Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Mirage Timing Belt question

Options
  • 18-10-2007 10:33am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've a 4G15 version of this (1.5 dohc) and i'm getting a new timing belt fitted as it's at 188 thousand k. Garage think I also need a tensioner and a pulley. Does anyone know is this is needed when you change the belt?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Cant say specifically for this engine, although many different manufacturers recommend pulley and tensioner replacement when replacing the timing belt.

For the sake of the extra few quid, get it done. It will be a lot cheaper than an engine repair further down the line if your belt goes west.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Out of habit i'd replace the tensioner, pulley and water pump while i'm at it. Not expensive and nice to know they're fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Depends on the state of the tensioner but after that many miles its very likely that the tensioner needs replacing.

This is probably the second belt to go into the car, when the first belt went on it may not have had the tensioner changed if it was ok. but this time out I'd say putting the tensioner on is good idea.

Should cost another 50 euro or so, there wont be really an increase in labour costs as they already are in there fitting the belt.

Advertisement