Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Million Pixels ...muuHaHAha (evil laugh)

• 18-10-2007 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

ok, i want a 5 megapixel camera phone and there seem to be a few entering the market now to compete with the N95.

i dont have a problem between SE or Nokia as i have had both in the past but i tend to think SE's have better camera technology (maybe i'm wrong?)

anyhoo, these are the (only?) options:

Nokia N95
    SE K850i
    Samsung G600
    LG KU990

the only other real option i'd like is high speed internet access (maybe wifi?) should i be looking for HSDPA (or whatever its called) - whats the best technology for this?

i'm more concerned about shelling out a lot of money and then needing an upgrade in 12months. i want a future proof phone that will last me at least 2/3 years.

anybody got any opinions on these phones?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think the k850 is meant to be a let down. It doesn't have wifi and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have hsdpa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

jimmychin wrote: »
    ok, i want a 5 megapixel camera phone and there seem to be a few entering the market now to compete with the N95.

i dont have a problem between SE or Nokia as i have had both in the past but i tend to think SE's have better camera technology (maybe i'm wrong?)

anyhoo, these are the (only?) options:

Nokia N95
    SE K850i
    Samsung G600
    LG KU990

the only other real option i'd like is high speed internet access (maybe wifi?) should i be looking for HSDPA (or whatever its called) - whats the best technology for this?

i'm more concerned about shelling out a lot of money and then needing an upgrade in 12months. i want a future proof phone that will last me at least 2/3 years.

anybody got any opinions on these phones?

thanks in advance

Basically depends what kind of phone your after. If your after a regular sized mobile phone that packs a good quality camera with a proper flash then go with the k850i.

The N95 is a smart phone with a touch screen with wifi and gps and the kitchen sink in there but as a consequence its quite bulky.

They're aimed at two different types of consumer, you just have to decide which your closest to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

The K850i does have HSDPA, cant wait till it comes out on O2.
    The new keypad on it looks class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

neilled wrote: »
    The N95 is a smart phone with a touch screen with wifi and gps and the kitchen sink in there but as a consequence its quite bulky. ......

Does the N95 have a touch screen?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

slayerking wrote: »
    Nope

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

5 mp with a sensor that big will just reduce the image quality, and increase file sizes

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Cameras are not all about pixels, I have yet to see good quality photos from a camera phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

slayerking wrote: »

It is also no more bulky than a K850. Neilled, do you have either phone?!:confused:

I thought the N95 is pretty bulky compared to the K850i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

I have tested the K850i for a few days and I was disappointed with the camera. The quality was not what I had expected but I was told that the final production version will be better. I certainly think the N95 produces better photos. If you want to see a comparison between the K850i and the N95 have a look at this:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k850-cam-en.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

5 mp with a sensor that big will just reduce the image quality, and increase file sizes

nice. liked that article, made me think a bit more

interesting responses aswell...

i had a k750i (broken screen now) and i thought the images from that were fair enough (not great but i'm not a professional photographer or anything, i just like taking snaps all the time)

so i want to get rid of my old samsung 5MP digital camera so i can get the 'same' quality picture from my phone.

along the same lines i like the idea of carrying one device - phone, camera, video recorder, voice recorder, mp3 player, radio and internet (not too bothered about GPS... for now).

all the phones i mention do this but i think its the camera/video recorder that will be the deal breaker.

maybe i only need to look as far as the k800i for value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Quoting Ken? :eek:

But in this case he is right - quality of pixels rather than quantity! Most camera phones probably just need 3.2mp - give me better ISO/optical zoom over more pixels any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

billbond4 wrote: »
    The new keypad on it looks class
    It's a bitch to use - I really didn't like the feel of it at all when I got a chance to use it for 30 mins or so.

jimmychin wrote: »
    so i want to get rid of my old samsung 5MP digital camera so i can get the 'same' quality picture from my phone...

With respect you'll probably find that no camera phone can match your old samsung right now in terms of features and (perhaps) image quality (depending on how old your camera is).

You can get a great P&S camera for around E150 that will be better than any camera phone out there right now. See the Canon Powershot , Fuji 31fd or Panasonic Lumix range.

If you just want snaps though a camera phone will be fine (and more convenient).

It will be a long time before they are capable of anything like this though (6 megapixel image from dSLR):
    1454194271_79a2400ca9_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

billbond4 wrote: »

Clutching at straws i know... but have O2 announced any timeframe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

xanthor wrote: »
    Clutching at straws i know... but have O2 announced any timeframe?

I was told "maybe November, certainly by Christmas" in an O2 shop on saturday.

Just got this email back from O2

Subject: RE: Sony ericsson K850i

Dear Liam,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Unfortunately, after extensive testing O2 have decided not to range this model. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We hope this is of assistance.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us by mail or by calling the Speakeasy Helpline on 1747 from your O2 phone (0.14c per call) or 1850 60 1747 from a landline (please contact your service provider for call charges) or 1909 for billpay customers.

Kind Regards,
    #######
    O2 Customer Care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i wonder what the reason is for them not going with it is. Hopefully it is not because it is crap. I really want to get a new mobile this christmas, and this was the one that was ticking the most boxes (N95 just seems a bit too big)

I was hoping it would be in the shops sometime soon so I could get a feel for the phone and see if i liked the new keypad. Bugger.

Back to the drawing board now.

Yeah its strange that they dropped it, it had been in test since July.
    Must have been some incompatible with the O2 network or something.
    Was looking forward to getting it on my upgrade, will have to see what other phones O2 will bring out for christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

new Samsung G800 : from the press release - due in Europe in November.
    The Samsung G800 is the world’s first 5 megapixel camera phone with 3x optical zoom lens. The G800 looks like a streamlined digital camera on one side and a fashionable mobile phone on the other side. The Samsung G800 also offers face detection, Xenon flash and Wide Dynamic Range, and video editing functions allow users to cut, paste, and edit their own films.

samsung_g800_mobile_phone_camera.jpg

5083-showimagephp.jpg

• Advertisement

from http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/16758/samsung-g800-preview/ :

Samsung G800 handset preview - Mobile Photography
    To bad I was not able the shoot some product shots of the camera due to the security label attached to the front side. Samsung G800 specifications learn us that the sensor offers 5 Megapixel resolution. Of course it is not only about the pixels, as we have seen for many years with the digital camera megapixel race. Internal processing software, image processor, pixel quality, sensitivity range and noise, effective flash range, stabilisation technology, etc. that will take the Samsung G800 right into the top of Mobile Photography or drop it like a stone when those features are not well enough developed. As soon as we receive a full production model of we publish a Samsung G800 review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I find the 2mp autofocus on the K750i?W810i decent in the right light. Certainly its better to have a photo than no photo when you need it. 2mp can print fine at 6"x4". Whats the point of comparing a DSLR with a camera phone? Thats just pointless. Compare it with a basic point & shoot ok, that has some relevence. For many the trade off of always having a camera to hand is better than lugging around another device.

You can use FlickR to explore photos based on a specific camera or camera phone. Some of the photos up there seem ok too me. Also from an artistic point of view you don't always want a perfect pin sharp photo.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/sonyericsson/k750i/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 aikon

Found out from O2 that they will have the K850i in November.

Just got this back from O2
    ##########################
    Dear Liam

Please note that we have identified a miscommunication in the previous reply that was sent to you

O2 are delighted to inform you that the Sony Ericsson K850i will be available to Postpaid Customers in November 2007. This particular Handset will be exclusive to O2 for 2007

Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us

Kind Regards

########

Team Leader - O2 Customer Care

Advertisement