Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Annual Dublin City Comic Con Nov 17th/18th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

bombidol wrote: »
    To be fair the drinking kicked in fairly late so no kids would have been there in the first place. The Con was over, guests can leave or they can have a drink and relax.

this is not a comment about the con before we have a repeat of last time. Its a comment on general attitude of this country of people thinking you have to drink in order to have good night and worse yet people being so proud the next day and banging on about how much they managed to put away. We aren't the only ones, god knows I had a few of those nights when I lived in the states and in england but it just seems to be getting worse and worse here. Dublin city center has just become a nightmare at weekends.

And on the subject of kids not being there for the drinking, no your right they aren't usually around in pubs late at night but my boss took his 10 year old up sunday morning and I'm sure it was a delight to be greeted with a sea of hung over faces.

There definitely needs to be a rethink about the licensing laws in this country and quickly. ...rant over as I've totally wandered off the topic of comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Beleive it or not most people were reasonably good on saturday night cause they knew they were working the next day. I dont really agree on the licensing laws, people should be free to drink if they want. What I would like to see is more social places open to later at night. Arcades, Cinemas, pool halls etc. There are a lot of people who dont drink or dont drink that much.
    But anywhoo! I think everyone who came enjoyed themselves. There wasnt much cosplay at all which for ME was a good thing as I feckin hate it but im sure some people are into it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hey yeah, I meant to ask about how the COSplay thing went down, it seems to be turning into a huge part of cons in the US but I don't quite get it. Am I wrong in thinking that it's basically people turning up in costume and sort of milling around and chatting? I don't mean to belittle it, I just don't really understand the appeal. (At the same time, it's cool that the con catered to cosplayers).

Yeah the option was there for Cosplayers for sure, I just personally didnt see any, but to be fair I was pimping 11C for most of it so there could have been some. I fecking hate it myself,

I've been to a bunch of anime cons where cosplay was a major element and it was actually a bit of laugh - people don't just dress up they put on whole plays in the middle of the aisles. And some of the transformers cosplay have been amazing. But its something I think suits anime cons more then comic cons - Anime cons tend to focus more on the meet and greet fellow fans, theres screenings of fan made music videos and they are becoming more mixed with J-pop and J-rock so its very common now for those cons to have a musical guest and big dance session at some point over the weekend. I've friends who are massively into cosplay and will have parties the weeks leading up to anime cons where they will meet up and help each other make outfits.

We'll just skip over the whole furry con scene, went to one furry con - still have nightmares.

Major comic cons were I've seen cosplay at like hero con, wizard wold chicago and SDCC it really was just just people walking around dressed up - it can add some atmosphere but not really enough to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Cos play is more than dressing up. It's acting the role as well. It's having fun. I love cosplayers as they take time and care in thier work. My last cosplay was professor Chaos of South park fame. It was very enjoyable.

The cosplay event was a bit of a shame. On saturday we got interest from about 25 folks over the course of the day. It was free. I was shown at least seven potenial peoples outfits.
    I let the eirtakon folks know about it. They seemed happy. On Sunday I was called to the desk to sort out people here for the cosplay.
    There was about a dozen people. Guys there to watch and not one to participate. I can't tell you why. I really don't know why. It was odd. The eirtaku folks did wander the con for the day and pimp their own event. So it wasn't a total loss for them.

We had the quiz as the only after con event.
    The precon event was the Lifting of Large people by comic Professionals.
    Those there enjoyed both.
    Mostly it was the pros talking with Civilians and people being happy with that. I am in Awe of Andys superman/Dredd idea. It's so sweet.
    most of the hungover faces where on saturday. But even at that the pros got the lead out and delivered. The staff did what they needed to. Saturday was a pub quiz but it was claim. I didn't drink on sat/sun jsut to make sure things where good for folks. A few incidents got out of hand but they where sorted quickly.

Yes Ireland likes Drinking. Whoo! no news here. A lot of the folks who came where not from Ireland. And they too liked a drink. No news there.
    As a Barman I can't take anther drink is evil match.
    We will try to better our after events for next year. This is not meant as Sarky but it is on the list of things to do differnet this year. As it was most of the kids only turned up on the sunday afternoon. And I've yet to hear from someone that they had a bad time. Except for the guy who waited a half an hour to tell Millar he didn't like him or his work. I believe he still had his stuff signed. And enjoyed the con.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's good to hear you're thinking about after-con events - if you're planning to continue this year's format of a two-day con in a hotel, there are lots of possibilities to expand on the social side of things beyond the bar. The appeal of something like an Iron Artist contest is that it can be as interactive as you want, and can be organised as an event for kids to go to if their folks don't want them witnessing debauchery in the bar ;) Same thing with a comic jam, although the more interactive events depend on audience participation so there may or may not be much response. Nonetheless, given that people will tend to happily organise pub sessions for themselves if there isn't an "official" one, it's worth at least considering some alternative entertainment options, at least for the early part of the evening.

The non-response to the cosplay side of things sounds disappointing - while it's not my thing, it was something that I thought was cool to have included in the con as it added to the diversity of things, and cosplayers in general tend to contribute to the atmosphere of things (at least visually). I suppose if people don't want to do it you can't make them.

As for that guy who queued up just to tell Millar he didn't like him...that's genius of a very strange calibre :D Seriously, you have to love the nutters like that, they add that certain surreal touch. Weird.

Fysh wrote: »

As for that guy who queued up just to tell Millar he didn't like him...that's genius of a very strange calibre :D Seriously, you have to love the nutters like that, they add that certain surreal touch. Weird.

At MoCCA a couple of years ago my friend queued for Craig Thomspson just to hand him his copy of Blankets and say Thanks, didn't like it you can have it back. The expressions of everyone else in the queue was great.

Does anyone remember the con in Dublin a couple of years ago, round '99 [ah showing my age] Garth Ennis was there and the guy ahead of myself and my friend in the line walks up, hands him Dark night returns and says "draw me batman"

ztoical wrote: »
    At MoCCA a couple of years ago my friend queued for Craig Thomspson just to hand him his copy of Blankets and say Thanks, didn't like it you can have it back. The expressions of everyone else in the queue was great.

Does anyone remember the con in Dublin a couple of years ago, round '99 [ah showing my age] Garth Ennis was there and the guy ahead of myself and my friend in the line walks up, hands him Dark night returns and says "draw me batman"

I'd pay to see that. I told McCrea that Ennis has to come back home to write up to his old standard and he told me to **** off. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=75364&st=0&start=0
    Photos of the weekend can be found by sifting in this thread. Along with some odd stories.

• Advertisement
Advertisement