing. Around 11 call backs if memory serves. I'll see about getting a list of who they where.
    I know Steve thompson,Steve Mooney and Nick Roche where among them. A very nice Itialian girl and a French guy who where brilliant.

No idea about Panels as I was Busy whoosing around. I did love Andy Diggles Superman vs Dredd Idea. That was an great idea. I do hope he gets to do it someday. It'd be great.
    I feel Good about what went on. Any words good or bad on the con from those who attended are more than welcome. We'll see how we can improve it.

The Italian PageZero labs artist group all got Marvel try outs too including 11 Commandments artist Bruno Letiziza, afterwards they got drunker than any Italians have ever been.

Where they your italians? Man I never put that one together over the weekend.

Yeah one of em is Bruno from 11C and the others are part of his studio so we brought the whole lot over. They went home this morning. Great people. Cant drink though. :p
    :

There seems to have been a fair bit of drinking going on at the con, from what I saw on millarworld. Were there any other social activities after the table quiz on the friday, or was it focused around the session in the pub?

Social in Ireland means drinking. IE "Hes not very social" = "He doesnt really drink"
    Plenty of eating going on too, but some serious beering going on.

bombidol wrote: »
    Social in Ireland means drinking. IE "Hes not very social" = "He doesnt really drink"
    Plenty of eating going on too, but some serious beering going on.

I'm sure we could get you some sort of prize for coming out with that kind of crap, you know. Just because the pub is an unimaginative and easy thing to resort to when asked to arrange a social event of some sort doesn't mean that it's the limit of what you can do in Ireland.

I take it this means there wasn't anything other than drinking going on after the main events of the day were over. Must've been fun to be 10 years old there, then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

bombidol wrote: »
    Social in Ireland means drinking.

if thats true then that makes me very sad. Are we really that bad in this country? I usually don't pay any attention to those drink aware ads they keep playing at the cinema but maybe I should start.

I've plenty of friends who don't drink and are very out going. I've gone out and drunk loads and gone out and had water all night and its made no difference to how good a night I've had.

To be fair the drinking kicked in fairly late so no kids would have been there in the first place. The Con was over, guests can leave or they can have a drink and relax.

• Advertisement

Well, my point was more along the lines of "hey, it's a 2-day event at a hotel where people will quite possibly be staying overnight and one or more function rooms have already been booked - I wonder if they did anything with the rooms in the evening?"

The programme for both days seemed to be pretty full, but it seems something of a shame not to have had something like an Iron Artist challenge or a comic jam as public events. Perhaps I'm a minority here, but in my experience alternatives to the "1. Go to pub 2. Get smashed" option for an evening's entertainment rarely go down badly.

Advertisement